• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] can extroverted feeling do this,,,

chado

MBTI Type
infp
ok those with extroverted feeling can you guys pick up on peoples emotions and experince other peoples emotions that you yourself have never experinced?
eg if someone displays an emotion that you have never experinced for the first time can you pick it up and start experinceing the emotion yourself?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
What kind of emotion would be one that someone else has never experienced?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm personally the worst at empathy.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yes. Fe is not self referential, unlike Fi. It does not need to relate back to itself. It is effortless. But it is mostly more surface. I can feel things I am not aware of experiencing personally (I could have previously experienced the emotion subconsciously, of course).

I can go deeper by placing myself into a similar emotional state to the subject, which I have been told is similar to what FPs do.

A good friend had his son murdered by a home invasion robber a few years ago I haven't lost a son, but I have placed myself into feeling as if it had happened to my son and experienced a much deeper understanding. It served me well trying to comfort him. He says I was very helpful. I mostly just listened, I thought.

A friend's daughter was raped on a vacation and she couldn't understand her ex husband's emotional state. I have never met her ex, but I explored that feeling and gave her some insight she thought was truly eye opening and insightful (and she knew him over 20 years and is a psychologist).

I could go on. Emotional states are very easy......

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ok those with extroverted feeling can you guys pick up on peoples emotions and experince other peoples emotions that you yourself have never experinced?
eg if someone displays an emotion that you have never experinced for the first time can you pick it up and start experinceing the emotion yourself?

As an inferior Fe, I find it easy to pick up on what someone is feeling but very, very difficult to know how to express any consolation to someone with a situation I have not been through myself.

It's sort of like this:

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
As an inferior Fe, I find it easy to pick up on what someone is feeling but very, very difficult to know how to express any consolation to someone with a situation I have not been through myself.

It's sort of like this:

My ISTP sister is the same way. She's emotionally perceptive, but just doesn't know how to express it at all.

As for the OP--not sure. I'm good at empathy but I don't know if I've ever felt something new. I'd have to be in more emotionally-charged situations to really find out. Hopefully one day.

á´…eparted

passages
I can sense and understand the emotions others are experiencing if I am given enough information. A random crying person with no context? No idea. Crying person after someone smacks them? Easy.

I don't feel what the other person is though. It's intellectual for me (I can feel what they feel, but it's really rare and I tend to block that if it starts). Basically I look at their situation, what lead to feeling the way they are feeling, what kinds of things are they thinking, etc. all of the thoughts and actions that lead to a feeling. That makes lots of sense.

á´…eparted

passages

It's sort of like this:

This is curious to me. Knowing what someone feels always comes with a "what to do about it" bit of info (experiencing it at some point needen't be nesscessary). It's strange that someone would know what they are feeling, but not know what to do about it :thinking:.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is curious to me. Knowing what someone feels always comes with a "what to do about it" bit of info (experiencing it at some point needen't be nesscessary). It's strange that someone would know what they are feeling, but not know what to do about it :thinking:.

I think experiencing it helps put limits on an otherwise expansive frame of reference. It helps bring a warmth that I know I don't naturally have.

It's better to not say anything than say something that sounds trite or insincere, even if it isn't. It's just that I realize my delivery is less than soft or warm. Even if the sentiment behind it is honest and real.

So, it's like George from "Of Mice and Men" petting the rabbits too hard. I'd rather not do any undue harm. So I'll let someone else handle it. :laugh:

á´…eparted

passages
I think experiencing it helps put limits on an otherwise expansive frame of reference. It helps bring a warmth that I know I don't naturally have.

It's better to not say anything than say something that sounds trite or insincere, even if it isn't. It's just that I realize my delivery is less than soft or warm. Even if the sentiment behind it is honest and real.

So, it's like George from "Of Mice and Men" petting the rabbits too hard. I'd rather not do any undue harm. So I'll let someone else handle it. :laugh:

I guess my understanding of emotions in others has more faith to it? I mostly know how to be comforting and supportive on an intuitive level, and feel safe trying things out to find the best way to do it. For some the risk doesn't seem worth it. I also tend to see emotional response (meaning how to respond to others emotions) as fairly consistent. Experience says you don't need to tailor it all that much. The more I think about it though, the more I realize how hard it is to explain.

Also to the bold :laugh:

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have noticed that ENFJs are typically much better at providing "emotional comfort and understanding" while ESFJs tend to be much better at providing practical, tangible actions in relation to the emotion but they aren't typically the best at reading the big picture of why people are feeling a certain way.