• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISFP or INFP

ccryder

MBTI Type
IXFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I started a different thread here where I discovered I may be an INFP rather than an ISFP, and I kept going back and forth. I wanted to post this questionnaire and hopefully get some more insight and opinions based off of my personal answers. Here we go!!

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I've noticed that quite a few people have this same problem distinguishing themselves between ISFP and INFP, so the S/N is the problem here. They seem like complete opposites, but for some reason I can see myself in both.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I want to be happy and live life to the fullest while surrounded by my loved ones. This is simply because those are the things I value most.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I was going to the gym often, which I enjoy, and I got down to a weight that I was comfortable and confident in. I became more sure of myself and who I was. I was also expressing myself through tumblr which made me feel alive again.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
My lack of common sense. I'm very book smart, but I get shit on a lot for not having enough common knowledge.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I usually look at how it will affect me and my emotions at that time, and if I'm still unsure of how I feel about it I will look at how it will affect others' emotions and make a decision based off of the two.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
It has to be up to my standards because I never like finishing anything knowing I could've put more into it. I definitely like to have control of the outcome, especially in group settings. I can come off as a perfectionist if I'm very invested in what I'm doing.

7) Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
My memory sucks balls right now, so the most recent memory would have to be the other night with my two best friends. We were having drinks together at home, and had our own little party which we usually do.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?
I first look very deep into it to gain an understanding about whatever it is, and then move on to try it myself.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?
That's a big NOPE.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I judge it off of how it makes me feel and then how it would make others feel. I try to understand why the idea has come to light and what it means for others and myself.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I definitely want everyone to feel like they belong, but at the same time I would say if that disrupts my inner principles, then I would have to focus more on myself and how I feel about certain situations.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I usually just say whatever is on my mind whether it makes sense or not. And the latter depends on whether these people are ones I know and trust.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
See this is where I get stuck. I'm not entirely sure because it depends on the situation. Sometimes I'm feeling spontaneous and sometimes I fee the need to think things through a bit.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Again it depends on the situation and how I'm feeling. Also depends on who else will be there and what they will be doing.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I get extremely grumpy and bitchy, and when it's really bad I start to ball like a little baby.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
If they come off too strong or rude and don't seem to give a shit about anyone or anything else around them.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I enjoy talking about things that make me think. I love talking about psychology, religion, aliens, and even politics if it doesn't get too crazy.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
Fitting in with others or trying to impress the outside world.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
My friends would say I'm very emotional and reserved at times, but can also open up and be very funny and fun to be around. I honestly don't think anything is wrong with their perception because I'm pretty much an open book around them. They would never say that I'm organized or responsible with time.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Watching YouTube videos by myself or watching tv with my boyfriend maybe go out to eat and have a couple of drinks at home with some friends.

Any thoughts?? :)

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You seem like an IxFP, I can't pin down your aux. Could you elaborate on #4 and #15?
Why are you confused on the S/N divide and how do you relate to both?

ccryder

MBTI Type
IXFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
You seem like an IxFP, I can't pin down your aux. Could you elaborate on #4 and #15?
Why are you confused on the S/N divide and how do you relate to both?

#4 - I guess I just mean that I feel like I'm looked at as stupid and have even been called such because I'm not all there when it comes to certain everyday tasks. Things that are common sense to others don't come naturally to me. I'm not sure if this is because I just wasn't taught specific things or if I just don't have an interest in them. Things being directions, cooking, and things like that...does that make sense lmao idk:unsure:
#15 - When I'm stressed I guess I get very irritable and tend to stress myself out more by thinking of everything I need to get done and in order in my life. I get very upset looking at my life and always think I need to be doing more and being better than I am at the moment.

Not sure if that helps, but I relate to S by being very detail oriented in certain things when I'm very interested in them. I want to say this is an S thing, but I'm a very good observer and I can remember names and faces very well. I learn well by being very hands on and doing it for myself. I feel that if someone tries to tell me how to do something I don't process it at all until I try it myself. I also enjoy instructions and like to follow them to a T, but when it comes to planning and scheduling around my life it's useless. It's nice to have an idea of what I want to do, but it's just an outline and can be changed at any moment. I do enjoy talking about very deep topics that aren't necessarily in the here and now. Like I stated I like to talk about things that really make me think and explore ideas and often get tired of things fairly quickly.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
#4 - I guess I just mean that I feel like I'm looked at as stupid and have even been called such because I'm not all there when it comes to certain everyday tasks. Things that are common sense to others don't come naturally to me. I'm not sure if this is because I just wasn't taught specific things or if I just don't have an interest in them. Things being directions, cooking, and things like that...does that make sense lmao idk:unsure:
#15 - When I'm stressed I guess I get very irritable and tend to stress myself out more by thinking of everything I need to get done and in order in my life. I get very upset looking at my life and always think I need to be doing more and being better than I am at the moment.

Not sure if that helps, but I relate to S by being very detail oriented in certain things when I'm very interested in them. I want to say this is an S thing, but I'm a very good observer and I can remember names and faces very well. I learn well by being very hands on and doing it for myself. I feel that if someone tries to tell me how to do something I don't process it at all until I try it myself. I also enjoy instructions and like to follow them to a T, but when it comes to planning and scheduling around my life it's useless. It's nice to have an idea of what I want to do, but it's just an outline and can be changed at any moment. I do enjoy talking about very deep topics that aren't necessarily in the here and now. Like I stated I like to talk about things that really make me think and explore ideas and often get tired of things fairly quickly.

Hmm, sounds sorta like lower Ni and Te. Do you relate to the Ne/Si or Se/Ni axis better?

Permabanned
I started a different thread here where I discovered I may be an INFP rather than an ISFP, and I kept going back and forth. I wanted to post this questionnaire and hopefully get some more insight and opinions based off of my personal answers. Here we go!!

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I've noticed that quite a few people have this same problem distinguishing themselves between ISFP and INFP, so the S/N is the problem here. They seem like complete opposites, but for some reason I can see myself in both.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I want to be happy and live life to the fullest while surrounded by my loved ones. This is simply because those are the things I value most.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I was going to the gym often, which I enjoy, and I got down to a weight that I was comfortable and confident in. I became more sure of myself and who I was. I was also expressing myself through tumblr which made me feel alive again.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
My lack of common sense. I'm very book smart, but I get shit on a lot for not having enough common knowledge.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I usually look at how it will affect me and my emotions at that time, and if I'm still unsure of how I feel about it I will look at how it will affect others' emotions and make a decision based off of the two.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
It has to be up to my standards because I never like finishing anything knowing I could've put more into it. I definitely like to have control of the outcome, especially in group settings. I can come off as a perfectionist if I'm very invested in what I'm doing.

7) Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
My memory sucks balls right now, so the most recent memory would have to be the other night with my two best friends. We were having drinks together at home, and had our own little party which we usually do.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?
I first look very deep into it to gain an understanding about whatever it is, and then move on to try it myself.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?
That's a big NOPE.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I judge it off of how it makes me feel and then how it would make others feel. I try to understand why the idea has come to light and what it means for others and myself.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I definitely want everyone to feel like they belong, but at the same time I would say if that disrupts my inner principles, then I would have to focus more on myself and how I feel about certain situations.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I usually just say whatever is on my mind whether it makes sense or not. And the latter depends on whether these people are ones I know and trust.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
See this is where I get stuck. I'm not entirely sure because it depends on the situation. Sometimes I'm feeling spontaneous and sometimes I fee the need to think things through a bit.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Again it depends on the situation and how I'm feeling. Also depends on who else will be there and what they will be doing.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I get extremely grumpy and bitchy, and when it's really bad I start to ball like a little baby.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
If they come off too strong or rude and don't seem to give a shit about anyone or anything else around them.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I enjoy talking about things that make me think. I love talking about psychology, religion, aliens, and even politics if it doesn't get too crazy.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
Fitting in with others or trying to impress the outside world.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
My friends would say I'm very emotional and reserved at times, but can also open up and be very funny and fun to be around. I honestly don't think anything is wrong with their perception because I'm pretty much an open book around them. They would never say that I'm organized or responsible with time.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Watching YouTube videos by myself or watching tv with my boyfriend maybe go out to eat and have a couple of drinks at home with some friends.

Any thoughts?? :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most of the questions you answered don't really get at S/N, but the fact you mentioned totally lacking in common sense makes me think INFP. (infp's out there: I know you can have common sense, but, usually an isfp is going to be pretty grounded, pragmatic, and probably wouldn't say they had little common sense -it especially wouldn't be something others would point out). Also I wouldn't equate S automatically with being detail oriented. Si, for example, which INxP's have, can be very detailed. An INTP will be much more particular iow than an ISTP, in terms of details, and I think same with INFP vs ISFP.

Duffy

Nothing wrong with IXFP or InFP.

I can sympathize with you on the "sensing" stuff. I've had a similar conundrum regarding cognitive dichotomy. For instance, I've always enjoyed sensory activities and am actually not even all that into books, but I get called out by my uber pragmatico SJ-centric cliché of a family for being absent-minded way too often. I'm never vigilant enough for them. On the other hand, I do enjoy symbolism and theories, strategy games, games involving planning and scheming, and a fondness for reinterpreting ideas in stories and film.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Happy 4th of July weekend, [MENTION=28309]ccryder[/MENTION]!

17207423-letter-n-made-from-colorful-in-the-form-of-fireworks-letters--check-my-portfolio-for-other-letters.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken, since you started that other thread, your profile has gone from ISFP to INFP, then to IXFP, then back to INFP, and now to IXFP again.

I just thought you might like to know that up in Typology Heaven, there's an angel who's shedding a tear for every hour that there's no N in your type label. :alttongue:

Permabanned
Happy 4th of July weekend, [MENTION=28309]ccryder[/MENTION]!

17207423-letter-n-made-from-colorful-in-the-form-of-fireworks-letters--check-my-portfolio-for-other-letters.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken, since you started that other thread, your profile has gone from ISFP to INFP, then to IXFP, then back to INFP, and now to IXFP again.

I just thought you might like to know that up in Typology Heaven, there's an angel who's shedding a tear for every hour that there's no N in your type label. :alttongue:

Also is also an INTJ. Obviously it's a conspiracy

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
A lot of what you said reminds me of me, I have often felt stuck between isfp and infp, with characteristics of both. But I think like me, you are an infp. What might be happening is your third function, introverted sensing, is starting to become more active giving you the potential to be more detail oriented and focused on the here and now. With extraverted sensing as an auxiliary function from what little I have learned is not necessarily detail oriented, it takes in everything, also it is very focused on what is happening in the moment and looking for opportunities. I think if Se were your second function you would be way more grounded in the here and now and the tangible world around you, you would be way more practical and following step by step directions would be easier. I feel your pain. In real world activities or even following simple directions I screw stuff up and come off as an idiot, but then in other situations, like when I am writing or engaging in some other creative activity or liberal arts classes I can do well and am actually viewed (supposedly) as thoughtful and creative and talented. I imagine the same thing happens to you. People think you are an idiot, but if you were to discuss abstract concepts, the tables possibly might be turned or my favorite is, when you start discussing those topics, the other person's eyes almost immediately glaze over. super awesome. I would say infp, especially if you are in dreamland, your head, all that good stuff, seeing a lot of possibilities and links between unrelated things and if you are preoccupied with your own development. At least that is what happens to me. Good luck.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
An ISFP, my best guess. It is more sensation than intuition, since you loves to go to the gym, detailed oriented, when you try it yourself, by experiencing, it sounds more Sensing to me.
I also enjoy instructions and like to follow them to.
This signifies like a feeling dominant with sensing. They can give instructions and take instructions.