• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] The MBTI Fails Standard Psychological Criteria

Do you like or hate this thread?

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • hate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As I think you know, and as explained in the following TC Wiki page (and the posts it links to), I reject type dynamics.

Reckful on Type Dynamics

The scientifically respectable (dichotomy-centric) districts of the MBTI don't suffer from the circularity of which you speak.

I know, but the subject of this thread is the article I posted, more than half of which you did not respond to in that thread in the INTJ forum.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As I think you know, and as explained in the following TC Wiki page (and the posts it links to), I reject type dynamics.

Reckful on Type Dynamics

The scientifically respectable (dichotomy-centric) districts of the MBTI don't suffer from the circularity of which you speak.

The question does not concern the dichotomy-centric aspects, but the test-centered aspect. Your result is a type, but many people such as myself end up with a dual type result. Mine was, and still is, IXTP.

Secondly, both the modern dichotomy and the function interpretations rely on the assumption that the letters P and J are determined by a formula, not by testing. There are still tests out there where you can test for P and J, but those are somehow considered falsified simply because they are old-fashioned.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Test-retest reliabilities of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator as a function of mood changes / Richard J. Howes and Thomas G. Carskadon

Your moods can determine your type score.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://epublications.bond.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1026&context=hss_pubs
Test-Retest Reliability
McCaulley (1981) has investigated the test-retest reliability (stability) of the MBTI. Estimates of the
proportion of preferences reclassified into the same categories ranged from 61 % to 90%. For
continuous scores, median stability coefficients are .78 (E-I), .78 (S-N), .69 (T-F), and .74 (J-P),over
intervals from five weeks to 21 months. For Form G, the corresponding Spearman-Brown corrected
estimates (cf. Ferguson, 1981) are .73 (E-I), .69 (S-N), .64 (T-F), and .69 (J-P). Likewise, for the
abbreviated version (Form A V), the corresponding Spearman-Brown corrected estimates are .52
(E-I), .47 (S-N), .42 (T-F), and .42 (J-P). However, little direct information for Forms G and A V is
available (Carskadon, 1979, 1982). Clearly, Form G is less reliable than Form F (because of the
reduction in number of items), and Form A V is considerably less reliable than Form G. These test-retest
estimates for the current forms of the MBTI indicate some instability. For enduring personality
dispositions, stability estimates should be in the 0.8 to 0.9 range (see Boyle, 1985).​

Another study indicated that 0.9 was the "magic number" for test reliability.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://epublications.bond.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1026&context=hss_pubs

On a different note, there are no scales
built into the MBTI to detect the effects of random responding, response sets such as social
desirability, or either conscious or unconscious response distortion. Social desirability response set
appears to influence scores on the EI and JP scales (McCaulley,1981, p. 339). Also, there is no
control for the mood of the respondent, which may greatly affect responses (Howes & Carskadon,
1979). Consequently, the issue of motivational distortion in the MBTI responses needs to be
addressed.​

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Secondly, both the modern dichotomy and the function interpretations rely on the assumption that the letters P and J are determined by a formula, not by testing. There are still tests out there where you can test for P and J, but those are somehow considered falsified simply because they are old-fashioned.

Say what? The dichotomy-centric MBTI — which I like to call the Real MBTI Model — says that there's no qualititative difference between how you test for J/P and how you test for E/I, S/N or T/F — and that's reflected in both the Step I and Step II versions of the MBTI instrument. The MBTI dimensions are four multifaceted clusters whose variation was presumably selected by evolution for reasons we may never fully understand, and they're essentially tapping into the same real, underlying personality dimensions as four of the Big Five factors.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Say what? The dichotomy-centric MBTI — which I like to call the Real MBTI Model — says that there's no qualititative difference between how you test for J/P and how you test for E/I, S/N or T/F — and that's reflected in both the Step I and Step II versions of the MBTI instrument. The MBTI dimensions are four multifaceted clusters whose variation was presumably selected by evolution for reasons we may never fully understand, and they're essentially tapping into the same real, underlying personality dimensions as four of the Big Five factors.

What I'm saying is that I have seen your preferred system rejected *merely* on the basis that it is old. I have seen it done on this forum. I am not stating my own preference.

As far as I'm concerned, there are just three different systems which use the same letters: MBTI, JCF, and Socionics. People get them confused, or they think one is superior to another.

KitchenFly

That's my point. Dish washing doesn't require brain power, so that would be a great career for thinking about other things while working.

Dish washing dose require brain power. It is the people who don't use brain power while washing dish that leave a pile of dishes that have not been washed properly.

You also need brain power to mop a flour properly and you need brain power to strip and polish a flour properly.

The only job that doesn't require brain power is being an Internet web page designer.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dish washing dose require brain power. It is the people who don't use brain power while washing dish that leave a pile of dishes that have not been washed properly.

You also need brain power to mop a flour properly and you need brain power to strip and polish a flour properly.

The only job that doesn't require brain power is being an Internet web page designer.

I don't know what a flour is.

KitchenFly

I don't know what a flour is.

Well so we can deduce that you most likely have type 1 in your Trifix.

What do you think may be your lest developed function, try working it out from reading your reply to my post.