First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    I can't relate, but these types of questions/tests are akin to leading questioning, and thus seem flawed and inaccurate, only serving as an echo chamber for pre-existing stereotypes, doing little or no useful work at distilling actual innate traits, which is something arguably much harder to embed into a question.
    Do you have any ideas of better questions?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Do you have any ideas of better questions?
    That depends on how thorough you want them to be. I do think it's first necessary to establish foundational trait-behavior-preference correlation in order to then embed that knowledge into useful empirical examples that aren't explicitly leading the test taker into.

Otherwise if it's just another me-too quiz that simply tells people what they want to hear, I'm sure there're plentiful examples around.
    Likes Z Buck McFate, rainybisto liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    That depends on how thorough you want them to be. I do think it's first necessary to establish foundational trait-behavior-preference correlation in order to then embed that knowledge into useful empirical examples that aren't explicitly leading the test taker into.

Otherwise if it's just another me-too quiz that simply tells people what they want to hear, I'm sure there're plentiful examples around.
    It's not necessarily about traits/behaviors in my mind, it's about cognitive thought processes and people's preferences. I think you are probably familiar with the cognitive functions. Can you come up with any example questions to test for Ni? How about just one?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Default Do You Think Introverted Intuition Is Focused On The Future

I think what all four (ENFP, ENTP, INFJ, INTJ) have in common, is that they like to gage the present in contrast of the past to predict the future and rely on there impression to plan for the future and to manipulate the future. This can lead to a life is a gamble take a chance mentality and chance is rewarding it needs a plan and risk is exciting it can yield understandings.

I like your questions, but I think they are to "N" the kind of "N" that is universal. At a level all types equally inter reflect and that requires all four function to work in tandem to steer the ruder (up down left right) of the Passions. The passions that influence us are constantly in flux to sustain and promote a satisfied self, and a balanced Self. That is the nature of emotion "forward movement" though time.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

It's interesting because I have always had a very long range view of the future - like 20 or 30 years. I plan that far ahead. I'm always thinking about what is going to happen in the future. I think many INTJs do this. I have always thought Ne is more about picking up on emerging patterns - so it's more accurate at predicting the short range future than Ni is which is more focused on long term.

I wonder if INFJs are different than INTJs on this question.
    I agree that Ne is generally more connected to the present or immediate future context, but I wouldn't call it prediction when it does take a long-range view. There seems more certainty in Ni types, or more determination to enact a long-range vision, which as an NP (or maybe it's just me), I don't have much patience for.

I don't think Ne focuses on predicting so much as exploring possible ways something could develop. IMO, it is less a certainty of what will be as it is a hopeful anticipation for or dire warning of what could be.

I think of authors like Huxley and Orwell who are usually (and correctly) typed as NPs, and they wrote about dystopias that reflect some present realities or future potential.

iNtuition in general is not simply about the future so much as the underlying currents of reality and where they can or will lead, and this can include a fascination with how the past developed into now and especially symbols throughout time and cultures.

SJs seem to plan a lot for the future, in my observation, but it seems more out of a fear, maybe (?). My SP sister considers herself "future-oriented" because (like most people) she daydreams and she also likes to fill up her social calendar months in advance. Having that something fun to look forward to helps soothe her in moments of everyday boredom.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes highlander, N/A, Lady_X, Dreamer liked this post

Permabanned

It's not necessarily about traits/behaviors in my mind, it's about cognitive thought processes and people's preferences. I think you are probably familiar with the cognitive functions. Can you come up with any example questions to test for Ni? How about just one?
    Like I said, I can't relate.

Default Do You Think Introverted Intuition Is Focused On The Future

Would you gamble on taking a chance because you adamantly believe you know the future, the out come?
    Likes Lady_X liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by KitchenFly View Post
    I think what all four (ENFP, ENTP, INFJ, INTJ) have in common, is that they like to gage the present in contrast of the past to predict the future and rely on there impression to plan for the future and to manipulate the future. This can lead to a life is a gamble take a chance mentality and chance is rewarding it needs a plan and risk is exciting it can yield understandings.

I like your questions, but I think they are to "N" the kind of "N" that is universal. At a level all types equally inter reflect and that requires all four function to work in tandem to steer the ruder (up down left right) of the Passions. The passions that influence us are constantly in flux to sustain and promote a satisfied self, and a balanced Self. That is the nature of emotion "forward movement" though time.
    The thing is, I'm trying to differentiate between Ne and Ni as opposed to a general preference for intuition. My theory is that if cognitive functions provide a richer and more nuanced view of the differences in how people perceive and make decisions, that you should be able to evaluate a person's preferences for those cognitive functions to reliably determine their type. So if the questions don't elicit responses which align with those preferences (extraverted vs. introverted intuition) correctly, the test is ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I agree that Ne is generally more connected to the present or immediate future context, but I wouldn't call it prediction when it does take a long-range view. There seems more certainty in Ni types, or more determination to enact a long-range vision, which as an NP (or maybe it's just me), I don't have much patience for.

I don't think Ne focuses on predicting so much as exploring possible ways something could develop. IMO, it is less a certainty of what will be as it is a hopeful anticipation for or dire warning of what could be.
    That's interesting and helpful. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by KitchenFly View Post
    Would you gamble on taking a chance because you adamantly believe you know the future, the out come?
    Sure. I did that with several major decisions in my life and they have worked out pretty well for the most part. I'm not always right though. The situations where I've had more success is where I've had more data points and the ones where I've failed, I've not considered major data points that should have been considered.

Tri-type 639
    Likes rainybisto liked this post

It's interesting because I have always had a very long range view of the future - like 20 or 30 years. I plan that far ahead. I'm always thinking about what is going to happen in the future. I think many INTJs do this. I have always thought Ne is more about picking up on emerging patterns - so it's more accurate at predicting the short range future than Ni is which is more focused on long term.

I wonder if INFJs are different than INTJs on this question.
    I too, also enjoy long term planning. I told myself as a child that I was going to at least try college by 23, get married at 25, have 1-2 children by 35, and so on. I'm 25 and completed the first half successfully, all correctly guessed and manifested. But I don't believe that's a strict Ni thing or Ne thing. Any type can enjoy long term planning, even fantasizing about what could be. The only thing I notice is that xNxx types in general like to live in the past or in the future, but never really in the present.

INFJs have Fe, so, perhaps there is a certain sentimentality whenever we want something to happen in the future, but we can be immobile and not make certain things happen. (Note to self: thinking about something you want to happen isn't the same as actually going out there and doing it. ;p) Whereas INTJs have Te, and it gives them more of an advantage to go forth and realize their plans into reality. These are just my observations, of course.

Ok. I'm not an Ni dom, but I have it. @highlander Are you looking for overall agreement of Ni or just relegating that to Ni doms?

I don't know how you're setting the test up though.

Will the questions be sorted by filtering dominant cog function first? Then working down the line from that point?