• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can someone explain Cognitive Functions in layman terms?

bintyx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2&7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm new and would love insight to these. Thanks!

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm new and would love insight to these. Thanks!

What do you want to know? There is a lot out there, but what basic idea(s) are you interested in finding out first?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A while back I started a couple threads. There are a lot of stereotypes about Si and Fe that too many people buy into. As it turns out, the threads were popular, and with the help of some other awesome members, we started a whole trend of threads where members who value certain functions explained their own understandings of those functions. Links for you! I can't seem to find the one on Se but here are the other 7.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...si-conservative-semantics-misconceptions.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...nctions/81133-fjs-describe-fe-understand.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...nctions/81211-fps-describe-fi-understand.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-cognitive-functions/81308-understand-ti.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...nctions/81209-tjs-describe-te-understand.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...81265-sexy-people-describe-ne-experience.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...tions/81263-xnxjs-describe-ni-understand.html

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
We live on a wheel.

We are born, with sense. From sense we make thoughts. From thoughts we grow attached. From attachment we seek to aquire and preserve, to serve our senses.

bintyx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2&7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thank you, the typology wikipedia was helpful. Still reading but so far one question: why are our Judging/Perceiving functions not included in cognitive functions?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you, the typology wikipedia was helpful. Still reading but so far one question: why are our Judging/Perceiving functions not included in cognitive functions?

They are: Ni Ne Se and Si are perceiving functions.

Fi Fe Te and Ti are judging functions.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

So the cognitive function theory is that they do reflect J/P, and whether you are J or P determines your cognitive functions. So ENFJs and ENFPs, for example, don't share the same cognitive function (as least as their top four). So the J and P have their effect. J/P determines the which cognitive functions you have (at least for your top four), and E/I determines which one you lead with (so extraverts lead with an extraverted function), and so swaps ordering around a bit. So, the outer letters of your type reflect what kind of functions the inner letters represent. So they are more like adjectives where your functions are the nouns.

(The non-cognitive function theory is that functions aren't a real thing, and that they are describing preference combinations, so "Ne" is really N+P, etc.)

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
[MENTION=28010]bintyx[/MENTION] —

To follow up on that tantalizing hint at the end of Seymour's post...

If you're open to a somewhat contrarian perspective (at least in the context of the Great MBTI Forum Echo Chamber), you can find a lot of potentially eye-opening discussion of the relationship between the dichotomies and the so-called "cognitive functions," the place of the functions (or lack thereof) in the MBTI's history, and the tremendous gap between the dichotomies and the functions in terms of scientific respectability in this TC Wiki page and the posts it links to.

tl;dr: The cognitive functions are a "category mistake."

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've explained in this Post. It can take time to fully grasp the definitions of each cognitive function, so it might help to only use and read sources that contain more reliable information.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
@<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/8936.html" target="_blank">highlander</a>

I looked at that and looked on CognitiveType.com and saw this closest to the eyes of my face this is from NiTe:

nite_01.png

I'm comparing others and I see solohouette on youtube match the infj eyes of c. on NiFe profile.

Woah and my mom and dad, ISTJ and ESFJ respectively, I think it's straight up a match!

Wait jk jk on my sister, she's an INFP.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
@<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/8936.html" target="_blank">highlander</a>

I looked at that and looked on CognitiveType.com and saw this closest to the eyes of my face this is from NiTe:

Woah and my mom and dad, ISTJ and ESFJ respectively, I think it's straight up a match!

Wait jk jk on my sister, she's an INFP.

I don't think you are an INTJ

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This might be helpful.

Enneagram MBTI Correlation. Like these observations here:

Several overall themes and patterns emerged from the data.

Enneagram 1 - There is a strong correlation between Enneagram 1 and those that prefer Introverted Sensing in the dominant or auxiliary position. There was also a correlation between Enneagram 1 and Introversion. 82% - 84% of Enneagram ones are of four types: ISTJ, ESTJ, ISFJ and ESFJ. Reflecting the the higher frequency of 1 among sensors and higher percentage of sensors in the population as a whole, it can be observed that 88% - 90% of Enneagram 1s are Sensors, with INTJs and ENTJs being the Intuitive types mostly likely to be a 1.

Enneagram 2 - 93% - 98% of Enneagram 2s have a preference for Feeling over Thinking. There appears to be a specific additional correlation between Enneagram 2 and Extraverted Feeling. 63% - 79% of Enneagram 2s fall into four types: ISFJ, ESFJ, ENFJ and INFJ. Enneagram 2 is especially prevalent amongst those that have a dominant preference for Extraverted Feeling - specifically ENFJs and ESFJs, where it is by far the most common Enneagram type.

Enneagram 3 - Between 82% and 91% of Enneagram 3s are Extraverts and this single dimension appears to be the most strongly correlated with the type, 62% -74% of 3s fell into four types: ESTJ, ESFJ, ESTP and ESFP. Intuitive types that were mostly likely to be an Enneagram 3 were ENTJ, ENTP and ENFJ.

Enneagram 4 - Enneagram 4 is strongly correlated with a preference for intuition as well as feeling. It is also more likely to be associated with introversion than extraversion. The types most likely to be Enneagram 4 are in order of likelihood, INFP (42% - 57% of INFPs are 4), INFJ (29% - 44% of INFJs are 4), ISFP (27% - 35% of ISFPs are 4) and ENFP (23% - 25% of ENFPs are 4). Between 56% and 65% of Enneagram 4s are made up of these three types. An additional 19 - 31% of Enneagram 4s are ISFJs and ESFPs because it is not an uncommon type for them and their overall prevalence in the population as a whole.

Enneagram 5 - Though almost any type could be a 5, Enneagram 5s are typically Introverted Thinkers with 59% to 75% falling into one of four types INTP, ISTJ, INTJ, and ISTP. It is by far the most common type for INTPs, INTJs and ISTPs.

Enneagram 6 - Enneagram 6 is interesting in that it is present in significant numbers across all of the MBTI types. 13% - 17% of Sensing types and 6% - 10% of Intuitive types were Enneagram 6 making it more strongly correlated with Sensing than Intuition. Reflecting the the higher frequency of 6 among sensors and higher percentage of sensors in the population as a whole, it can be observed that 87% - 89% of Enneagram 6s are Sensors. There was an especially strong correlation specifically between Enneagram 6 and the SJ Temperament. ISTJs and ISFJs are the two types that are most likely to be Enneagram 6 and these two types alone constitute 46% - 57% of the Enneagram 6s in the overall population.

Enneagram 7 - Enneagram 7 correlates strongly with EP - dominant Extraverted Intuition (ENFP, ENTP) and dominant Extraverted Sensing (ESFP, ESTP). 71% - 89% of Enneagram 7s were one of those four types.

Enneagram 8 - 8 is by far the most common Enneagram type for ENTJs, representing 32% - 46% of the population. 58% - 71% of Enneagram 8s fell into one of three types: ESTJ, ESTP and ENTJ. Between 31% and 45% of 8s are ESTJs, largely due to how common the ESTJ type is.

Enneagram 9 - Enneagram 9 appears to be be correlated with a preference for feeling and introversion. Between 79% and 83% of 9s have a preference for feeling over thinking. 68% - 70% of Enneagram 9s are Introverts. There also appears to be a slight correlation with sensing over intuition.