Dream without Hesitation Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    974 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Default Maturity and Type

How does maturity and life experience change how one person appears, versus someone of the same type, at younger age? I have a suspicion the more maturity one has, the more neutral one becomes, and less definitive of a type. Not neutral in the sense of every type coming to a singular point, but that they have rounded out more and fleshed out their functions so they aren't so dominant function heavy for example. We have many members on this forum, from all walks of life, and it's interesting to me, though obvious too, how different people of the same type could be.

Yes, this all seems rather obvious, that there are so many people on this planet, only 16 types, and each person coming with their own experiences to the table, but I would like to specifically look at age and maturity, and how, at a given stage in someone's life, may alter how that personality type will ultimately appear to the outside world.

Any thoughts? If it helps to narrow the spectrum, how do you see your own type evolving with maturity?
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer
    Likes Norrsken liked this post

I believe the confusion comes from the fact that, as people age, they discover and engage their four primary functions so much so that they appear more mellowed out, as you described it. A young child will obviously engage their dominant function first, and very quickly their second function will come trailing behind soon after, until they reach somewhere in their teens or their twenties that they will engage through another function. It is said that during middle age is when we will comfortably engage all four primary functions, hence why we won't appear as intensely as our type like when we were younger and less inhibited by life experiences, I suppose.
    Likes Dreamer liked this post

Weird as it may sound I feel as if I was simultaneously "more" and "less" ISFJ when I was younger. Is one "most" one's type at the shadow type? I'm unsure on that but that was the overall feel of my experience anyway. As little sense as I can put to any of it.

「」

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp

I think maturity means that we have had more time to develop our functions and our type may not always be easy to determine because we have learned more balance. Theoretically there is a set formula for how your functions are supposed to develop as you age but I think life experience can mean you develop other supporting functions that may not be in your stack. For example if you are working a job that requires the use of Te you may develop it even though it isn't in your stack. I think this can make it harder to figure out your type when you are older because your functions are more developed. I wish I had learned about the functions when I was in my early 20's because I think it would have been easier to figure out my type.