• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] how do people become their MBTI types?

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
a lot of people say that it's out of choice but personally i wouldn't have chosen to be my MBTI type. i can understand if it was out of circumstance though.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
a lot of people say that it's out of choice

I've never seen anyone say this. I agree with you though, it's definitely not.

Just the other day I was wondering if nature/nurture plays into type. Would I still be an ISFJ if I were raised under different circumstances?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it seems to me that it would be a combination of nature/nurture. it's odd when you have just one person in a family that's a completely different type. i wonder how that happens. forever i thought my parents were enfp and infj but found out this year that my mom is infp. so...two enfp kids, an isfj and an isfp. it's curious.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think Jung said something about energetic preferences that result from having greater "success" with certain processes over others. In other words, while there may be some innate preference, conditioning seems to do most of the work.

But take it with salt because it's been a while since I read pstypes.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I think when the soul reincarnates into its body, it comes with a certain "script" or what have you. This basically assesses the nature of the environment one was born into, and then the infant will select the MBTI type which best reflects the relation between who the individual truly is and what the environment they were placed into is like. I think in a great many cases though it will be essentially selected by the time of birth.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was elected president of the INFPs at birth. I suppose that's circumstance. :shrug:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFJ's only come by deal of the devil. :devil:

Sorry boiz. It was a pre-earth thing.

eisce faery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It is strange that everyone in my family are so disparate in type that I can only conclude that it was through birth. Anyone having a clue how genetics works, knows that two brown eyed parents can have a blue eyed child. Things may not be all that obvious on the surface, but I will say that there are a lot of things that changes genetics because of environmental factors all the same like what we find with epigenetics. In that same way we can be changed for good or ill by environmental factors (nurture - if you will). Having the same type doesn't make you the same person. The evolution of a personality is different from the MBTI type of that person.

Stepping back to view at a distance why there are 16 types. It would seem there are 16 distinct brain patterns in which the central nervous system naturally falls into certain grooves of thought and behaviour. That seems like a very plausible argument for genetic reasons for base personality.

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well both of my parents claim to be NPs (specifically INPs but I think my mom is either SFJ or ENFP).

Both of my mom's parents are almost undoubtedly sensors (both ESFJ I think), as are my dad's mother (ESFP) and stepfather (ISTP). I don't know his biological father so I can't say for him.

I'm toeing the line between sensor and intuitive. (IxTP)

Not sure how much is nurture and how much is nature.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I did a strange witch ritualistic dance and thus, became the INFJ I am today.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I did a strange witch ritualistic dance and thus, became the INFJ I am today.

That's basically how I did it too. :p

In other words, how did I become the MBTI I am? Wouldn't YOU like to know...

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Genetics and the environment.

Permabanned

I got mine in the cereal box, which was quite a lucky feat. when you consider it's actually random??