INFJ
    Enneagram
    925 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII None

Default J vs P: Multi-faceted Discussion

J = wears the pants; driver; effort
    P = wears the dress; passenger; auto

Now, because there obviously can't be two drivers on the same ride, you encounter delegations of authority. Perhaps one is the driver with work, and the other with finances? Perhaps one is driver with dinner, and the other with cleaning? Perhaps one is disciplinary with "the family," and the other with the kids? Perhaps the driver of each needs a break periodically, and the passenger takes over for a while?

This is a discussion of the dichotomies.

Given the nature of these forums, let's put it into context...

Each person list their primary preference of J or P (from the dichotomies), and list what you're J with and what you're P with. The combined total/average determines your primary preference of J or P, but let's look at the parts which make up the whole.

For example, I am absolute J where morality is concerned, but I take P passenger seat when aesthetics or health come into the mix.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

I don't fit your definition of J with anything

I'm also not a fan of the dress/pants analogy but that's less relevant
    Likes /DG/, fetus, Forever, Norrsken liked this post

I can see what you are getting at in the OP, but I think that extraversion and introversion are also key factors that may affect the qualities you describe.

For example, an introverted J type may not like to be the driving force all of the time. They are not necessarily inclined to be leaders, more so reluctant ones. Etc.
    Likes Punderstorm, Norrsken liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

I don't like J and P being treated as a dichotomy. ISFJ is Pi dom. It's confusing. And DG brings up a good point with intro/extro.

Enneagram
    6w7

I think I'm the least J of all the J's. On the outside and to others I'm an obvious P. It's just that mentally, inside of my mind I'm a J. My behavior and mental processes don't always sync up.

No other way to explain it.
    6w7 // 2w3 // xxx
    Likes /DG/, Lady Lazarus, Punderstorm, Norrsken liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    925 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII None

It's a dichotomy.

Judging (J)

I use my decision-making (Judging) preference (whether it is Thinking or Feeling) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a planned or orderly way of life, like to have things settled and organized, feel more comfortable when decisions are made, and like to bring life under control as much as possible.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, I may, inside, feel flexible and open to new information (which I am).

Do not confuse Judging with judgmental, in its negative sense about people and events. They are not related.

The following statements generally apply to me:
    • I like to have things decided.
    •I appear to be task oriented.
    • I like to make lists of things to do.
    • I like to get my work done before playing.
    • I plan work to avoid rushing just before a deadline.
    •Sometimes I focus so much on the goal that I miss new information.

Perceiving (P)

I use my perceiving function (whether it is Sensing or Intuition) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a flexible and spontaneous way of life, and I like to understand and adapt to the world rather than organize it. Others see me staying open to new experiences and information.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, inside I may feel very planful or decisive (which I am).

Remember, in type language perceiving means "preferring to take in information." It does not mean being "perceptive" in the sense of having quick and accurate perceptions about people and events.

• I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens.
    •I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum.
    •I like to approach work as play or mix work and play.
    •I work in bursts of energy.
    • I am stimulated by an approaching deadline.
    • Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed.
    The topic is that regardless of if you identify as J or P, to say the sorts of things you are J at and the sorts of things you are P at.

Judging (J)

I use my decision-making (Judging) preference (whether it is Thinking or Feeling) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a planned or orderly way of life, like to have things settled and organized, feel more comfortable when decisions are made, and like to bring life under control as much as possible.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, I may, inside, feel flexible and open to new information (which I am).

Do not confuse Judging with judgmental, in its negative sense about people and events. They are not related.

• I like to have things decided.
    •I appear to be task oriented.
    • I like to make lists of things to do.
    • I like to get my work done before playing.
    • I plan work to avoid rushing just before a deadline.
    •Sometimes I focus so much on the goal that I miss new information.

Perceiving (P)

I use my perceiving function (whether it is Sensing or Intuition) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a flexible and spontaneous way of life, and I like to understand and adapt to the world rather than organize it. Others see me staying open to new experiences and information.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, inside I may feel very planful or decisive (which I am).

Remember, in type language perceiving means "preferring to take in information." It does not mean being "perceptive" in the sense of having quick and accurate perceptions about people and events.

• I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens.
    •I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum.
    •I like to approach work as play or mix work and play.
    •I work in bursts of energy.
    • I am stimulated by an approaching deadline.
    • Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed.
    I'm a mutant and my own opposite. Nonsensically so.

「」

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    925 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII None

That's still not what I am talking about lol.

E.g., "prefer to have things settled" is J, but has a P opposite. What "things" are which? Bills? Food? Leisure time? Exercise? Studying?

People will be "J" with some aspects of life, but "P" with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8419 View Post
    That's still not what I am talking about lol.

E.g., "prefer to have things settled" is J, but has a P opposite. What "things" are which? Bills? Food? Leisure time? Exercise? Studying?

People will be "J" with some aspects of life, but "P" with others.
    I know.

「」

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

I know that J and P is a dichotomy. I'm saying I dislike treating it as one because it makes little sense. Plus I have 0 idea where neat/messy for J/P came from.