First 12

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I can sense and understand the emotions others are experiencing if I am given enough information. A random crying person with no context? No idea. Crying person after someone smacks them? Easy.

I don't feel what the other person is though. It's intellectual for me (I can feel what they feel, but it's really rare and I tend to block that if it starts). Basically I look at their situation, what lead to feeling the way they are feeling, what kinds of things are they thinking, etc. all of the thoughts and actions that lead to a feeling. That makes lots of sense.
    Likes geedoenfj, Consilience, Dreamer liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    As an inferior Fe, I find it easy to pick up on what someone is feeling but very, very difficult to know how to express any consolation to someone with a situation I have not been through myself.

It's sort of like this:

This is curious to me. Knowing what someone feels always comes with a "what to do about it" bit of info (experiencing it at some point needen't be nesscessary). It's strange that someone would know what they are feeling, but not know what to do about it .

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    This is curious to me. Knowing what someone feels always comes with a "what to do about it" bit of info (experiencing it at some point needen't be nesscessary). It's strange that someone would know what they are feeling, but not know what to do about it .
    I think experiencing it helps put limits on an otherwise expansive frame of reference. It helps bring a warmth that I know I don't naturally have.

It's better to not say anything than say something that sounds trite or insincere, even if it isn't. It's just that I realize my delivery is less than soft or warm. Even if the sentiment behind it is honest and real.

So, it's like George from "Of Mice and Men" petting the rabbits too hard. I'd rather not do any undue harm. So I'll let someone else handle it.
    Likes Hard liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I think experiencing it helps put limits on an otherwise expansive frame of reference. It helps bring a warmth that I know I don't naturally have.

It's better to not say anything than say something that sounds trite or insincere, even if it isn't. It's just that I realize my delivery is less than soft or warm. Even if the sentiment behind it is honest and real.

So, it's like George from "Of Mice and Men" petting the rabbits too hard. I'd rather not do any undue harm. So I'll let someone else handle it.
    I guess my understanding of emotions in others has more faith to it? I mostly know how to be comforting and supportive on an intuitive level, and feel safe trying things out to find the best way to do it. For some the risk doesn't seem worth it. I also tend to see emotional response (meaning how to respond to others emotions) as fairly consistent. Experience says you don't need to tailor it all that much. The more I think about it though, the more I realize how hard it is to explain.

Also to the bold

Likes ChocolateMoose123 liked this post

I have noticed that ENFJs are typically much better at providing "emotional comfort and understanding" while ESFJs tend to be much better at providing practical, tangible actions in relation to the emotion but they aren't typically the best at reading the big picture of why people are feeling a certain way.