• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Let's Learn About Introverted Sensing!

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=23583]Yamato Nadeshiko[/MENTION] another question, I hope you don't mind - in terms of Si and noticing what has changed, is this strictly limited to sensory information such as taste or smell, or does it also apply to visual sensory information too, like noticing someone's hair being different, or a new painting is on someone's wall or something like that?

I'm not Yamato, but it depends on all sensory information. Noticing someone's hair being different is a common example of Si. I'm personally a more auditory person.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=23583]Yamato Nadeshiko[/MENTION] another question, I hope you don't mind - in terms of Si and noticing what has changed, is this strictly limited to sensory information such as taste or smell, or does it also apply to visual sensory information too, like noticing someone's hair being different, or a new painting is on someone's wall or something like that?

Sure, it could apply to that, as smile said. For me personally, I tend to soak in the details of my surroundings much more than the details of people. I don't notice when people change their hair or clothes unless it's a very drastic and obvious change. But if you ask me about an event that happened, I can give you a very detailed account. "It was raining, we went to an iHop, I ordered this and you ordered that, then we took our friend home, and then we went to the movie theatre on x street, and we saw this movie, and we sat on this side of the theatre and you said that funny thing." Like that. But I don't know if it's like that for everyone.

Jellyfish1234

Sure, it could apply to that, as smile said. For me personally, I tend to soak in the details of my surroundings much more than the details of people. I don't notice when people change their hair or clothes unless it's a very drastic and obvious change. But if you ask me about an event that happened, I can give you a very detailed account. "It was raining, we went to an iHop, I ordered this and you ordered that, then we took our friend home, and then we went to the movie theatre on x street, and we saw this movie, and we sat on this side of the theatre and you said that funny thing." Like that. But I don't know if it's like that for everyone.

Ah okay, thank you!

EDIT: Would you be able to give that detailed account after a long period of time still or is more of a short term thing?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is Si the function that makes me enjoy my martinis in the evening?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ah okay, thank you!

EDIT: Would you be able to give that detailed account after a long period of time still or is more of a short term thing?

Well, the memory that example was based off of happened like three years ago, so I guess so. :p

That would be Adulthood

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

If it's an attempt to set a "scene", to render an experience you once had that you enjoyed and want to emulate, I'd tie that to Si. Otherwise, no.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I HATE the stereotypes about SJs.... you can't stereotype a type that is so common imo, you can't say all ESFJs are prom queens or all ISFJs are housewives. because of this i have thought that several ESFJs were ENFJs, even though i know the functions and i should have known better. they were quite zany too, although this may have been due them developing their Ne a lot earlier than the regular ESFJ. it's annoying how all other MBTI types can vary but they always tar SJs with the same brush.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=23583]Yamato Nadeshiko[/MENTION]

Would you maybe explain how someone may behave through introverted sensing based on where it is in their function stack?

Si-dom:
Si-aux:
Si-tert:
Si-inferior:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Would you maybe explain how someone may behave through introverted sensing based on where it is in their function stack?

Si-dom:
Si-aux:
Si-tert:
Si-inferior:

Gurl I suck at this sort of thing. I can answer specific questions when asked, but tryna make a mini profile for each is like something I'm not capable of, especially in the tert and inferior positions. But I can try and say a few words for each.

Si-dom: Prefers the familiar to the unknown. Sentimental > nostalgic. More likely to reflect common values of the time period of their youth than not, but this isn't a guarantee. Probably make a lot of connections when learning or in casual conversation. Filters information through their personal experience and gives it subjective meaning. Prefer details over generalities.

Si-aux: Si acts as the sidekick to their Je. ??? [MENTION=24479]themightyfetus[/MENTION] help

Si-tert: Nostalgia > sentimentality. ? i dont
if you like socionics look at hidden agenda Si. I'd talk more about that but teh definitions of SI in MBTI and socionics are very different so I'm reluctant to mention it here

Si-inferior: ugh

Sorry, I'm really bad at this kind of thing. I'm much better at just answering direct questions than I am trying to create this type of thing. :(

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Nah, you're doing great, hun! As a Si-dom, details in real life as well as your memories stand out almost glaringly so, is that correct? I am someone who does notice details, but they never truly jump out at me and, as a result, leads me to many clumsy experiences in my life. At best, I would stub my toe at a table where I should know better that it'll get in my way; at worst, almost getting hit by a car despite the driver trying to beep his car at me.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Nah, you're doing great, hun! As a Si-dom, details in real life as well as your memories stand out almost glaringly so, is that correct? I am someone who does notice details, but they never truly jump out at me and, as a result, leads me to many clumsy experiences in my life. At best, I would stub my toe at a table where I should know better that it'll get in my way; at worst, almost getting hit by a car despite the driver trying to beep his car at me.

I've done something similar with clumsiness (almost walking right in front of a car driving 40 mph right at me and my ISTJ friend having to pull me out of the way). For me, I prefer to have all of the details when planning. You want to hang out sometime? Okay. Tell me when. Where. How are we going to get there? Who's picking up who? What time exactly?

It also makes it easier for me to learn new information. If you can show me how something you're trying to teach me right now is similar to That Thing I Already Know How To Do, then I'll be able to apply that experience to learning this new thing and it suddenly becomes much easier. Don't just tell me how to cross stitch, tell me how with cross-stitching you follow a pattern in the same way that you do with a latch hook, since I already know how to latch hook. Don't just tell me the address of the building, tell me that I just drive down the same road as I do to get to school and it's on the left side.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've done something similar with clumsiness (almost walking right in front of a car driving 40 mph right at me and my ISTJ friend having to pull me out of the way). For me, I prefer to have all of the details when planning. You want to hang out sometime? Okay. Tell me when. Where. How are we going to get there? Who's picking up who? What time exactly?

It also makes it easier for me to learn new information. If you can show me how something you're trying to teach me right now is similar to That Thing I Already Know How To Do, then I'll be able to apply that experience to learning this new thing and it suddenly becomes much easier. Don't just tell me how to cross stitch, tell me how with cross-stitching you follow a pattern in the same way that you do with a latch hook, since I already know how to latch hook. Don't just tell me the address of the building, tell me that I just drive down the same road as I do to get to school and it's on the left side.

I relate with the second paragraph.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Dude. I hate having to think about all of the bold words. Just, no.
I do plan, inside my own head, how it will all pan out, but then its more of the idea of it that excites me, but the details don't matter to me. In a way, they do, but I delegate that to someone more competent than me.

I do relate to this somehow, since I have shit tier memory: I just like to maybe try and relate the new thing with an old thing or an old memory, even if trying to take out prior information from my inner file cabinet or closet space isn't exactly my forte. With learning something new, I go by metaphors, images or a video, or perhaps a famous quote or message that somehow relates it to the new information. Is that Si or nah?

Also: Will you be doing what themightfetus did with her ESFJ description and make your own ISFJ description? Because you're right, the old ones out there right now don't summarize your type justice.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
With learning something new, I go by metaphors, images or a video, or perhaps a famous quote or message that somehow relates it to the new information. Is that Si or nah?

I don't particularly do this, especially with abstractions and metaphors. I relate it back to my own experiences rather than someone else's (like quotes). Though you might get feedback from others as well.

Also: Will you be doing what themightfetus did with her ESFJ description and make your own ISFJ description? Because you're right, the old ones out there right now don't summarize your type justice.

I've considered it before, but I don't think I will. I'm really bad at coming up with my own descriptions. I'm better at picking apart pre-existing descriptions to toss out all of the bullshit and answering questions when they are directly asked. But coming up with my own description from scratch isn't something I'm very good at.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Gurl I suck at this sort of thing. I can answer specific questions when asked, but tryna make a mini profile for each is like something I'm not capable of, especially in the tert and inferior positions. But I can try and say a few words for each.

Si-dom: Prefers the familiar to the unknown. Sentimental > nostalgic. More likely to reflect common values of the time period of their youth than not, but this isn't a guarantee. Probably make a lot of connections when learning or in casual conversation. Filters information through their personal experience and gives it subjective meaning. Prefer details over generalities.

Si-aux: Si acts as the sidekick to their Je. ??? [MENTION=24479]themightyfetus[/MENTION] help

Si-tert: Nostalgia > sentimentality. ? i dont
if you like socionics look at hidden agenda Si. I'd talk more about that but teh definitions of SI in MBTI and socionics are very different so I'm reluctant to mention it here

Si-inferior: ugh

Sorry, I'm really bad at this kind of thing. I'm much better at just answering direct questions than I am trying to create this type of thing. :(

School and work are fucking me up but I'll explain ESxJ when I can!

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I've considered it before, but I don't think I will. I'm really bad at coming up with my own descriptions. I'm better at picking apart pre-existing descriptions to toss out all of the bullshit and answering questions when they are directly asked. But coming up with my own description from scratch isn't something I'm very good at.

See, I actually think this could be the difference between tertiary Ne and tertiary Ti. You pick apart and replace, I invent and abstract. Neither is better than the other. Just different. Our functions are the same, but operating in an inverted way. You feel?