• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Laziness?

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I understand that anybody and everybody can and will be lazy if they want to be. That said, I wonder if there is, in fact, a connection between certain cognitive function(s) that can cause someone to be more lazy than the next person. Immobile, slow to react, laziness, what ever you want to call it, could there be a correlation between that behavior and a function? And how does laziness look for a xxxP person versus a xxxJ person?
tumblr_mxx8qqj7vI1rgpyeqo1_500.png
<--- great tattoo idea for me lol

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No

​they're cognitive functions, not behavior functions

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm a pretty lazy person but that's mostly a side effect of depression. I never do anything. In my free time I don't participate in clubs or community anything. I just laze around and never leave my room.

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Depends on how you define laziness. If laziness = physical inaction, then Ne-Si might tend itself to more laziness than Se-Ni (physicality and in-the-moment + Ni fixation). Also any introvert caught in a loop isn't likely to do anything useful until they reengage their auxiliary function. I also feel like low Je users would have a hard time getting their lives together.

I found a really interesting Tumblr post a few months back about some relationship between the location of Je in the stack and now well the user generally gets on in the world, likening it to an instruction manual. Je-doms have it memorized whereas inf-Je lost it a long time ago and is kind of flopping around hoping they stumble upon it again.

But as Forever said, the functions aren't behavioral; they're cognitive. Even Te-doms can be lazy. Even Ne-doms.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are different types of laziness (intellectual, physical, spiritual, etc.) and I don't believe any type or function is more prone to general laziness than another. I also think a lot of the time when someone labels another as lazy, they simply don't understand the other person's goals and methods of achieving them.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
Theoretically, no. (J types are more vigorous outwardly while P types are more vigorous inwardly.) Empirically, yes. The P-J axis in MBTI has a moderate correlation (R = 0.49) to conscientiousness in the Big Five model. Conscientiousness can be broken down into two more specific aspects: Orderliness and Industriousness (opposite of laziness). The correlation will probably be small, but it'll be there. So P types are on average somewhat lazier than J types. Relating that to functions: Pe and Ji tend to be slightly lazier than Pi and Je.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I can be very lazy. I really wish I wasnt. Its something that Ive been working on/have to power though. I dont know. Even this post is kind of lazy. I think Im a pretty strong P though- not that that says anything but--- well, certain J characteristics that might look less like laziness arent necessarily my strenghts. But- yeah- that doesnt mean that I cant try.