• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

J vs P: Multi-faceted Discussion

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
J = wears the pants; driver; effort
P = wears the dress; passenger; auto

Now, because there obviously can't be two drivers on the same ride, you encounter delegations of authority. Perhaps one is the driver with work, and the other with finances? Perhaps one is driver with dinner, and the other with cleaning? Perhaps one is disciplinary with "the family," and the other with the kids? Perhaps the driver of each needs a break periodically, and the passenger takes over for a while?

This is a discussion of the dichotomies.

Given the nature of these forums, let's put it into context...

Each person list their primary preference of J or P (from the dichotomies), and list what you're J with and what you're P with. The combined total/average determines your primary preference of J or P, but let's look at the parts which make up the whole.

For example, I am absolute J where morality is concerned, but I take P passenger seat when aesthetics or health come into the mix.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't fit your definition of J with anything

I'm also not a fan of the dress/pants analogy but that's less relevant

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I can see what you are getting at in the OP, but I think that extraversion and introversion are also key factors that may affect the qualities you describe.

For example, an introverted J type may not like to be the driving force all of the time. They are not necessarily inclined to be leaders, more so reluctant ones. Etc.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't like J and P being treated as a dichotomy. ISFJ is Pi dom. It's confusing. And DG brings up a good point with intro/extro.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I think I'm the least J of all the J's. On the outside and to others I'm an obvious P. It's just that mentally, inside of my mind I'm a J. My behavior and mental processes don't always sync up.

No other way to explain it.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's a dichotomy.

Judging (J)

I use my decision-making (Judging) preference (whether it is Thinking or Feeling) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a planned or orderly way of life, like to have things settled and organized, feel more comfortable when decisions are made, and like to bring life under control as much as possible.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, I may, inside, feel flexible and open to new information (which I am).

Do not confuse Judging with judgmental, in its negative sense about people and events. They are not related.

The following statements generally apply to me:
• I like to have things decided.
•I appear to be task oriented.
• I like to make lists of things to do.
• I like to get my work done before playing.
• I plan work to avoid rushing just before a deadline.
•Sometimes I focus so much on the goal that I miss new information.

Perceiving (P)

I use my perceiving function (whether it is Sensing or Intuition) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a flexible and spontaneous way of life, and I like to understand and adapt to the world rather than organize it. Others see me staying open to new experiences and information.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, inside I may feel very planful or decisive (which I am).

Remember, in type language perceiving means "preferring to take in information." It does not mean being "perceptive" in the sense of having quick and accurate perceptions about people and events.

• I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens.
•I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum.
•I like to approach work as play or mix work and play.
•I work in bursts of energy.
• I am stimulated by an approaching deadline.
• Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed.

The topic is that regardless of if you identify as J or P, to say the sorts of things you are J at and the sorts of things you are P at.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Judging (J)

I use my decision-making (Judging) preference (whether it is Thinking or Feeling) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a planned or orderly way of life, like to have things settled and organized, feel more comfortable when decisions are made, and like to bring life under control as much as possible.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, I may, inside, feel flexible and open to new information (which I am).

Do not confuse Judging with judgmental, in its negative sense about people and events. They are not related.

• I like to have things decided.
•I appear to be task oriented.
• I like to make lists of things to do.
• I like to get my work done before playing.
• I plan work to avoid rushing just before a deadline.
•Sometimes I focus so much on the goal that I miss new information.

Perceiving (P)

I use my perceiving function (whether it is Sensing or Intuition) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a flexible and spontaneous way of life, and I like to understand and adapt to the world rather than organize it. Others see me staying open to new experiences and information.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, inside I may feel very planful or decisive (which I am).

Remember, in type language perceiving means "preferring to take in information." It does not mean being "perceptive" in the sense of having quick and accurate perceptions about people and events.

• I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens.
•I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum.
•I like to approach work as play or mix work and play.
•I work in bursts of energy.
• I am stimulated by an approaching deadline.
• Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed.

I'm a mutant and my own opposite. Nonsensically so.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's still not what I am talking about lol.

E.g., "prefer to have things settled" is J, but has a P opposite. What "things" are which? Bills? Food? Leisure time? Exercise? Studying?

People will be "J" with some aspects of life, but "P" with others.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's still not what I am talking about lol.

E.g., "prefer to have things settled" is J, but has a P opposite. What "things" are which? Bills? Food? Leisure time? Exercise? Studying?

People will be "J" with some aspects of life, but "P" with others.

I know.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know that J and P is a dichotomy. I'm saying I dislike treating it as one because it makes little sense. Plus I have 0 idea where neat/messy for J/P came from.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know that J and P is a dichotomy. I'm saying I dislike treating it as one because it makes little sense. Plus I have 0 idea where neat/messy for J/P came from.

Topic isn't if you like the dichotomy or not.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Topic isn't if you like the dichotomy or not.

It's flawed though. IxxJs are Ps and IxxPs are Js. It doesn't work for introverts. I'm a P with pretty much everything based off your OP definition.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's flawed though. IxxJs are Ps and IxxPs are Js. It doesn't work for introverts. I'm a P with pretty much everything based off your OP definition.

So then use the later one I copied from the MBTI site.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think a simple way to fix this is to say that J and P are switched for introverts.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think a simple way to fix this is to say that J and P are switched for introverts.

The Topic? Or the dichotomy?

The topic is just to say what aspects of your life you are which at. One's overall preference isn't even in question.

Example for myself:
J: Job-related stuff at work, bills and necessary expenses, objects around the house, general timelines, relationship matters, major purchases
P: All food, clothing, money leftover after bills, everything within general timelines, desk at work, vehicle, small-talk, long-term planning

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So then use the later one I copied from the MBTI site.

It's asking me to answer through my Je but I don't want to do that because I'm Pi first, not an ESFJ

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So then you're 1-dimensional?

No, the dichotomies are. They're too black and white. And if it wants me to answer through my Je and not my Pi it's not going to be anything like an ExxJ's answers. The J/P dichotomy is too much of a mess.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Now that I'm home and not typing on my phone while the 4G cuts out as we were driving home from my vacation...

I have a huge beef with the J/P dichotomy. I have no idea where the messy/neat and disorganized/organized stuff came from. Not only is it a complete disaster for introverts, but extroverts too. At least when you're applying those definitions to it. The only thing J/P should ever be applied to is P or J dominant function. Once you start adding in all this crap about "being late vs being on time" it just makes no sense whatsoever and should be thrown out the window.

I/E, S/N, and T/F all make sense as dichotomies despite being much too black and white. J/P is nothing that those other functions are not because they don't exist independently. My J is S and I--it's Si. An ISFP's P is F and I--Fi. And ESTJ's J is T and E--Te. It's nothing more. I don't understand why people keep trying to apply special behaviors and attributes to a dichotomy that that can't even exist independently of the other 3. J and P is literally nothing but there to show if you're J or P dom and it even fucked that up for introverts.

tl;dr stop applying things like "on time, neat vs late, messy" to J and P, it makes no sense.

/rant

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Who cares if it makes sense? Lol. You can't just entertain a thought to have a discussion? Lol.

To answer you, though, I'll ask questions.

When typing others, is it most beneficial to be able to observer their behaviors and preferences or to analyze their psychology?
If doing such, wouldn't the extrovert be the one who is primarily consciously living in the external world?
If such is the case, how would the introvert be living in the external world with it being an opposite?