User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Default Does everyone struggle with authority, or only certain types?

I'm an ENTP, and I have struggled with listening/following authority ever since I can remember. Whether it's because I think my authority isn't qualified to be in a position of leadership, or because I just don't want to be bossed around, I've always hated it.
    My ISFP brother, however, has no problem being told what to do. He follows, listens, and was always the perfect child. Am I just a brat, or does this have something to do with how our brains work..? Thanks! [emoji16]
    Likes N/A liked this post

However You Project Me
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

I think anyone can, just with differing levels according to types. I have a minor problem with them, but it isn't a huge deal.

When it comes to jobs, I do prefer more freedom and structure and when I can accomplish certain things within my own time frame than some set schedule with someone breathing over my shoulder.
    Last edited by Forever; 05-29-2016 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Yeah it's edited. Suck it.
    Maybe we can save the world
    From every evil boy and dangerous girl
    Please make me believe in harmony
    Likes Madisonclark liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    946 sx
    Socionics
    IEI None

I never really had any issues with authority, assuming they wield their power in a respectable and commendable manner and not so to push subordinates down.
    Likes /DG/, Madisonclark liked this post

Enneagram
    954 sp/sx

I have always reacted unfavorable to dictator-type authority. Basically if someone tells me they want me to do something in a really bossy way I will deliberately not do it. My report card at school always said I was a gifted student but I had an attitude problem. I was also hugely rebellious towards my parent's authority as a child. As an adult I still avoid situations where I feel controlled but it isn't as strong of an aversion.

I don't know if it is type related or not. A friend of mine said it was unlikely I was an SJ based on that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't think much about it, unless the authority is completely incompetent. I don't approach people with a mindset of - they are the authority and I should treat them in some other way than I would anyone else. Maybe this approach keeps people from trying to boss me around, I don't know.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Hard, Yama, Cellmold, Madisonclark liked this post

MBTI
    ISFJ

Hm, this reminds of how Socionics outlines the values of Extroverted Sensing;

"The individual feels at home among people who are actively doing something and interacting with each other directly (visibly), and is able to organize people, move them around as necessary, and guide them in achieving a specific goal. He or she likes obedience and even subservience in others, since it allows him to "make things happen" more effectively".

Extroverted sensing - Wikisocion

Other than that, I don't know.
    "Those who do not move, do not notice their chains"
    -Rosa Luxemburg

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    yupp

any type can struggle with authority. I don't think struggling with authority is type related although why they do might be.
    like Te doms i feel would struggle with it because they often want to be the ones in charge
    Fi doms I feel would struggle with it because they don't give a fuck and want to be left alone (at least this is why i struggle with it)
    the rest i dunno there's probably reasons

but at the same time any type can also be ok with authority.

now before people jump down my throat, not all te or fi doms feel this way.
    Likes cascadeco, geedoenfj, Madisonclark, fetus liked this post

Enneagram
    4 sp

Re being a 'perfect child' and listening, pleasing, etc, a lot of that could be tied to being F, too, and disliking conflict or liking to please....so it may not have much to do with the authority figure concept.

I think as a young child I probably respected all of my teachers and wanted to please/not get in trouble.

Now that I'm older, I will question or not automatically agree if the person in charge asks me to do something that doesn't make sense, or makes a decision that I question.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ
    Likes prplchknz, geedoenfj, Stell, Madisonclark liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I do not struggle with authority.

Senior Member ThaumaturgicTheorist's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9? sp

The more I find out ultra-independent, anti-authority people like the OP (and others I've encountered online who are even more so) exist, the more I feel disgusted with myself for being how I am.

I'm naturally deferent to authority and always have been. Heck, the culture shift towards more casual workplace relations, even, often feels weird to me, though I think I've adapted okay. However, someone in authority is always more qualified, intelligent, etc than I am, plus they hold power over some aspect or moment of my life - so, shouldn't I be afraid of them and take care not to get on their bad side?