• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] New Function Orientation: Generalizing and Non-Generalizing

wobbuffet222

MBTI Type
intp
I have a new theory that each of the 8 MBTI functions can be further separated into two different orientations: generalizing and non-generalizing. Generalizing is the much more common orientation which most people have for all four of their functions, and a small number of people have the non-generalizing orientation for one or more of their functions.

I will start with explaining the difference between generalizing SI and non-generalizing SI:

The way generalizing SI works is whenever you think of something like a church steeple, you see one generic, generalized image of a church steeple. But with non-generalizing SI, when you think of a church steeple, you only see several specific church steeples that pop up into memory like Google for images. Here is a link of Temple Grandin explaining how her thinking is similar to how I described non-generalizing SI: Dr. Temple Grandin Describes Thinking in Pictures - YouTube (I think she is an ISTJ with non-generalizing SI)

I have also observed what I think is non-generalized functions for people of other MBTI types too, but I thought I would start with a brief intro.

I wanted to get other people's thoughts on this.