• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tertiary Temptation - your experience?

redacted

If you want to look at it that way, just imagine someone using their "relief function" unhealthily often. It's the same thing.

sleepless

MBTI Type
INFJ
Uh, sorry, I deleted my message when I saw you had posted... :huh:

I will think of it, thanks.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know about this. Is this how you experience it, or is it just an idea? I definitely don't experience it like this, rather I think I can identify all the functions being used at a time, if I'm so inclined. If all are always being used, then that must be in very very subtle ways that we cannot observe ourselves, and that would make it useless to talk about functions.

I'm starting to not care for function-speak in general - I don't see it as being terribly beneficial to ones' development to view himself that way - but, since that's what this board is about, I'll continue on w/ those terms.

I do think with healthy individuals, multiple functions will be used at any given moment, and I don't think it's necessarily easy to dissect it at all. I think people who tend to rely on just one function are going to be less balanced, pretty transparent, and dare I say less healthy. But I'm also of the opinion that relying on ones top function or top two functions, and disregarding all others, isn't really a good thing. So I tend to WANT to move into all of the other 6 functions. Will I ever be skilled/competent at all of them? Definitely not. But I don't view them as the enemy, or anything.

sleepless said:
I think there is a point in having not more than one basic approach to life (Dominant function, that is), instead of some compromise between two or more. The Ti and Ni approach (for example) collide with each other and doesn't approve of the other. The question then is: Which one do you approve of? What is your approach? If we refuse to choose then we might not get anywhere with anything. One day we try to logically prove something through thorough analysis and argumentation, the next day we see through it all as being completely irrelevant and out of perspective. Mort Belfry, as an INTP you probably don't have to bother with Ni very much. For me, Ni is a holistic function whereas Ti is quite narrow. Your Ti probably works much better.

I don't see that it's necessary that it be a compromise. I think all of the functions can build upon one another.

Certainly one or more function can conflict with one another, in terms of coming to opposing conclusions, but the way I look at it is that I take pieces of all (I guess I may view all 8 functions as 8 different perspectives or priority-systems???), sift through all of them, discard some that just don't jive with my priorities, goals, or the specific situation at hand, take pieces of others and tie those in....

In other words for an INFJ, Ti doesn't HAVE to be the enemy. I guess I've never viewed it as such.

-------

Anyhow, details and practical things, when it comes to large life changes, can stress me and annoy me, so I'll often postpone some of that stuff. (but some details, like budgeting and household chores/etc, I keep on top of very well)

Conflict, being misunderstood, or freaking out about decisions I have made, and their implications (if there are substantial elements of the unknown, or risks involved) can stress me out.

When very stressed or emotionally upset (usually they go hand in hand), I become judgemental (don't typically externalize that, though), don't want to deal with people and am easily annoyed by people (so I tend to avoid them and want to become more hermit-like), my mind spins and I can't stop the cycle of thoughts, I beat myself up a lot, and I guess that's about it. Summary would be that I'm not 'calm' - my internal world is turbulent rather than a still, more rational/reflective surface.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'm starting to not care for function-speak in general - I don't see it as being terribly beneficial to ones' development to view himself that way - but, since that's what this board is about, I'll continue on w/ those terms.
If only NFs weren't so agreeable.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think too much and am always analyzing my surroundings
I am constanly critical

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If only NFs weren't so agreeable.

:rofl1:

Ah, what would ya do without us?

[sidenote: over the weekend I was in the unfortunate (but *quite* amusing) situation where I had to witness an INTP and INTJ get into an intense argument over something ridiculously stupid - just on semantics or some other stupid detail - it just floored me, I'm thinking....what is the big deal, you guys are being so immature!! What a pointless waste of breath! I, of course, helped break it up. They continued fuming inwardly. :laugh:]

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
[sidenote: over the weekend I was in the unfortunate (but *quite* amusing) situation where I had to witness an INTP and INTJ get into an intense argument over something ridiculously stupid - just on semantics or some other stupid detail - it just floored me, I'm like....what is the big deal, you guys are being so immature!! What a pointless waste of breath! :laugh:]
The worst arguments I've had (over nothing) were between myself and ENTPs.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you want to look at it that way, just imagine someone using their "relief function" unhealthily often. It's the same thing.
Well, that's certainly possible. The negative side of the relief function is an "unsettling" or "childish" use, where we use it to distract ourselves or others.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm going to hold to my position that while T is definitely my 3rd function, I access it through skills and therefore don't really differentiate Te from Ti. It's just something I pull up methods i've learned to employ. Whereas my 4th function Se, external details and the real world, is definitely my nemesis (although i've perfected marking where my car is in big parking lots) I have tons of ways to use Se for fun. Complete shutdown of Ni which is very relaxing.

I can't think of any T things I do for fun. It creeps in as mentioned way above but...

sleepless

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm really getting tired of this. Everyone has their own private understanding of the functions, and discussion seems meaningless.

dissonance,

I'm more confused than ever now. I agree or I disagree, or both. Or I don't care anymore, MBTI suddenly seems to make little sense.

cascademn,

I have always thought of the functions as putting you in different "ego-states", that is, when we are in the grip of a shadow function we feel like "not ourselves". I'm a bit lazy so I'll just quote this:

INFJ Archetypes

Here's a new wrinkle: the first four functions listed above are what Dr. John Beebe calls "ego-syntonic." That means when we access these functions, we are in "synch" with them. They feel comfortable, they come naturally to us, and we feel "normal" when we use them. When we access them, our "ego" says, "Yep, that's me."

What about those last four functions?

Dr. Beebe calls those functions "ego-dystonic." That means those functions do not come as easily or naturally to us, and we do not feel "normal" when we use them -- in fact, we feel like we're alien, not ourselves. When we access them, our ego says, "Who was that? That doesn't feel right. That's not like me!"

As a result, we naturally tend to be more deft and graceful at using our first four functions than our last four functions.

So, if you see it this way, the functions can't "build upon one another" (each of the ego-syntonic functions also play specific roles). If you see it some other way there is no point in discussing it. ><

*sigh* :(

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
lol

functions aren't that hard to understand. as far as ego-states, don't look too much into it.