• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] Type and enjoying the outdoors

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love being out in nature. I love the experience of climbing mountains, exploring canyons, etc.

I know, people who absolutely hate it.

And yet others who enjoy it only to a point.

I know Se types tend to like exhilarating experiences, in general. I know some Ne doms that would rather avoid being out of the city at all. But what about you? Is there a Se vs Ne aspect to exploring outdoors? Discuss.... Is there some other factor?

uncrowned

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My "love" of nature is mostly theoretical. I like taking long walks and hiking, everything else starts to border on either dangerous, a hassle, or "I'll just enjoy it from the inside of my house". Sometimes hearing the sound of birds and knowing that it is sunny outside is enough for me.

So I'm voting for 'enjoy it only to a point'.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My "love" of nature is mostly theoretical. I like taking long walks and hiking, everything else starts to border on either dangerous, a hassle, or "I'll just enjoy it from the inside of my house". Sometimes hearing the sound of birds and knowing that it is sunny outside is enough for me.

So I'm voting for 'enjoy it only to a point'.

Interesting. My ENFP is similar. She likes the idea of nature, in theory, but actually getting into the real "wild" scares her. A city, even with real threats and dangers, so better for her, she says....

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like being out and about. From backyard, to driving around, to hiking, jet ski, biking, canoeing, etc. I dont mind inside, but i feel couped up if i dont get out and do something. I love physical work.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
q3H7KUR.gif

á´…eparted

passages
I love doing outdoor adventuring. Particularly in the winter. I would do much more of it if I had a car.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like being out and about. From backyard, to driving around, biking, canoeing, etc. I dont mind inside, but i feel couped up if i dont get out and do something. I love physical work.

This essentially. Except I need an escape from outdoors and indoors. Also, hiking for me is going very slow. So I really don't count it as hiking.

Doing physical work outside is probably my favorite.

Anything outdoors in the winter is kool though too.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I enjoy it but I don't enjoy all outdoor activity. Hiking/camping/practicing to be homeless activity...no thank you. Anything on the water, boating/sailing/kayaking/jet skiing...I'm there. I love winter sports as well.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I was growing up, while I really liked family vacations to national parks, and I was really into birding, so spent a lot of time outside, I also had a weird ocd thing re touching things in nature, ie if I brushed up against a branch with leaves, I thought it/I was now dirty. I don't know where that came from.

But somehow once out of college that ocd element tied to nature vanished. Now I can tramp through a rainforest in knee high rubber boots, or scale part of a mountain slope, going through grasses and brambly shrub, getting covered in pointy stickery seed pods, get bitten by ants, and I'm ok with all of it. :laugh: (well I don't like getting ant bites, ha)

Hiking, camping, snowshoeing, rock climbing, rapelling down a cliff face, ascending 14ers, walking through a jungle...I like all of that. :) I like things like canoeing or kayaking too, I just haven't done that very much.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I absolutely love being in the great outdoors, nature, hiking, going out to vistas. My real home is and will always be in an urban environment. I really thrive in a big city with all the culture, arts, ideas being shared, love going to lectures!

But, when I escape here and there, it's just that, an escape. :D

If I were to relate the environments to my functions, I'd definitely say the city gives me a mental high, perhaps fueling the Ne, but getting out and away from everyone makes it incredibly easy to tap into my own thoughts and clear the mind. It allows me to easily reconnect and ground myself. I can do it in a city, sure, but the batteries don't recharge quite as quickly.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I enjoy it but I don't enjoy all outdoor activity. Hiking/camping/practicing to be homeless activity...no thank you. Anything on the water, boating/sailing/kayaking/jet skiing...I'm there. I love winter sports as well.

Yes this lol

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I love being outdoors but I do have a fear of bears so that can be a bit of a stumbling block sometimes. I enjoy hiking, camping, kayaking in the summer and snowshoeing in the winter.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I enjoy peaceful walks in parks and forests, when I don't have to do anything dangerous liking climbing on cliffs and so on. I like things to be leisurely and chill. I love the smell of the Earth and let my mind wander through the trees and the atmosphere. To be at one with life.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure how this correlates to functions (since that's ultimately what you are asking), but I'd say I'm a 10 on a 10 point scale of loving the outdoors-- by which, I mean, nature in and of itself. I've noticed that some people believe that they love the outdoors, when they actually love physical fitness (my Dad for example, who climbs 14ers to time himself and win, not to enjoy nature). I'm sure there are actually many motivations for loving the outdoors, but perhaps that's a separate topic, so I digress.

Recreation is enjoyable for me (camping, hiking, kayaking, paddleboarding, etc.) but as aformentioned, only when it's done with the intent of enjoying nature and camaraderie in it. Because it's been mentioned, "danger" doesn't really register often for me in nature, so I suppose that doesn't put me off-- an example, I recently went hiking at a state park with some friends. While there, I definitely observed some differences among the four of us, in the way we responded to unsure footing, mud, steep inclines, etc. I tend to let my body do the "thinking" when in settings like that, so I tend to be more sure footed-- this is super fascinating to me, because as a heart/head dominated person, I've always been kind of naturally physically intelligent, when in settings that require it. In truth, I find a lot of joy when I can allow that intuitive body thing to just take over-- I think I just forget it's there in everyday life. Driving is actually another example of that for me. <---- Sorry if that stuff is super unrelated. :D

But yes, I love the outdoors, and declare my hatred for the city almost everytime I have to drive into it. I think the way I enjoy nature is different from other people I know, because I don't mind sitting on the ground (even in a dress :wink:), or handling an insect, frog or other small creature (usually to move it). I have also rescued snapping turtles from roads before, so I think that means something. Haha. :laugh:

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure how this correlates to functions (since that's ultimately what you are asking), but I'd say I'm a 10 on a 10 point scale of loving the outdoors-- by which, I mean, nature in and of itself. I've noticed that some people believe that they love the outdoors, when they actually love physical fitness (my Dad for example, who climbs 14ers to time himself and win, not to enjoy nature). I'm sure there are actually many motivations for loving the outdoors, but perhaps that's a separate topic, so I digress.

Recreation is enjoyable for me (camping, hiking, kayaking, paddleboarding, etc.) but as aformentioned, only when it's done with the intent of enjoying nature and camaraderie in it. Because it's been mentioned, "danger" doesn't really register often for me in nature, so I suppose that doesn't put me off-- an example, I recently went hiking at a state park with some friends. While there, I definitely observed some differences among the four of us, in the way we responded to unsure footing, mud, steep inclines, etc. I tend to let my body do the "thinking" when in settings like that, so I tend to be more sure footed-- this is super fascinating to me, because as a heart/head dominated person, I've always been kind of naturally physically intelligent, when in settings that require it. In truth, I find a lot of joy when I can allow that intuitive body thing to just take over-- I think I just forget it's there in everyday life. Driving is actually another example of that for me. <---- Sorry if that stuff is super unrelated. :D

But yes, I love the outdoors, and declare my hatred for the city almost everytime I have to drive into it.

I love your post and I believe it is very on topic. :)

Whenever I am in nature, I feel like my senses are more alive. I feel very connected to trees, animals, streams, etc. For me, I see no joy in mere conquest of nature wonders. I want to soak up the experience. My body feels more awake. Leaving the city behind frees me from all the clutter of life.

Many years ago, I felt the need to climb a nearby mountain to watch the sunrise on the 4th of July. I got some friends together and we took the 10 mile hike up 5k feet in the dark. We got to the peak not long before the sunrise.

I sat there for about an hour soaking in the experience. It was as spiritual an experience as I have ever had at any religious service. It put life and the minor creations of humanity in perspective. The walk down was glorious, with the mysteries we didn't see at night unfolded in their abundant glory. It was a special gift just for us, as the fields of wildflowers glistened like diamonds with the morning dew.

I have had many other profound and moving experiences in the wild. I wish I could spend my days as a wilderness guide, leading groups to see some sights out there, that can be only reached with great effort. Ah, an alternative life in another universe, perhaps......

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I mostly prefer indoor, but I know the outside world is good for me and it can be calming at times. I am intrigued by animals of any kind. :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

But yes, I love the outdoors, and declare my hatred for the city almost everytime I have to drive into it. I think the way I enjoy nature is different from other people I know, because I don't mind sitting on the ground (even in a dress :wink:), or handling an insect, frog or other small creature (usually to move it). I have also rescued snapping turtles from roads before, so I think that means something. Haha. :laugh:

I didn't really speak to my actual adoration / worship (almost) of nature (not sure how else to describe it / compare myself to more casual enjoyer-s of the outdoors), but that would be me.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I enjoy peaceful walks in parks and forests, when I don't have to do anything dangerous liking climbing on cliffs and so on. I like things to be leisurely and chill. I love the smell of the Earth and let my mind wander through the trees and the atmosphere. To be at one with life.

Same. Nature is my sanctuary.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love your post and I believe it is very on topic. :)

Whenever I am in nature, I feel like my senses are more alive. I feel very connected to trees, animals, streams, etc. For me, I see no joy in mere conquest of nature wonders. I want to soak up the experience. My body feels more awake. Leaving the city behind frees me from all the clutter of life.

Many years ago, I felt the need to climb a nearby mountain to watch the sunrise on the 4th of July. I got some friends together and we took the 10 mile hike up 5k feet in the dark. We got to the peak not long before the sunrise.

I sat there for about an hour soaking in the experience. It was as spiritual an experience as I have ever had at any religious service. It put life and the minor creations of humanity in perspective. The walk down was glorious, with the mysteries we didn't see at night unfolded in their abundant glory. It was a special gift just for us, as the fields of wildflowers glistened like diamonds with the morning dew.

I have had many other profound and moving experiences in the wild. I wish I could spend my days as a wilderness guide, leading groups to see some sights out there, that can be only reached with great effort. Ah, an alternative life in another universe, perhaps......

Brother, do it! Or at least investigate the possibilities of guiding wilderness things, you may be surprised at what you find.

Your description is very familiar to me. I have very similar experiences with wide open spaces of all kinds, and feel that it's a way that I hear from God. So so many times it's been small things, like a specific significant flower or plant, as if to tell me that I'm seen and known. Or encountering an animal and it not being afraid, connecting with me through the eyes. All of my life it's been this way. Intense weather systems are magnetic for me, I used to run out into thunderstorms as a kid just to feel the wonder of it (my Mom would scream at me to come inside :laugh:). Still today, whenever it hails, I can't resist walking out afterwards and admiring the perfect creation that each little sphere of ice is. Such breathtaking detail and design, I just love to feel the awe and overwhelmedness of that.

Kindred spirit, friend! :yes: