• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cold-Hearted Feelers and Unintelligent Thinkers

heart

heart on fire
Well... I mean I know an idiot ISTP. He does things logically, and impersonally -- makes decisions based on logic rather than emotions, but he still does things poorly because he's not very smart, and therefore can't use/construct logic very well.

I know a ISTP like this too, it is part of why I started the thread. I was actually hoping someone who knew far more than I do would come and speak on this issue.

The sad thing is, if this ISTP had a better grasp on his Feeling side and smoothed the way with others more often, his assinine decisions could be more easily overlooked, especially by the feelers in his life and he could make his way so much easier, but he's been doubly scorned, doesn't like to use feeling to make decisions regarding others and yet too unintelligent to make wise decisions on his own, he's left out to dry alone...again and again by life through his own bad decisions. Yet he is the first person to say "No sympathy or special treatment for others" and yet he begs for it himself when his own bad decision making skills let him down which he attributes to "statistical bad luck" and then he's puzzled when he burns other people out.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
my family has often told me that i'm cold, distant, that i lack compassion and that i don't seem to care about anything/anyone.
lol a boyfriend in high school told me that i was a "cold hearted bitch".
the thing is, although i can come off like this on the outside, my inside world is much different. I do have compassion, i just don't voice it. I do care about people, but i don't actively help them without them asking, and i don't like to get into their personal business and matters. I also care very deeply about people, especially my family, but i don't show it, because i don't feel comfortable doing so. I guess i just don't wear my feelings on my sleeve, or my heart, or whatever the stupid saying is.
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with emotional damage, but i do have quite a bit of that, so perhaps it does.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my family has often told me that i'm cold, distant, that i lack compassion and that i don't seem to care about anything/anyone.
lol a boyfriend in high school told me that i was a "cold hearted bitch".
the thing is, although i can come off like this on the outside, my inside world is much different. I do have compassion, i just don't voice it. I do care about people, but i don't actively help them without them asking, and i don't like to get into their personal business and matters. I also care very deeply about people, especially my family, but i don't show it, because i don't feel comfortable doing so. I guess i just don't wear my feelings on my sleeve, or my heart, or whatever the stupid saying is.
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with emotional damage, but i do have quite a bit of that, so perhaps it does.

I'm in the exact same boat as you.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oops. That was a joke. I forgot to add the "JK". It's in there now.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
If you don't get jokes, you might not be NT.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Oops. That was a joke. I forgot to add the "JK"
In that case I was joking as well, but yet it remains true...

I apologize Sunshine, I didn't give you enough credit. Haven't had the chance to slice and dice you with my evil perception yet.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
I wonder a lot about emotionally damaged/ emotionally unavailable Feelers and Thinkers who may have cognitive damage/lack of math skills/trouble concentrating, etc.

I wonder how often it happened and if it results in them being mistyped.

What do other people think about this issue?

My hypothesis is that I have suppressed my Fi, maybe due to a vague dissatisfaction with life in general. I overuse my Te, and I would not consider myself a perfectly balanced individual. Because of my dominant Ne and more-prominent-than-average Te, I am extremely dependent on externall situations. When I am alone, I move to the nearest place that another person is. Period. I have ONLY tested as an ENTP, but I am not one. I am an ENFP, but an ENFP who looks NOTHING like the type description except for the use of Ne. (Lateral thinking etc).

Edit: So when we're talking about suppressing functions, this is kind of a whole new area. I really think if like were not "eat to live, work to eat" then I would look like a normal ENFP. But the condition that people must live in is nothing but sad to me. And maybe that's reason enough for my subconscious to "block out" how I feel.

Edit: I pick up new skills constantly, a perfect example of Ne being directed by Te. I learn a skill for a month and then I learn a new skill, and over and again, but empathy is less involved. I am only interested in growing through the feedback of how people react with how I think and what I believe. That sounds like an "I" suppression to me.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I did not read the whole thread. F vs. T is about how we make sense of and interpret the world. Do we use feeling or thinking? It does not say anything with respect to the nature of the feeling or thinking. It makes no difference whether people are mean and nasty vs. good or intelligent vs. dumb.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I am one of them
my childhood was not candy canes and such
but i still champion that and hold no bitterness for it-quite the opposite

but if you only knew how much i doubted my type
a lot
i still think i'm an INTJ, maybe i am
but i am not seeing as clearly as i want to

I spoke with you under a different name and I think your INTJ with higher feeling function.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder a lot about emotionally damaged/ emotionally unavailable Feelers and Thinkers who may have cognitive damage/lack of math skills/trouble concentrating, etc.

I wonder how often it happened and if it results in them being mistyped.

What do other people think about this issue?
It does seem much more difficult to type people who have been damaged by life. MBTI has some well thought out poles of cognitive processing, but it doesn't account for everything. There are a lot of people who just barely fit a category and/or fit multiple ones based on specific contexts. The "objective" and "subjective" worlds both impact day to day life, so the individual who discounts either will have incomplete information and their effectiveness in solving conflicts and problems they encounter will reflect that. Also the interplay of individual perception and external reality is far more complex than being an "F" or a "T". We all interact with objective reality through a distorted lens, it is the nature of that distortion which differs. All thought is impacted by the emotional hardwiring in our brains in differing ways. Also, the role of ego-centricity in perception (the inability to view the world outside our personal little sphere) is possibly more profound than whether a person is an "F" or a "T".

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I have trouble concentrating. I'm not an optimal Thinker. :(