Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Default Using your inferior function well

Almost all the talk around here on the inferior functions is negative. How it's difficult, how it causes pain. Yet, if all we did was use it badly, we wouldn't function as people. We all make use of our inferior function in a postive and constructive way, just not all the time.

How has your inferior function worked well for you? How has it been positive? How do you make use of it where it helps and makes you a more wholesome good person? How does it feel and work naturally?

Discuss.

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

Fi

1. It "forced" me to drag others out of problems.
    2. It helped me to maintain my course when times where hard
    3. It provides at least some meaning to my life
    4. It helps me to at least somewhat understand others
    5. Provides ambition

Enneagram
    954 sp/sx

This is a subject that has always interested me. In my younger years I was frequently in a Te grip so I feel like I have gained some useful skills from it but now I know how to make it work with my Fi included. Instead of implementing impersonal structure and systems I have gained enough knowledge about planning to use it to make sure that my goals and passions are being reached in a timely manner. I can create plans and organize things so they are personalized to me and the people in my family so that our lives will be easier. It is one of the things I have struggled about with my type because so many of the stereotypes do not allow for decisiveness and planning for an INFP. I am a bit older though so maybe that is why I am able to do this?

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Verona View Post
    This is a subject that has always interested me. In my younger years I was frequently in a Te grip so I feel like I have gained some useful skills from it but now I know how to make it work with my Fi included. Instead of implementing impersonal structure and systems I have gained enough knowledge about planning to use it to make sure that my goals and passions are being reached in a timely manner. I can create plans and organize things so they are personalized to me and the people in my family so that our lives will be easier. It is one of the things I have struggled about with my type because so many of the stereotypes do not allow for decisiveness and planning for an INFP. I am a bit older though so maybe that is why I am able to do this?

Yes, functions lower on the list develope with time.

On the other hand you are 9 instead of 4 and 9s are more practical than 4s. (Stereotypical INFP is a e4)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

Inferior Ne is really fun to play with when it's not being a butthead.
    Likes fetus liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

I think the pain of the inferior is constructive. It "hurts" because people are conditioned to neglect it.
    When it "hurts" it's a sign that things are too far out of balance. That the reigns are too loose and the lead dog needs to be reeled back in a bit.
    I've read it called the "doorway to the unconscious". From that I think, "self-preserving", "instinctive", and "ever-present though never-known".

It's positive edge is that it forces one to wake up to their unraveling. The psychological fail-safe you never knew you had or needed.
    Likes Yama, Punderstorm liked this post

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I don't even know what my inferior function is. First of all, I don't believe fully in the MBTI theory which dictates functions appear in a certain order, even the function 3,4, 5.. all up to 8. Second of all, I don't know which type I am, ENTP or ENTJ, or perhaps some other.

I would guess some kind of sensing is weak for me, most probably Si. Using stuff described as Si as sometimes really hateful and loathsome to me.
    Parts of feeling are hard to me, but not really.

So if I went according to the theory, my primary must be NE, as Si as hardest for me. My secondary must be Tx, as Fx is somewhat hard but not that hard for me.

So, how I use my inferior? I Collect papers on some issues like taxes, sales and such, store them and use them whenever I need to remember how some financial transaction happened. I store information and retrieve it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

However You Project Me
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

I don't think I need to explain for mine. I kind of just show it, kind of neat huh?
    Maybe we can save the world
    From every evil boy and dangerous girl
    Please make me believe in harmony

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Almost all the talk around here on the inferior functions is negative. How it's difficult, how it causes pain. Yet, if all we did was use it badly, we wouldn't function as people. We all make use of our inferior function in a postive and constructive way, just not all the time.

How has your inferior function worked well for you? How has it been positive? How do you make use of it where it helps and makes you a more wholesome good person? How does it feel and work naturally?

Discuss.
    As far as I know my inferior function is Se but I've never seen it as a negative at all. When I was younger, yes it was undeveloped but I've always liked physical activity, sports and things like that, so I was a little ahead. I love cooking/baking and I see that as a relaxing activity that has an artistic element. I'm not holed up in the house all the time - I like being outside. I have a couple more spontaneous friends, this likely helps me experience what Se had to offer even more.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

According to some JCF theorists, we actually develop our inferior before our tert. The logic is simple: in the late teens before our frontal lobes are fully developed, our inferior challenges our dominant function for control. Then, eventually, around 25, we have a quarter life crisis and the inferior is subsumed into the dominant. It no longer really exists independently, but we use it as we use the dominant function.

Periods in the grip can therefore be profound periods of growth. We use these functions and develop them to become a more well rounded person, actualized.

In my case, the pattern was a bit messed up. In a defensive measure, I not only lived in my Ti, I never consciously realized I lived an entirely different manner than I believed I did. I lived as the Fe dom, outgoing, connected to everything and everyone, finding meaning behind the surface, but I believed myself to be a cold thinker, imprevious to everyone else and logical as Spock. The long battle led to a ton of problems, finally coming to a head last year at midlife.

So, while I am clearly a ENFJ based upon my life and such, I have been told I sometimes wield Ti very strongly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984
    Likes Punderstorm liked this post