• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cold-Hearted Feelers and Unintelligent Thinkers

heart

heart on fire
I wonder a lot about emotionally damaged/ emotionally unavailable Feelers and Thinkers who may have cognitive damage/lack of math skills/trouble concentrating, etc.

I wonder how often it happened and if it results in them being mistyped.

What do other people think about this issue?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am one of them
my childhood was not candy canes and such
but i still champion that and hold no bitterness for it-quite the opposite

but if you only knew how much i doubted my type
a lot
i still think i'm an INTJ, maybe i am
but i am not seeing as clearly as i want to

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think my ADD really played with my thinking preference.

I used to not be able to really focus at all on anything and could only sustain any prolonged thinking for a short amount of time before I got bored. So I really played soccer a lot and would actually look forward to practice because it was relaxed and I could have fun playing with my teammates.

I basically needed fast paced stimulation and couldn't ride that curiosity into a depth of knowledge that thinkers are known for. I had sort of a light hearted logic thing going. hated completely illogical statements or superficial comments but wouldn't raise hell(even mentally) if there was a minor to decent mistake and id back off before it got too detailed.

It basically ended up in me alternating between endless joking and intense naiive seriousness that would be slightly insightful but limited in effectiveness.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've been rather isolated, and may have some kind of social anxiety disorder. Essentially, I'm terrified of making a mistake in my interactions with people, and if I feel like I have, my habit is to run away from the situation and avoid that particular person/situation from then on, even if I end up sacrificing a lot of goals, integrity, and opportunities to do so.

This results in me limiting my interaction more than I should due to fear that other people wouldn't like my awkwardness, and a tendency to be a perfectionist with regards to how I come across (a bad trait because of the fact that I have little experience). It results in very stiff, cool, formal interaction that no one really likes, but doesn't make anyone dislike me either.

My feelings seem to become weak without other people, though. I don't need them to survive, but I do need them in order to be happy and keep my feelings coherent and conscious.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
All the "good" type descriptions assume people had a chance to develop normally--that parents and teachers honored the preferences of they child and they got to actually use their dominant and, later, auxiliary as they moved through adolescence.

So this thread is right on--ADD, difficulties in childhood, can either block development OR can push development of the other preferences in ways that make it difficult to know what is preferred. Can be a blessing or can really screw you up.

I often joke rather seriously that type is about normal differences among normal people. It doesn't have to be as extreme as child abuse for the maskign to happen.

For example my dad was a community organizer (which, honest, takes a lot of leadership skills no matter what the Republicans say...). We all participated in fundraisers, community events like painting houses for the elderly, going to picnics and gatherings, etc. My siblings and I...it was just assumed at church/school that we could lead stuff too so we got lots of chances to practice our E skills. 4 of us are actually Is. My ISTP brother said it took him 20 years to figure out he was really Introverted but it wasn't all bad because he had a chance in a healthy environment to practice those skills.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hmm, I would say that due to certain past emotional traumas I have become somewhat of a *closed* hearted Feeler. But, I dunno, the only cold-hearted people I have ever come across were Ts. Also, intelligence has nothing to do with F or T-ness, I think.

Terian

MBTI Type
NeTi
Hmm, I would say that due to certain past emotional traumas I have become somewhat of a *closed* hearted Feeler. But, I dunno, the only cold-hearted people I have ever come across were Ts. Also, intelligence has nothing to do with F or T-ness, I think.
I believe that while ENxPs are the two most-likely types to be gifted, ENFPs are more likely than ENTPs.

I think the distinction should be "cold-hearted Feelers" vs "warm-hearted Thinkers".

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think my ADD really played with my thinking preference.

I used to not be able to really focus at all on anything and could only sustain any prolonged thinking for a short amount of time before I got bored. So I really played soccer a lot and would actually look forward to practice because it was relaxed and I could have fun playing with my teammates.

I basically needed fast paced stimulation and couldn't ride that curiosity into a depth of knowledge that thinkers are known for. I had sort of a light hearted logic thing going. hated completely illogical statements or superficial comments but wouldn't raise hell(even mentally) if there was a minor to decent mistake and id back off before it got too detailed.

It basically ended up in me alternating between endless joking and intense naiive seriousness that would be slightly insightful but limited in effectiveness.
I wonder if Asperger's, while maybe increasing intellectual skills somewhat (though maybe oddly, at times), nevertheless increases Fi-like traits (being concerned with one's own wants, being overly sensitive at perceived offenses, etc).

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I wonder if Asperger's, while maybe increasing intellectual skills somewhat (though maybe oddly, at times), nevertheless increases Fi-like traits (being concerned with one's own wants, being overly sensitive at perceived offenses, etc).
Wasn't it settled that what most people unconsciously mean when they refer to Asperger's is "being INTP or INFP." Perhaps that's just my opinion.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
All the "good" type descriptions assume people had a chance to develop normally--that parents and teachers honored the preferences of they child and they got to actually use their dominant and, later, auxiliary as they moved through adolescence.

So this thread is right on--ADD, difficulties in childhood, can either block development OR can push development of the other preferences in ways that make it difficult to know what is preferred. Can be a blessing or can really screw you up.

I was just thinking about this recently. I just discovered Enneagram recently and one of the things I really like about it is how each of the types are described at healthy, average and unhealthy levels. MBTI seems to mostly just describe the healthy version of each type. There is an optimism that seems to feel that differences between people are just a matter of understanding type. It is not always that simple because sometimes you are dealing with with people who have minor or major mental issues.

For example, what if the person you are trying to get along with is verbally abusive, sadistic, manipulative, selfish or narcisistic? Can MBTI shed any clues there that would help us. I am not talking about normal "insenstivity" often attributed to Ts. A healthy T might "insult" you by giving an honest opinion when you ask what he thinks about something, but it is not the same thing as being verbally abusive or intentionally cruel. I think some of these people may be messed up Ss, but it is hard to tell. I am guessing S, because sometimes I try to defend myself verbally with logic and the logic doesn't seem to register at all.

Sometimes I run into people who are both irrational (which would seem to be a low T) and emotionally cruel to other people (which would seem to be a low F). So are they messed up Ts or messed up Fs? Can you even type people like this who are apparently missing one of their top two fuctions.

Ilah

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wasn't it settled that what most people unconsciously mean when they refer to Asperger's is "being INTP or INFP." Perhaps that's just my opinion.
Huh? I never heard of that.Though I heard from at least one type enthusiast that the traits could be explained through type. But I found that to be a bit overgeneralized. Like it's supposed to be lack of Fe consciousness. But then lack of concern for others is not the only aspect of AS. However, being assumed that lack of Fe consciousness implies Fi preference, that would suggest that a Ti type could not have the apparent "syndrome". However, INTP is one of the types that supposedly has a high rate. So this gets right into what I was asking.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Huh? I never heard of that.Though I heard from at least one type enthusiast that the traits could be explained through type. But I found that to be a bit overgeneralized. Like it's supposed to be lack of Fe consciousness. But then lack of concern for others is not the only aspect of AS. However, being assumed that lack of Fe consciousness implies Fi preference, that would suggest that a Ti type could not have the apparent "syndrome". However, INTP is one of the types that supposedly has a high rate. So this gets right into what I was asking.
Generally speaking, I don't buy into these "mild" mental disorders as qualitatively different from normal human psychology.

Specifically speaking, if you've never heard of MBTI, but you have heard of Asperger's, you could easily call most INTPs and some INFPs victims of this "horrible curse."

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I find it important, not to normalize MBTI. So according to the understanding, if some words a person says were really T or really F , it means that this is more to be applied in an interpersonal social complex.

So for example, when I tell a F in linear thinking that I will never watch a TV show again, because in a special moment it sucked and she replies "Oh you will". Then I know according to MBTI theory that this is because she sees things in a holistic manner and she knows that even if I say now "never", this does not mean that on the next day I will not draw a circle in my reasoning and watch the show again. What I wont, cause my T-ness is linear and when I say it, I mean it. :D

What I wanted to say: I do not think that personality psychology still works with intrapersonal mental disorders. You really can bend the theory to fit it and too see it as a holistic working system, because logically personality is made out of mental disorders. But linear spoken MBTI looses its charme in my opinion, when you apply it to medical issues.

It works better as an interpersonal concept, to establish connections between people, who otherwise would have never get to know each other, because they have no way of understanding each other.

Uff that post made me sweat, have to take a shower now

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Where does it say that Fi types are more concerned with their own wants than other types?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Fs can be logical and cold and Ts can be warm and fuzzy.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Also, intelligence has nothing to do with F or T-ness, I think.

You would think that.

Depending on how you rate intelligence this may be true. I maintain that Thinking is necessary to be intelligent, but even still: Being T doesn't make you so.

I know this one ISTP...
Well I'll put it this way. CC, you're not half as dumb as he is.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Where does it say that Fi types are more concerned with their own wants than other types?
What I was trying to convey there was not about Fi types in general, but that people with AS might seem like they have high Fi use because they are so into their own interests and such, over other people. (Hence, why I said "Fi-like").