• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the difference between a paranoid ISFP and an INFP one?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd like to understand this.

From what I understand, I think that INFPs are more likely to be afraid of all the possible things that might happen. For me, I kind of expect that I know how things will play out simply by combining a lot of unrelated factors to reach a conclusion. Which is something I do kind of unconsciously. Combine that with anxiety, and I'm constantly assuming that I know how things are and how they will be based on both my experience with such things in the past (Si) and my opinions about what something means (a combination of both Fi and Ne).

I don't think I'm afraid of what's happening in the moment so much as I'm afraid of what the present will mean for the future. That is to say that I seem to generate a myriad of ways in which what is happening now could follow a chain of future events and lead to inevitable isolation, pain and disaster. When I'm scared of people, I get upset, internalize everything and sometimes if pushed too much, lash out and say things as they are without tact or remorse. Like an extreme version of Te, used irrationally and in self-defense.

I think that ISFPs probably do this as well, but perhaps they are more focused on how what is happening now will affect them. I would guess that, depending on the person, they would either take the thing that is bothering them head-on or they would simply run away from the perceived, real-or-not threat. They're probably more focused in on one thing, or a person that gives them a bad vibe, or a meal at a restaurant that might cause food-poisoning.

Any ISFPs who want to chime in are free to correct this, as that's just my impression of them rather than the perspective of one. They do have Ni in their function stack, after all, so I suppose they would become hyper-focused on details and read into things far beyond what they actually are. I don't know much more than that. I think there would be some kind of in-the-grip behaviour involved.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From what I understand, I think that INFPs are more likely to be afraid of all the possible things that might happen.

For me at least, I'll have a strong suspicion one thing will happen / will be very likely to happen (I may see various possibilities but I'll hone in on only one and see only one as most likely, and won't pay other possibilities much mind). I think this is the Ni vs NeSi.

But a more deeply engrained paranoia I think is more along the self-fulfilling prophecy route. ISFP starts thinking one thing is the case (FiNi), begins acting and seeing things as if it is the case, and it becomes the case. (Example: When young, I started becoming paranoid that people were rejecting me / didn't like me / were often teasing me. Now the reality is, some of this DID happen. But because of my sensitivity I started thinking lots of people were doing this, so I withdrew and isolated myself socially. Thus, self fulfilling).

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me at least, I'll have a strong suspicion one thing will happen / will be very likely to happen (I may see various possibilities but I'll hone in on only one and see only one as most likely, and won't pay other possibilities much mind). I think this is the Ni vs NeSi.

But a more deeply engrained paranoia I think is more along the self-fulfilling prophecy route. ISFP starts thinking one thing is the case (FiNi), begins acting and seeing things as if it is the case, and it becomes the case. (Example: When young, I started becoming paranoid that people were rejecting me / didn't like me / were often teasing me. Now the reality is, some of this DID happen. But because of my sensitivity I started thinking lots of people were doing this, so I withdrew and isolated myself socially. Thus, self fulfilling).

Yes, that's sort of what I was trying to get at. Thanks for wording it better.

That definitely makes a lot of sense to me, I'm sure it will be helpful to the OP.

Clegane

MBTI Type
ISTP
I relate mostly with the ISFP paranoid description. Uhm this is very interesting.

When I'm paranoid I get super vigilant. I start hearing EVERYTHING, and feel what's around me. Then, for example, I hear a word and give a meaning to it, so I start thinking they're talking about me etc.