• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Physical expression of Ni and Ne

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IDK my eyes always look flat to me. I think I deleted all my eye pics on the forum but there was this one thread where pretty much everyone concurred that I had mean/hostile/bitchy resting eyes, hahaha.

Well you guys aren't always feeling kittens and rainbows and looking like you're in a beatific state. But I remember seeing pics of you. You do have the soft and fuzzies --fuh real.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
My 'look' as ranged from darting my eyes all over the place, intense stare, contemplative wheels-turning, trollish, and stoic.

My physical expression is more in the words and tone I use. I typically get vocally animated when I talk about something of interest with someone. I usually start a conversation with the understanding that I have no freaking clue where it's going to end up. :D

Yes! Absolutely this. If something productive comes up of the conversation then fantastic! But if not, just the act of throwing thoughts around can be just as fun and stimulating.

And to add to what [MENTION=28253]Gypsy-Flux[/MENTION] mentioned, of Ne folks having to pace around while on the phone or thinking, I don't know if it's an Ne dom thing or attributed to ADHD, which I have, I definitely pace around a lot. I almost nearly have to be doing something physical while I'm thinking, either with my hands, bouncing my leg, listening to electronic music, etc. Something externally, has to give me an added level of mental stimulation for me to think clearly, helps to narrow my thoughts into something more lazer-like. I can almost feel my mind gaining an increased level of calmness when I'm physically stimulated.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes! Absolutely this. If something productive comes up of the conversation then fantastic! But if not, just the act of throwing thoughts around can be just as fun and stimulating.

And to add to what [MENTION=28253]Gypsy-Flux[/MENTION] mentioned, of Ne folks having to pace around while on the phone or thinking, I don't know if it's an Ne dom thing or attributed to ADHD, which I have, I definitely pace around a lot. I almost nearly have to be doing something physical while I'm thinking, either with my hands, bouncing my leg, listening to electronic music, etc. Something externally, has to give me an added level of mental stimulation for me to think clearly, helps to narrow my thoughts into something more lazer-like. I can almost feel my mind gaining an increased level of calmness when I'm physically stimulated.

:yes:

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Short story time:

I was at work the other day, and one of my co-workers (esfp) was getting bored at the end of the shift, so he was playing with his phone. A few minutes later he was watching a video on it.

My reaction to the noise was internal. I asked to myself "what is that? What is happening in the video?" Then I continued to answer all of the questions to myself. Not saying anything outloud.

While I was thinking all these things, I was staring at the computer, but not actually looking at the computer. I was looking through the computer, while processing and internalizing my perceptions. At the same time I was doing that, my perception of time went out the window, and I was trying to get farther away from the noise, so I could go farther into my head. Not because the noise was unpleasant, but because it would distract me from answering my questions.

A few moments later, my ENFP coworker started asking outloud "What's that!!?" "What do you have there?" "Is that a video?!" And she waited for an answer. (Which completely knocked me out of my trance....) Then she went over to him to get a closer look.

To me that's an example of Ni Dom (also sp dom) and Ne Dom (also so dom)

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
What about pacing around when deep in thought or on the phone. Do Ne users have a tendency to do this more than others?

The Ne users that I've known do these sorts of things a lot when their minds seem to be racing. Like move around in the room with no particular destination.

I've definitely noticed that in my ENTJ boss.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think my eyes are pretty 'soft', and someone on here said I had 'Ni eyes' - something about just the gaze itself. But when I'm talking, I'm rarely looking in one place. I look around a lot, look down, look sideways, etc. [MENTION=1180]miss fortune[/MENTION] told me I look around more than she does in vid. :laugh:

I'm not sure how much I attribute the body language/looking around thing to a function, though. I know people really into typing that way do so, but, I think a lot can also have to do with life experiences, comfort in a social setting/talking, etc.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What about pacing around when deep in thought or on the phone. Do Ne users have a tendency to do this more than others?

The Ne users that I've known do these sorts of things a lot when their minds seem to be racing. Like move around in the room with no particular destination. They just sort of weave around, all the while talking, and I'm thinking "Why did he go that way and come back, if he had nothing to do over there?" lol But yeah you can tell their minds are racing/preoccupied because they don't stop talking about a particular subject, and the body seems to mirror this mental activity in a way...

I could be wrong, maybe this type of behavior is not associated with Ne. Anyone relate to that sort of thing?

Wha-? What do you mean? Something like this..?
View attachment 16462

I pace around too. I don't know if it's type specific but one thing I have seen people with bad pacing problems like that's all they do. My isxj co-worker would do it all the time. It was super annoying that I couldn't concentrate. I told him to stop, and he did for like a minute or so then continued again.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I pace around too. I don't know if it's type specific but one thing I have seen people with bad pacing problems like that's all they do. My isxj co-worker would do it all the time. It was super annoying that I couldn't concentrate. I told him to stop, and he did for like a minute or so then continued again.

Ya, I'd be cautious to tie pacing with any particular typing or function. As you bring up, your ISxJ coworker does it to the point of being outright annoying and they aren't an intuitive dominant type. Pacing can also be a reflection of anxiety or nervousness. I do tend to move around more when I'm feeling ansty, or I'll bite my nails when I'm nervous, but I also do those things when I'm not nervous as well. I think it just makes those actions more prevelant when you throw in nervousness/anxiety, but definitely, I wouldn't say movement isn't only associated to a type or function. Maybe partially, but it's like having a runny nose, that's a symptom of a plethora of things, having a cold is only one of them.

But anyways, fun thread topic [MENTION=28253]Gypsy-Flux[/MENTION]! I wonder if you'll discover any outward patterns in the end :)

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ne manifests itself in darting eye movements. It can be physical realm, or the eyes could be darting around while the individual is "looking" around scattered areas in their own mind. When I am looking for possibilities in an area, my eyes dart from place to place. When I am trying to recollect something for communication or piece together others' communication into a mental image by finding appropriate pieces of my memory to form the mental image, my eyes dart around. Others do the same thing.

Ni is similar, but it is a meandering movement that is more based upon what I am shown rather than what I am trying to see.

In active conversation and societal effect, which is an extroversion, my eyes dart. When by myself and lost in thought, they tend to just meander about.

As in my Cognitive Functions and Behaviorism thread, Intuition is Divergent Perception. One is active. One is passive.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Also, I pace frequently when alone and in Ni mode.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Everybody have always told me that I always look spaced out or intensely inverted within my own thoughts. I'll even involuntary move my lips while staring at something, and had tons of older adults tell me to smile because I look "too serious" for a woman my age. My husband, an ENFP, is definitely more animated in eye and hand movements when he talks, and while I can move my eyes and hands while talking, he says that my eyes kind of deadpan to a particular spot and hold it there while his is all over the place.

When people take photographs of me without me expecting or noticing, I definitely look kind of stony, at least, in my eyes. Its kind of hard for me to explain, but I don't look very soft or friendly unless I train and pose my face to look a certain way when taking a selfie lol.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not a N dom but Fe coupled with Ni gives me a thousand yard stare with intense emotionality ... Like a mischievous twinkle in my eyes.. It tends to freak people out. I used to not know I was staring until someone started talking to me.

Gypsy-Flux

But anyways, fun thread topic [MENTION=28253]Gypsy-Flux[/MENTION]! I wonder if you'll discover any outward patterns in the end :)

Yeah, I've been wondering about this for a while, just because I find it difficult to grasp what Ne and Ni mean exactly (especially Ni). I was wondering if there were any "tells" that could reveal these modes in an individual.

This was enlightening for sure. :)

INTP1W2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1W2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was just about to mention something along these lines too. Not sure if it's true of dominant intuitive types, but in videos of myself I notice that I do tend to look all over the place when talking, and only occasionally actually looking at someone in the eyes.

Yeah, I look all over the place as well. I also walk all over the place too (in a conversation with someone else if I have the room to walk). I think I do this because I'm trying to visualize what they are sharing as they talk to me. If they are asking me questions or wanting feedback back, besides processing the topic at hand, I'm also trying to screen out the other "voices" and thoughts on other matters that have nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

The stares when in deep thought is another one too. It's not a confused stare but rather fixed on one point or object as I process. Sometimes I liken it to having to focus all of the resources at my body's disposal to focus all of their energies on the specific thought process at hand...like an all-hands-on-deck deal or something.