User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Zeego View Post
    The idea that a person's type is "set in stone" seems to have originated with Myers and Briggs.
    How else do you expect them to make money?

However You Project Me
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Zeego View Post
    The general consensus in the Jungian typing community is that a person is born as one type, and this type never changes. However, this contradicts Jung himself, who believed that a person's type can change over the course of their lifetime. V.W. Odajnyk also believed this and talked about it in his book Archetype and Character. The idea that a person's type is "set in stone" seems to have originated with Myers and Briggs. What I'm wondering is, why has this become the default belief in the Jungian community? Most of the people online who say you can't change your type seem to be blindly parroting it without considering why they think it's true in the first place. There's no empirical evidence that proves a person's cognitive functions can't change over time (in fact, Dario Nardi's research arguably proves that they do). Any theories on why this belief has become so widespread?
    I think you may are misquoting Jung getting the wrong intention. In his book psychological types that he is actually saying people can grow but their functions and whether they are at base an introvert/extrovert are still the same. If you can find an exact quote let me know.
    Maybe we can save the world
    From every evil boy and dangerous girl
    Please make me believe in harmony

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

What about radical changes of political system in your country ?

(not everyone here is stereotypical 1th worlder)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I personally don't believe people change. They can learn new habits and behavior to hide sides of themselves but those are just superficial. Person beneath stays the same.
    "The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd."
    - Bernard Russell
    Likes wolfnara, Kheledon liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

johari
    nohari
    Likes Zeego, Punderstorm liked this post

Because they can't?
    "Ce que nous connaissons est peu de chose, ce que nous ignorons est immense."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    infj None

Well I think generally the whole point is to gain self awareness and honesty in understanding and perceiving your true self.

Supposedly, you can learn coping strategies or learn to compensate for a weakness but it will never be as comfortable as being or doing what comes naturally to you. Once you are more aware of your natural temperament and self it is a bit easier to find fulfillment and gratification because you will be able to make or find more authentic life options or goals, instead of trying to work against who you are and perhaps maybe more sincere desires.
    Likes Zeego, Kheledon liked this post

MBTI
    ISFJ

I also believe that cognition doesn't change in people overtime. Based on research there has been claims that the weaker functions begin to develop overtime, but I can't confirm the truth of that of course. Whether or not we are born with a cognitive function that naturally takes the dominant place in the pscyhe is a philosophical nature vs nurture argument, therefore it can't be deemed as a fact without uncertainty. I believe personality develops during the childhood upbringing, based on what values our parents and other authoritative figures impose on us, as well as our general lifestyle and activities.
    "Those who do not move, do not notice their chains"
    -Rosa Luxemburg
    Likes Zeego liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IxI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    I think you may are misquoting Jung getting the wrong intention. In his book psychological types that he is actually saying people can grow but their functions and whether they are at base an introvert/extrovert are still the same. If you can find an exact quote let me know.
    Jung identified Nietzsche as both INTJ and I-TP | CelebrityTypes
    INTP
    ILI or IEI
    5w4 - 9w1 - 4w5 sp/sx
    MelPhleg

Johari | Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    infj None

When I was really young and not all together very worldly or had really attempted to overcome and compensate for any of my perceived weaknesses, I surely would always test as an INFP; but as I have changed and worked on self improvement I have found that when I take tests I sometimes get ENFJ and sometimes even really close to getting INTJ---because my Judging function has become so much more developed and my T has become a lot stronger and I become close to the middle all of the time. But yet, I cannot really fathom being an ENFJ, or even all together an extrovert.

I almost wonder if the MBTI just doesn't fit certain people all together very well.

Oh, but recently I took a "strongest function" test for fun and I got like 99% Fi-dom, so that is obviously really apparently and (and gratingly) flippantly strong, lol.

I almost feel like I've broken through the test her or something, lol.
    Likes Zeego liked this post