First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IxI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    I almost wonder if the MBTI just doesn't fit certain people all together very well.
    Yeah, I've sometimes wondered this as well. I'm almost certain I've switched from INTP to ISFP and back at several points in my lifetime. It's not just a minor change, it's a complete inversion of my personality. It's caused me great distress in some cases because for a while after the switch happens, I have trouble identifying with my own ego. I literally feel like a different person, almost like I'm being possessed or something.
    INTP
    ILI or IEI
    5w4 - 9w1 - 4w5 sp/sx
    MelPhleg

Johari | Nohari

Parody Parrot
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Don't underestimate genetics and environmental factors the first 3-4 years in one's life. I think this determines roughly 90% of who we are.

Eventhough our brains are very flexible, I've never seen a drastic personality change in anyone I've known. I often use the saying 'people don't change'. Unless you're talking brain seizures or other severe traumas.
    I think people can drastically change their attitude (for better or worse) but not their type.
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave
    Likes Zeego, Kheledon liked this post

Considering idiotic statements such as "I am weird" can be seen on so-called type tests, I think it's safe to say one could change their type as often as they take a piss.
    Likes meowington, Zeego, Cellmold, Poki liked this post

MBTI
    ENtP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    This reads more like one explanation of how personality changes could be explained even assuming that type doesn't change, rather than as an explanation of why type cannot change.
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Zeego liked this post

However You Project Me
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Ah, but it isn't in a way that he thought type was fluid, you could change your mind about someone later in your life. He was never sure if he himself were an INTP or INFJ/INTJ .
    Maybe we can save the world
    From every evil boy and dangerous girl
    Please make me believe in harmony

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

"The topic of personal identity is strictly speaking nonexistent. It’s important to recognize that we are not the kind of things that simply popped into existence at birth, continue to exist, the same thing, then die off the cliff edge or go into another realm. We are these very remarkably ordered collections of things. It is because we’re so ordered that we are able to think of ourselves as being singular persons. But there is no singular person there, that means we’re forever changing.” - Julian Baggini: The Ego Trick: In Search of the Self
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes Zeego, Kheledon liked this post

MBTI
    ZNTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE None

What I have seen is that people tend to cycle through different functions in patterns that usually roughly fit a particular type. I think the difference between this perspective on type and the way that Jung classically framed it is little more than different framing, a matter of semantics. I also think that perhaps Nardi did not factor this fluctuation within type development thoroughly enough when drawing conclusions on his data.

MBTI
    beep
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think the majority of people who enforce this belief are NTs who like to believe that anyone they dislike is an INFP and cannot possibly be anything else.
    Previous username: EliaBlack

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    136 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I recall reading somewhere that one's Jungian "type" is set by the age of five. I have no empirical evidence to support this position at the moment, but I can say this. I self-typed as an INTJ from the age of 19 until the age 47. Cultural bias tells men they must be T. My insecurities made me look and feel like an I. Once I actually discovered that I was an ENFJ, however, and once I thoroughly reviewed and examined my actual behavior throughout my life (as opposed to my self-image and/or the "mask" I wore when I engaged with others and the world), it became clear to me that my behavior has always matched the behavior that Socionics, at least, predicts as typical for an ENFj. I had been deceiving myself about who I truly was for many years.

Cognitive functions, it appears to me, based upon my own, personal experience, seem to become hard-wired at an early age. I was always a performer, even as a young child. I can remember my grandmother telling me, "You were always the cutest child," and other relatives also have shared stories of my "performances" as a young person. I remain, in essence, a "performer" to this day.
    MBTI: ENFJ
    M/B Functional Stack: Dominant--Fe, Auxilliary--Ni, Tertiary--Se, Inferior--Ti
    Ego (Jungian): FeNi
    Socionics: EIE-Fe, Beta
    Socionics Functional Stack: Program--Fe, Creative--Ni, Role--Te, PoLR--Si
    Enneagram Type 1
    Tritype 136
    Big Five: SCOEI - sxO|E|i
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    House: Slytherin (the "ethical teacher" type, i.e. Severus Snape)
    Color Code: Blue (intimacy-driven)
    Soul Type: Educator

Sentio ergo sum.

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

Because people like certainty ... even if it doesn't exist in the real world.
    Likes Kheledon, Zeego, Cellmold liked this post