• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Differentiating Between Function and Life Experience/Growth

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Wondering how any of you determine which parts of you are due to your function stack, and which, is from personal development and growth from experiences you have gone through in life.

I think of this here and there in trying to weed through my psyche and towards a deeper understanding of myself. One example I will give, is that I am usually a very friendly and giving person. There were multiple events in my life that led to this outward approach towards others, but I feel the major reason for this, is not some function or particular stacking, but because I made it a point to myself in adolescence that I was no longer going to be selfish, rude, and just a dick to those around me. As hard as it can seem, I used to be that "typical" teenage brat that expected things and that placed himself at the center of the universe. That's also just a typical teenage thing, but I just wasn't happy, nor happy with who I was. Again, there were particular events in my life that led me to that decision, that pivotal point, where I decided to shift my perspective on life entirely, but what you see today, is that personal development that has become so much a part of me, it can easily appear just as any hinting of this function or that.

I feel I've been making some headway in figuring out the nuances of my being, but I'm curious if any of you have wondered this as well at some point? Where is the line drawn from personality type and all the extra goodness that a typing cannot provide, but something living life can only give you?

Thanks in advance!

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
but I'm curious if any of you have wondered this as well at some point?

Yes, I have. I probably think about it a lot more than i realize.

Where is the line drawn from personality type and all the extra goodness that a typing cannot provide, but something living life can only give you?

Oh, you mean that we're not just our type? That's odd...

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
This is something that I have struggled with as well and it is why I am unsure of my type right now.

Who I am now in my mid-30's is dramatically different than who I was in my late teens. I have had a hard time trying to reconcile which functions could be responsible for such a shift in behaviour.

Life experiences do have such an impact on us. I went through something very difficult last year and it has changed who I am and how I look at things.

I wish there was more information about how the functions and types can develop into middle age and beyond because I do think life experiences and development of the supporting functions can cause major personality changes. I also think it would be interesting for someone to research how the different functions respond to significant life events and traumas.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I basically grew up feeling like my thoughts and emotions were not considered valid UNLESS I was able to explain my rationale so there is a marked detachment and aloofness in my overall presentation. So, I am told I come off quiet, highly analytical, and very detailed-oriented.

Because of other life experiences, I automatically think of different ways to accomplish my goals.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
All of my personality is me.

Expression and cognition are where my type comes from.