• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Need for feedback

Gone

So I was thinking about my teamleader. He's a person who puts so much emphasis on feedback. So, so much, more than any other person I've ever encountered, and it's not even fishing for compliments, it's just, he wants to know precisely what everyone thinks and feels and if anything could be improved, because, like he said, he doesn't always notice himself what's wrong, or even if something is wrong. Also, he makes a lot of effort to give feedback himself, though it doesn't seem to come naturally to him. It's like, he values it so much he goes great lenghts to let everyone know what he thinks and set a good example.

So I was wondering. Can this be attributed to a specific cognitive function, or a set of functions, or is this just someone striving to become an ideal team leader? Maybe insecurities?

I have some conflicting thoughts toward this, and to lay them all out would result in a really large wall of text, so I'll stop here and wait for your thoughts. Can be provided later though.
Questions are welcome as well, everything is appreciated.

Shaedow

I could hypothesis this is influenced by extraversion. Input from their surroundings rather than within.

I do know of an ENFP who is like this seeking feedback but whether that's all ENFPs or just a personal quirk I can't say with any certainty.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know if it's related to any one function or not, but I am also a person who requires a lot of external feedback. Possibly Je. Depending on who this person is (as I don't know them myself), I could also see it as a potential self-confidence issue. Though the way you describe them doesn't sound unhealthy so I'm not so sure about that.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know if it's related to any one function or not, but I am also a person who required a lot of external feedback. Possibly Je. Depending on who this person is (as I don't know them myself), I could also see it as a potential self-confidence issue. Though the way you describe them doesn't sound unhealthy so I'm not so sure about that.

Agree with the self confidence thing.

It could be a combination of extraversion, Je, and self confidence issues.

Gone

Thanks for your input!

Yes I think extroversion is a given, and yes he seems pretty healthy and happy with himself and the world.
Funny that you would mention an ENFP, [MENTION=26032]Shaedow[/MENTION], I thought he might be one, even though I'm far from sure.

I was considering Je as well, but the more I think about it in his special case it might be lack thereof. This behaviour feels very conscious on his part, sometimes forced, even. As if he wanted to counter his natural flaws.
Only, low Je would indicate high Pe, and shouldn't Pe be able to gather this kind of information without directly asking?
But aaactually, I believe I'm Pe-dom as well and I'm pretty clueless.

Oh I just don't know :D

Shaedow

Thanks for your input! Yes I think extroversion is a given, and yes he seems pretty healthy and happy with himself and the world. Funny that you would mention an ENFP, @Shaedow, I thought he might be one, even though I'm far from sure. I was considering Je as well, but the more I think about it in his special case it might be lack thereof. This behaviour feels very conscious on his part, sometimes forced, even. As if he wanted to counter his natural flaws. Only, low Je would indicate high Pe, and shouldn't Pe be able to gather this kind of information without directly asking? But aaactually, I believe I'm Pe-dom as well and I'm pretty clueless. Oh I just don't know :D

Hmm.. Well you could look into Socionics hidden agenda function? It's that function the individual thinks they are really good at but to others appears forced, awkward or even like they are just over doing it or over compensating for something.
Kind of like when your parents try to be cool around your friends but are trying way too hard... And really just come off as lame :p

I think for ENFps HA function is Te Which could explain why this individual appears Je, yet Pe.

Mole

Permabanned
So I was thinking about my teamleader. He's a person who puts so much emphasis on feedback. So, so much, more than any other person I've ever encountered, and it's not even fishing for compliments, it's just, he wants to know precisely what everyone thinks and feels and if anything could be improved, because, like he said, he doesn't always notice himself what's wrong, or even if something is wrong. Also, he makes a lot of effort to give feedback himself, though it doesn't seem to come naturally to him. It's like, he values it so much he goes great lenghts to let everyone know what he thinks and set a good example.

So I was wondering. Can this be attributed to a specific cognitive function, or a set of functions, or is this just someone striving to become an ideal team leader? Maybe insecurities?

I have some conflicting thoughts toward this, and to lay them all out would result in a really large wall of text, so I'll stop here and wait for your thoughts. Can be provided later though.
Questions are welcome as well, everything is appreciated.

Each of us has mirror neurons in our brain so we are hardwired to mirror each other, in other words, to provide feedback to one another.

And we have been selected to mirror one another, and so create one large mind. Another way of putting it is that mirroring creates a very large animal, and we are the largest animal on the planet, and it shows.

As well we become a person by being mirrored in our mother's eyes. By mirroring us back to ourselves, by providing feedback, our mother makes us conscious of who we are.

So our mirror neurons create us, and makes us the most powerful animal on the planet. Thank you Natural Selection.