• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A good analogy for Ne vs. Ni

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I was reading the excellent blog Cinema of the Abstract earlier, and I found this definition of Surrealism that actually works as a good analogy for the differences between Ne and Ni (I bolded the key parts):

It must be said, as someone who has read up on Surrealism in many a book, that Surrealism is not the same as weird. That term is interconnection to Surrealism but the movement was as much about effects on the mind that weren't "weird" but disrupted complacency and the rational. Think of it this way, whether this works as a good analogue or a terrible one, smearing your nude body with raspberry jam, wearing a frozen chicken on your head and running through a supermarket stark bollock naked quoting Marxism isn't Surrealism. It could only if it wasn't merely to cause a mere strange reaction in others, but playing with the irrational and taboo on a deeper level in a very silly way. Arguing with someone what type of fruit jam to use to complete this task is closer to Surrealism because, even when completely nonsensical, the paintings and other works of art in this movement had their own internal set of rules and depth. Surrealism was as much about the absurd, the arbitrary, the contradictory, the dreamlike etc. in context of them being fleshed out and being made real, the melting clocks in perspective of Salvador Dali's own subconscious, and the shoes made out of bread to actually be worn like regular shoes to go to work in.

Think of the nude supermarket run as Ne, and the jam argument as Ni. Ne is like Dadaism to Ni's Surrealism.

Last edited:

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I ever see a Ne-type person doing that in a supermarket, this is my only response:
The_Real_Story_Behind_Black_Guy_On_The_Phone_Meme-500x500.jpg