• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trying out a type

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
A type is like a religion or a belief, it is a complete belief system.

I've tried out a type. ENFP felt fitting for a while, also ENTJ, and ENTP.

Recently I came to a standstill in playing the ENTJ way. I made all the right conclusions, I played right, but I wasn't given the resources I needed. I was majorly depressed. Now, knowing types aren't any more real than some guidelines, I found inspiration of ENTP. This behavior pattern guides me better in my life circumstance and I find enjoyment in it.

So, have you tried out a type?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Playing the ENTJ way? What does that even mean?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Negatively speaking, its faking it.
Positively, it's having a type description as inspiration and living it.
I've taken the positive stance.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Negatively speaking, its faking it.
Positively, it's having a type description as inspiration and living it.
I've taken the positive stance.

You can just try to try on a function, at least that's what I've been doing lately. Even though the other preferences for those functions aren't mine, I honestly don't think we're incapable of being in the mindset of someone else for a few minutes at a time.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
It doesn't work like that.
Well you have the one right type for you at your best situation, do you not?
Now if your type is relatively stable for you for a while - say 10 years - you think of it a lot do you?
Then you find out the experiences of others who have the same type, do you not?
Meanwhile, you live your own life but let your experience be more influenced by those who are the same type. Are you following this far?

Now, depending on view, this is being true to yourself, or playing a type, depending how pessimistic you are. In description, I'm taking the negative stance, that is, saying it's a play.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Well you have the one right type for you at your best situation, do you not?
Now if your type is relatively stable for you for a while - say 10 years - you think of it a lot do you?
Then you find out the experiences of others who have the same type, do you not?
Meanwhile, you live your own life but let your experience be more influenced by those who are the same type. Are you following this far?

Now, depending on view, this is being true to yourself, or playing a type, depending how pessimistic you are. In description, I'm taking the negative stance, that is, saying it's a play.

20 people of one type can have ridiculously different experiences, each person will be impacted differently.

I'm going to try being an ESFP for while and see how that goes.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
20 people of one type can have ridiculously different experiences, each person will be impacted differently.

I'm going to try being an ESFP for while and see how that goes.
If you aren't that type, your experience is not going to be good.

In the end this is just a elaborate (or non-elaborate) way to tell I've found my true self, it's ENTP, not ENTJ. I do like being organized and I do selected organized tasks well though. But that is no ENTJ. That's ENTP who organizes his things.

Why would I have to explain that as a specific case of being ENTP? Is it assumed ENTP loses his mind in everything, all the time?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If you aren't that type, your experience is not going to be good.

In the end this is just a elaborate (or non-elaborate) way to tell I've found my true self, it's ENTP, not ENTJ. I do like being organized and I do selected organized tasks well though. But that is no ENTJ. That's ENTP who organizes his things.

Why would I have to explain that as a specific case of being ENTP? Is it assumed ENTP loses his mind in everything, all the time?

Do you have some kind of impairment that you've not made known?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Do you have some kind of impairment that you've not made known?
I'm drunk right now. I've taken IQ tests and other tests regularly. Many of them place my abilities really high, some of them slightly below average. I don't get a clear picture though I'm guessing there are some problems. What better can you get from a brain trying to understand itself?

Edit:
I might have problems with cerebellum. There's a study of the subject and a case example of a person who's speech, intelligence and cognitive abilities were good - he was able to practice law. Yet he had some severe problems, mainly related to the amount of training needed to learn a sequence, and some other stuff. I'm in similar situation, I can go in/out of high performing jobs but I have problems. Of course I wouldn't want to believe my brains would be failing me but that might well be the problem. This is of course speculation.

Edit 2:
So we're at the scene of INTJ asking, "what's your malfunction?"
Do you recognize the setting of do I have to lecture you about brain damage?

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't really understand what you mean by trying out other types. Are you trying to behave like the stereotypes of these different types you are trying out?

I do try to analyze my thought pattern and compare it to the cognitive functions of various types but I think that is something different than what you are doing.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm drunk right now. I've taken IQ tests and other tests regularly. Many of them place my abilities really high, some of them slightly below average. I don't get a clear picture though I'm guessing there are some problems. What better can you get from a brain trying to understand itself?

Edit:
I might have problems with cerebellum. There's a study of the subject and a case example of a person who's speech, intelligence and cognitive abilities were good - he was able to practice law. Yet he had some severe problems, mainly related to the amount of training needed to learn a sequence, and some other stuff. I'm in similar situation, I can go in/out of high performing jobs but I have problems. Of course I wouldn't want to believe my brains would be failing me but that might well be the problem. This is of course speculation.

Edit 2:
So we're at the scene of INTJ asking, "what's your malfunction?"
Do you recognize the setting of do I have to lecture you about brain damage?

Ooooh, I'm all ears. I can't wait to hear what your brilliant self diagnosis is.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
You guys have hard time understanding this thing so I may have to spell it out loud.

"Playing out a type" / "trying a type" is a joke for me, essentially meaning the experience when you believe you are of certain type and act like it, even for several decades.

Understanding that this is a joke takes some kind of attitude some people don't have.

Now if we may define some concepts.

Inspiration from type: a person sees type descriptions and descriptions of people behaving according to said descriptions, and he feels motivated partly due to similarity those descriptions have with them, and partly due to expectations and possibilities contained or expressed within those descriptions.

playing out a type: a person finds a group of people believing in the validity of said personality system and descriptions within. This person finds it funny to act out the personality previously described, akin to method acting. This person can leave that role at will and forget about it, while maintaining sanity.

What more do you wish to know?

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I like to "try on" different types and what I mean when I say it, is that I attach my thought process in these other modes of thinking. I only have my own way of processing so of course I don't expect to actually think like a Ti dom for example, but I work my mind in a way that may be similar, as best as I understand. I find the process fun and actually, can help expand the mind since you're basically forcing yourself to think in new ways and try on a different perspective even if just for a short while. Some types were much harder to get into though, and some just outright repulsed me.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't really understand what you mean by trying out other types. Are you trying to behave like the stereotypes of these different types you are trying out?

I do try to analyze my thought pattern and compare it to the cognitive functions of various types but I think that is something different than what you are doing.

I wonder if tricking yourself into think thinking you're one of the stereotypically productive types (aka EJs) would actually help boost your productivity.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I try to be INTJ some stuff gets done, and then I get incredibly controlling of things afterwards and never happy.

When I try to be ISFP, I just look at everything in a relaxed detached way, and then avoid anyone who I don't care about but be really kind if they approach me.

For some reason I can't access ENFP as well, it just comes when it can.

I don't think I have tried to act any other type. Some people believe I am ENFJ, but the whole inferior ti and Dom Fe just sounds so different to me.

Oh yeah and trying to be ESTP is funny to myself in a sardonic way and then I end beating myself and hating myself afterward.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I wonder if tricking yourself into think thinking you're one of the stereotypically productive types (aka EJs) would actually help boost your productivity.

Yes this is exactly what I'm talking about! There's what you said, tricking oneself into thinking something, and of course there's something with less deception to oneself or the others. I've certainly found the EJ way inspirational.

Maybe I'm too quick to dismiss ENTJ as my true type. I've somewhat recovered from reactions to some bad life events but I'm not through.

I know there's difference in how much you can maintain belief in being of certain type of person.

For example, I once believed I should talk more to babies than I had done in the past. It was a short attempt: I felt ungenuine.
I sometimes think of myself as an artist in an engineering field, but only jokingly. I haven't done any significant art and I probably won't. At most I'll be a technical supervisor to an art project.
So there are these ideas of what a person can be. Someone who isn't sure what typology can offer might try out how these personalities work for them. As in, if they suddenly start to talk to babies, does it open a world of opportunities for them? If they start an art project, does it propel their life to greater possibilities? If they open up an office and offer a business service, will it enlighten their life? Will they find success?

If someone considers different career paths, mindsets or ideologies too little, they might find the idea pretty odd.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes this is exactly what I'm talking about! There's what you said, tricking oneself into thinking something, and of course there's something with less deception to oneself or the others. I've certainly found the EJ way inspirational.

I think being aware that you are tricking yourself might not work as well. But you could do the fake it till you make it thing.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think being aware that you are tricking yourself might not work as well. But you could do the fake it till you make it thing.
I want to have a conscious understanding of what I do, so some of the deepest reaching self-illusions are out of the game for me. I actually seek out my self-deceptions even though finding them might hurt me emotionally. What survives, survives.

So, finding "inspiration" in something and "emulating" some behaviour pattern it is the highest deception I can go for.

What if you or I made a self-deception so great we wouldn't remember it afterwards? We'd have no recollection of it. It would seem as if it never took place.