• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] which mbti type is least likely to suffer from depression?

chado

MBTI Type
infp
ok i no i no all types can be depressed but in your opinion which type least likely to suffer from depression or in other words wich mbti type do you think is most happyiest?
o and please state why?

IndigoViolet11

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Those who can get a much easier outlet to let out the steam sure git much less likely to suffer from a depression. This one is for sure, but that is just one factor. It seems that the less common personality types get that much less common than the others.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hard to say.
Depression is a complex issue that it is not just the person's type that is the cause of it, and it is mostly a cocktail of genes, family history, diet, and environment.

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Because a lot of people apparently think ESTPs are callous sociopaths, so I've often seen my own type the most cited as "least depressed".

However in reality, coming from my own personal experiences and those of others, is we suffer depression like most other types; we just try to do our best to keep feigning our sensory mania so that we make ourselves feel better and try to keep ahead on that sensory rush. That being said, I think we get a little addictive and then gradually lose interest in the Se-Ti activities we used to hold dear.

That being said, being that I view depression as an interplay between the body and mind (so I come from the camp that clinical depression is partly responsible for the more 'mental' state of depression and vise versa, and that it's not as simple as JUST treating it with medication if you want some of the damaging mental loops that come from it to be resolved). I don't think any one type is any more susceptible to being chemically depressed, but some types handle their depression or keep it under wraps better than others.

I've also heard people claim that in general Feelers are more depressed; I think they are more likely to SHOW that they are depressed and want to seek help out from others, but I think Thinkers are equally as capable of suffering depression, but they try to work through it on their own because their depression often stems FROM their failed dealings with other people.

iNtuitives are definitely more prone to some of the catatonic-type expressions of depression; whereas Sensors I feel like are less likely to assume that they themselves are depressed, but rather that their external environment or external factors are causing them to feel less-than-okay, so they often blindly strive to fix it or become more addictive/manic about their environment, but not truly improving the situation because they are failing to address the psychological factor.

Judgers get depressed when their plans fall through, because they feel like they have lost their security and wasted all that time planning; Perceivers get as equally depressed when the world demands certain things, methods, processes out of them that they are just plain not built for executing without burning themselves out.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
considering all of the factors that can cause depression and how unrelated they are generally to typology, you might as well ask which type is most prone to diabetes or something :shrug:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTJ, have you read the description...they live a life of depression according to "stereotypes"

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I saw you ask the introspection question on youtube the other day.

Hello from the other side.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTJ, have you read the description...they live a life of depression according to "stereotypes"

This straight up made me laugh. My ISTJ mom will brag about eating the same things every day and how she saves money by doing some reeeaaalll cheap living, etc and then she'll go on about how no one else could live like she does but that if they did they wouldn't be in debt, etc, etc...she's not wrong but I always stop her and tell her that I would be seriously depressed if I lived like her....like, it would really bum me out. Then she tells me she just looks at her bank account to feel good. She is a trip. :laugh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
entp, we are machines, post-apocalysm-fueled

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Depression (clinical depression is what I'm referring to) is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Not something that can be chalked up to type.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Another thread with answer ...

:notype:

Especially since depression manifests differently in types.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

nice stamp of [un]approval. we need more of this around.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
the chemical imbalance view of mental illness...

Depression (clinical depression is what I'm referring to) is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Not something that can be chalked up to type.

themightyfetus, I don't want to jump on you for this statement, just want to share something on this common misconception:

"Medical historians of the future will talk about the period of time around the end of the 20th century and the start of the 21st as a time when society generally subscribed to the myth that mental illnesses were caused by chemical imbalances. And then those historians will make some comment about that being a throwback to the medieval era when people thought health was dependent on balancing various internal fluids called “humors”. And the future historians might giggle a bit, maybe throw in a cautionary comment about the companies and doctors that fuelled the myth, then they’ll go play space golf.

The chemical imbalance view of mental illness is a medieval myth wrapped in a thin coating of contemporary sciencishness. As Thomas Insel, former director of the National Institute for Mental Health once described it back in 2011, it’s an 'antiquated' view."​

Permabanned
everyone knows the the to least likely to suffer from nefarious blank is mine

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
themightyfetus, I don't want to jump on you for this statement, just want to share something on this common misconception:

"Medical historians of the future will talk about the period of time around the end of the 20th century and the start of the 21st as a time when society generally subscribed to the myth that mental illnesses were caused by chemical imbalances. And then those historians will make some comment about that being a throwback to the medieval era when people thought health was dependent on balancing various internal fluids called “humors”. And the future historians might giggle a bit, maybe throw in a cautionary comment about the companies and doctors that fuelled the myth, then they’ll go play space golf.

The chemical imbalance view of mental illness is a medieval myth wrapped in a thin coating of contemporary sciencishness. As Thomas Insel, former director of the National Institute for Mental Health once described it back in 2011, it’s an 'antiquated' view."​

Ahh, yes. I actually watched a video on this. I guess what I meant was that it's not really a choice or a fun personality quirk.

chado

MBTI Type
infp
Ahh, yes. I actually watched a video on this. I guess what I meant was that it's not really a choice or a fun personality quirk.

my take is tho,since the consiousness can affect the brain,that some mbti types would be less prone to depression than other types?

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
my take is tho,since the consiousness can affect the brain,that some mbti types would be less prone to depression than other types?

No, I don't think so. These things tend to be a combination of genes and situations that might trigger an existing predisposition to depression.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
considering all of the factors that can cause depression and how unrelated they are generally to typology, you might as well ask which type is most prone to diabetes or something :shrug:

Back when mbti was getting famous everything was being related to their personality type and people seldom objected. Now thw trend has turned around and people quickly claim they are unrelared ro type.

Which types are more likely to be interested in reading and writing literature?
Which types are more likely to be interested in becoming a therapist?
Which types are more likely to be interested in and be good at sports or be athletically intelligent?
Which type is (in this instance i am using type instead of types) more likely to be as well read and compared to a walking encyclopedia?
I could go on...

Likewise i believe the op is asking a valid question.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Back when mbti was getting famous everything was being related to their personality type and people seldom objected. Now thw trend has turned around and people quickly claim they are unrelared ro type.

Which types are more likely to be interested in reading and writing literature?
Which types are more likely to be interested in becoming a therapist?
Which types are more likely to be interested in and be good at sports or be athletically intelligent?
Which type is (in this instance i am using type instead of types) more likely to be as well read and compared to a walking encyclopedia?
I could go on...

Likewise i believe the op is asking a valid question.

You can put this into a little mindful gameplay. These days people identify themselves via types, ok nerd people do. And they give those types attributes. That means they accept that typing. And that meands they are creating a parallel world of type, which is discussable. So a transformation of the actual world into the type world. That means, in conclusion, one day we need to type the types. Nerd's at their worst. Or bored !