• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is Fi the most devauled or unappreciated function?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do think it's interesting that people are saying they've never seen Fe get shit on but see it happen to Fi all the time. It's the opposite experience for me. Regardless, I still think Si is shit on more than either of those two. I have definitely seen the selfish Fi user stereotype, though not as much as I've seen the hivemind one. We're probably just more sensitive to hate towards our own functions than we are to others'.

I agree with you in general. SJs typically get the worst evaluations on the online typology communities.

I stand in solidarity with the SJs. :solidarity:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
fwiw we can make a thread about any function and discuss what ways it is undervalued. and the people of who use that function in their first 2 slots will believe in general that it is the most undervalued function. it's how humans work.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Introverted functions tend to have it worse because a lot of what they do is not seen above the surface. Also, introverted functions customize more and are more person specific, so the person with that as their dominant function doesn't get the support or understanding of the masses in the same way as someone using g a more generalized, less specific extraverted function whose workings are more easily observed. I was reading someplace that often introverted types just appear to be less successful versions of their extraverted counterparts when that is not the case really.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi, I was just wondering out of all the function why is it Fi-dom users are often expected to out of all the other types place to most importance on "developing" themselves and becoming/being more well rounded in the commonly thought of or perceived notions that they don't "understand reality" and that it's subjectively biased/useless and does not benefit anyone but the users own subjective and often biased/uselessness realities and seem to entice or provoke so much diversion or distaste?

Just curious and of course to avoid the realization or possible accusations of being "typist" many individuals outright say it, but I think it's pretty obvious and imminent in that the existence and dislike of it is real and obvious.

I've known some Fe types that seem focused on this idea of the development of the individual, but not so much on themselves as others. I think Fi'ers enjoy introspection quite a lot and tend to do it more.

A healthy Fi user wields their feelings and emotions masterfully and can appear to be very empathetic can really understand people on a deep and personal level rather than an abstract and impersonal one. As a strong Ti user I'm pretty good at figuring out peoples' thought processes but that doesn't mean I actually understand them as a whole package. I find healthy Fi's understand people as a whole better.

It is annoying when Fi users assume to much about my feelings. Those are their feelings projected onto me.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
It is annoying when Fi users assume to much about my feelings. Those are their feelings projected onto me.

See I think a healthy Fi user wouldn't do this. Seems to me that a healthy Fi user would already understand how complicated their own unique and individual feelings can be and understand the time and effort it takes to sort through them properly which sounds exactly why you don't like others to assume much about your feelings. The healthy Fi user would naturally see others as unique individuals for which broad and glitchy Te catagorizations wouldn't at all be accurate or sufficient.

An unhealthy Fi user would most likely default to their weak Te when dealing with others.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
What would be helpful for you? I thought I was being respectful to you by not ignoring your comments, but maybe that was the wrong reasoning. I think you're intelligent and have insights that I don't.

It may seem to you that I am being intentionally obtuse, but I can assure you,. I'm not intentionally trying to be myopic or antagonistic. Any foot stepping on I've done has not been because I was trying to diminish or upset you. I honestly didn't realize.

I'm ok with being upset about it, that's not the point of avoidance here. I would like you to address the meat of the issue, which is the extrapolation that I was painting everyone with a broad brush when ironically this whole thread is just a broad brush (if you want to look at it that way)! Your beef is that it's an UNFAIR broad brush (from your vantage point, which is why you assign a negative expression to the statements).

Last edited by a moderator:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It makes me wonder what if I was really projecting my feelings to others too [MENTION=21203]Grand Admiral Crunch[/MENTION]?

Ah the Fi/Fe battle is still stuck in my head. :mellow:

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Aren't you a charmer?

tumblr_ln8nktBUk51qafrh6.png

I'm sure this display of (true) feathers will impress all the INFJs in the room.

More like she's being far too kind and diplomatic with you. :coffee:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
More like she's being far too kind and diplomatic with you. :coffee:

Your propensity to a display of physical violence has already been noted; I am sure the INFJs have saved that tid-bit of info about you and will use it to assess whether you'd be a suitable prospective partner and won't be soon to forget it.

As for me, I see why fid is responding as she is, she's a nice person, and she knows that getting mad out loud back at me profits her none. Plus she's a mod again, so she must live up to the role, and her staying calm while I appear agitated further enhances her credibility, mostly because people like yourself have no ability to parse the purpose in both positive and negative emotional expression. I have no need to be placated by Fe soothing but I see the purpose behind that too.

If me having emotions and expressing them makes life harder for Fe types, so be it.

If anything all it does is confirm the premise of the thread.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If me having emotions and expressing them makes life harder for Fe types, so be it.

It doesnt. At least for me but I'm Fe aux.

I also see emotional expression get attributed all the time to Fe but I think it's ridiculous to confine it to just one of the feeling functions. Most Fi users are more expressive than me tbh.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your propensity to a display of physical violence has already been noted;

Apparently you don't understand what a figure of speech is.

Figure of speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am sure the INFJs have saved that tid-bit of info about you and will use it to assess whether you'd be a suitable prospective partner and won't be soon to forget it.

I guess???

My partner is an ISFJ ftr.

As for me, I see why fid is responding as she is, she's a nice person, and she knows that getting mad out loud back at me profits her none. Plus she's a mod again, so she must live up to the role, and her staying calm while I appear agitated further enhances her credibility, mostly because people like yourself have no ability to parse the purpose in both positive and negative emotional expression. I have no need to be placated by Fe soothing but I see the purpose behind that too.

If anything all it does is confirm the premise of the thread.

Mods should only deal with warnings/bans fairly and impartially. I don't think it's unreasonable to respond to insults with a little bit of sting especially if the conflict is thrust upon them in the first place. But then again I'm not a mod :shrug:

Please tell me more about parsing negative and positive emotion. :)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It doesnt. At least for me but I'm Fe aux.

I also see emotional expression get attributed all the time to Fe but I think it's ridiculous to confine it to just one of the feeling functions. Most Fi users are more expressive than me tbh.

Everyone has emotions, yes. It's likely inaccurate to make your extrapolation though - irl I keep how I feel mostly to myself and for myself. It's fair to say INFPs are "whinier" than some other types since the things that stand out to us are usually things that we perceive as "wrong" and we get into complain mode, especially to those close to us. Myself as a 9, most of the annoying little things to me are never expressed out loud and my demeanor is friendly and pleasant 99% of the time. That's what 9's do. So, what you see here would be different than real-life, since to be as candid as you saw above, people like [MENTION=25403]ZNP-TBA[/MENTION] would punch me or encourage others to do so.

So, think of it as Fe expressing emotion to a purpose. It's about the push and pull between people to accomplish a goal. For Fi, the emotions are data, utilized to inform the judgement function and outward expression is more about being honest to how we are feeling interiorly than using them to do anything in the world. It's like, I am so tired of seeing the double-standard in judgement around here that the social price to to speak up is smaller than the importance of upholding the internal value.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
So, what you see here would be different than real-life, since to be as candid as you saw above, people like [MENTION=25403]ZNP-TBA[/MENTION] would punch me or encourage others to do so.

Honestly PB, I'd probably just fist bump you and call it a day.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Everyone has emotions, yes. It's likely inaccurate to make your extrapolation though - irl I keep how I feel mostly to myself and for myself. It's fair to say INFPs are "whinier" than some other types since the things that stand out to us are usually things that we perceive as "wrong" and we get into complain mode, especially to those close to us. Myself as a 9, most of the annoying little things to me are never expressed out loud and my demeanor is friendly and pleasant 99% of the time. That's what 9's do. So, what you see here would be different than real-life, since to be as candid as you saw above, people like [MENTION=25403]ZNP-TBA[/MENTION] would punch me or encourage others to do so.

So, think of it as Fe expressing emotion to a purpose. It's about the push and pull between people to accomplish a goal. For Fi, the emotions are data, utilized to inform the judgement function and outward expression is more about being honest to how we are feeling interiorly than using them to do anything in the world. It's like, I am so tired of seeing the double-standard in judgement around here that the social price to to speak up is smaller than the importance of upholding the internal value.

Yeah, I'm sure Fi users aren't as expressive irl as they are on here. Neither am I, which is why when I've seen people start complaining about things like Fe being forceful and controlling and overly expressive I get annoyed since I'm nothing like that. I have a strong 9 fix myself (half the forum is still convinced it's my core but I disagree).

My main beef is with stereotypes of the functions in general. The Fe and Si ones just hit home for me more since those are my functions, as I'm sure Fi ones affect Fi users more, etc. I can't stand being judged or seen in a wildly inaccurate way. The ones that bother me the most are the claims that Fe doesn't have any strong personal values, that they only care about what's popular in society at the time, that they can't be moral crusaders because of the hivemind, etc. And I've described my huge beef with Si stereotypes plenty of times elsewhere on the forum.

What really bothers me the most is that it seems to me like most people don't even care that they're stereotyping so wildly and inaccurately. They're totally fine saying "You're an INFP because you have strong personal values, Fe doesn't do that" or "You're an ENFJ because you care about others, Fi doesn't do that." I can't stand the what's my type subforum because the typings I see are usually extremely shallow and based on stereotypes. Just because Fi or Fe does something doesn't mean it's exclusive to the other feeling function.

To use a personal example of how I actually experience Fe, since I'm bored and on the topic: I definitely have strong values that go against the grain and I will never compromise on because they matter to me personally. That's not a strictly Fi thing. However, if I'm surrounded by people who I know don't value those things, I'm less likely to speak up in order to "keep the peace."

My sister recently told me that pretty much everyone in my family hates me. My mom thinks I'm an asshole, my extended family thinks I'm an asshole, she thinks I'm an asshole. And I found myself thinking, "I'm an asshole." Why? It's because if everyone around me is telling me I'm a certain way even though I don't think so, then they must be right and I must be wrong, otherwise I wouldn't be the only person who disagrees.

Fe lets others' opinions affect it more than Fi does. I'm under the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that Fi would be more like "Fuck you guys, I know I'm not an asshole just because you think I am." Now, people water down this aspect of Fe to "they blindly subscribe to the hivemind" which is totally untrue.

Fi gets shit for being untruthfully seen as "a pretentious stuck-up stick in the mud." Though I'm less familiar with those details, since I'm not an Fi user.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
What really bothers me the most is that it seems to me like most people don't even care that they're stereotyping so wildly and inaccurately. They're totally fine saying "You're an INFP because you have strong personal values, Fe doesn't do that" or "You're an ENFJ because you care about others, Fi doesn't do that." I can't stand the what's my type subforum because the typings I see are usually extremely shallow and based on stereotypes. Just because Fi or Fe does something doesn't mean it's exclusive to the other feeling function.

To use a personal example of how I actually experience Fe, since I'm bored and on the topic: I definitely have strong values that go against the grain and I will never compromise on because they matter to me personally. That's not a strictly Fi thing. However, if I'm surrounded by people who I know don't value those things, I'm less likely to speak up in order to "keep the peace."

Yes, I hear you and agree on the stereotyping. My parents are ISTJ and ISFJ and they live to their values, including a high code of ethical standards. I think you and I have have talked about that before. I need to focus on work this afternoon though (lest I get nothing done today) but want to come back to your post. But it's important to hold continual awareness that behaviour does not predicate type. It's about patterns of thought and recognizing those connections.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
You dropped your post-it again.

Classic deflection - the issue resides with me, not with you. Far superior NTPs have preceded you in the ability to insult whilst still coloring inside the lines of the rules here on the forum.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I need giphy in my posting life. Need it right now. Why I cannot [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]? Why? It's very pertinent to this heady discussion.

:cry:

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Classic deflection - the issue resides with me, not with you. Far superior NTPs have preceded you in the ability to insult whilst still coloring inside the lines of the rules here on the forum.

Oh yes, I definitely empathize with all your suffering. Is your cross heavy?