• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne vs. Ni Imagination

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's important to learn survival skills. I know how to camp alone and am very independent. When stocking up on food, you have to think about resources like water, gas, coal, wood etc. It's important not to collect items which will have to always be cooked, and meat and dairy spoil much more quickly than almost anything plant based. I've considered living off grid, also just to reduce my environmental footprint.

As someone who's studying environmental science, your concerns are real, but there are actions which can be taken to slow down or prevent these events, which is why I am a loud mouth about it. Not because I think the end is nigh...but the end will be fuckin' nigh if people don't stop their shit and pay attention. Practical examples are big picture large scale actions like renewable energy, but individuals have a responsibility to curb their consumption of fossil fuels, metals/ores/minerals, and animal products. Think of it as a domino effect.

But yeah I do think people who have tuned out are metaphorically zombies, I'm a huge horror person, and historically horror eras tend to reflect what is really happening socially in that time period. Zombie apocalypse is all around us. People need to be awoken.
I'm with you on this, and respect anyone being a 'loud mouth about it'. I love nature more than anything and want to live as simply as possible, and value environmentalism. My dream is to have a cabin off the grid, and possibly be the person who helps rehabilitate wild animals.

I also live in what is apparently a more violent area than I realized (although it may be that many places are becoming more violent). Multiple people I know have had serious assaults within the last few years, and theft is common. Seriously, all it would take would be a week or two without electricity and this place would be filled with rioting and violence. I can also feel the tension everywhere, including when driving.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm with you on this, and respect anyone being a 'loud mouth about it'. I love nature more than anything and want to live as simply as possible, and value environmentalism. My dream is to have a cabin off the grid, and possibly be the person who helps rehabilitate wild animals.

I also live in what is apparently a more violent area than I realized (although it may be that many places are becoming more violent). Multiple people I know have had serious assaults within the last few years, and theft is common. Seriously, all it would take would be a week or two without electricity and this place would be filled with rioting and violence. I can also feel the tension everywhere, including when driving.

Yes interesting I want out of my area too. All it requires is a natural disaster which become more common as sea levels rise, and hydraulic fracturing has actually been known to trigger earthquakes. My science text books are even more enlightening than anything I have seen politically. Recycling is not optional anymore, as we are physically running out of not only gas and oil, but tantalum is scarce and has lead to tribal wars in Africa, where indigenous people are being as tormented as any 19th century Appalachian coal miner so that Apple can release a new iPhone every year. There's also a critical component in LCD screens which could be gone in 30 years, so will either require reuse and recycling or new technology. The "progress" made in the past 100 years is being turned on its head. New technology will actually have to be fueled differently with an entirely new infrastructure, even if global warming is slowed.

So the problem isn't just overpopulation and war, but over consumption and outmoded ways of thinking. And while I certainly have diversions of my own - we all need to relax - people just mindlessly repeating habitatual social behaviors is the tragedy of the commons. The phrase Ive seen "we are literally eating the world" definitely evokes images of zombies brainlessly aiming always forward to consume the next person.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Imagine a hyperactive kid in class.

Now imagine a adult.

Combine the two.

Add a little doctor suess

Some ideals from Socrates

A dash of scooby doo

A spoonful of sarcasm

Diced up inhibitions

A teaspon of responsibility

Bam! A concoction of something that might give you an aneurysm if I try to explain it

Last edited:

ghostlightjacob

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I use Ni, but I'm rather confused on why my imagination does what it does.

I love being imaginative. In my leisure I tend to disappear into fantasy, but also when my Fe fails, I slip into Ni. That said when there's interpersonal conflict in the external world, I tap into my internal world. This internal world is usually based on those around me, my friends, my family, and myself. Typically, I unconsciously translate conflicts and human flaws into aspects of the story line and character development in my mind. I spend a lot of my time writing campaigns for my dungeons and dragons games and writing TV series based around my friends where I predict behavior and see how our future will go. I see musicals and compare friends to characters, and invent different towns and worlds and islands, usually in interconnected universes. I usually look at people like characters and time as the driver of plots. So fun.

This is a great question to which I find great difficulty in finding a proper response.

So here’s my attempt.

I think of my imagination as being like water. It is fluid figuratively. It exists in no particular shape. It’s completely malleable and flexible. Along comes a thought, a container. A glass for instance. The glass -the thought- shapes my imagination -the water- into something very specific and definable. It can fit into whatever I need it to and take shape.

That’s the best I’ve got.

Edit: Yes Bruce Lee’s interview when he compares Jeet Kune Do to being like water definitely inspired my comment in terms of discussing flexibility. Adjust to a situation or in this case thought. Thanks Bruce.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ne-dom here, and I don't feel like it is particularly imaginative. Most of anything that somebody might describe coming from me as 'imaginative' and 'fanciful', I describe as 'possibility'. Which to me seems the opposite of imagination, it's very much tied to reality.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne-dom here, and I don't feel like it is particularly imaginative. Most of anything that somebody might describe coming from me as 'imaginative' and 'fanciful', I describe as 'possibility'. Which to me seems the opposite of imagination, it's very much tied to reality.

I agree, and this is a very important distinction as well, between what is “fanciful” and what is “possibility”. I never really distinguished the two myself come to think about it, but you’re very right, when I’m spouting off idealisms and dreams as others may describe them, on some level, they will always to me, at least feel attainable, or tangible in some regard, still loosely rooted in reality. I don’t often know exactly how to get to 10, but show me 1 and 2, and I’ll take you to 10, and just by simply working with 1 and 2, feels “enough” for me to then leap towards 10 and have a sense of certainty behind it.

I suddenly noticed I never actually did share my imaginations here in the thread. Perhaps I’ll return if time is on my side tonight :)

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Imagination is more complex than you think , Imagination require changing our point of view about concepts/material things .
Yeah , Ne by default have a big advantage but even Ne is limited by knowledge and experiencies .

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've never seen the N functions as equating to imagination myself personally. Imagination is far too broad and neblious an concept to really sum up to a function I personally think. Imagnation is a universal human thing so each function would probably show imagnation in their way like for instance to keep in the context of this thread Ne would show imagnation via abstract landscape play while Ni shows via abstract painting (Ni paints a frame work based on abstraction)

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I've never seen the N functions as equating to imagination myself personally. Imagination is far too broad and neblious an concept to really sum up to a function I personally think. Imagnation is a universal human thing so each function would probably show imagnation in their way like for instance to keep in the context of this thread Ne would show imagnation via abstract landscape play while Ni shows via abstract painting (Ni paints a frame work based on abstraction)

We can analize any work of art using logic , emotions , historical context , rhythm , style , meaning ,ect. i mean you need to develoment funtions that aren't your strongest .
And alot of people forget hard work xD , i think anybody can improve to reach that potential but you need discipline and not being lazy.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

thats because you are able to imagination