• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I've Figured it Out: Distinguishing Someone as S or N

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Everyone daydreams, because all types use all eight cognitive functions. Daydreaming about things that may never, or has yet to, occur takes Ni. Daydreaming about the past utilizes Si. You don't daydream with Ti and Fi because they are both action based cognitive functions. Instead, when in deep thought and analyzing a current problem Ti emerges, and when determining whether something fits into your value system you use Fi. All four functions may be misconceived as daydreaming, however only Ni and Si can be used for this type activity.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I relate strongly to what Laughing Dolphin posted earlier. It requires tremendous concentration on my part to keep focused on the here-and-now for even so much as a few minutes. Whenever I wind up having to run errands all day, I feel completely mentally drained, and I usually have a headache from the constant concentrating it required; far more drained than even if I'd been at a large party, for example. I also am extremely absent-minded and have had to train myself to pat my pockets for my keys, wallet, and cell phone. It's gotten to the point where I do it subconsciously now. A few friends have noted this and chided me for "patting my own ass" every time I go through a door. When I lived in the States and drove, I can't even tell you how many times I was headed someplace, but wound up driving halfway to my workplace instead as I zoned out and autopilot took over.

I realize that for such practical concerns, if nothing else, my Se needs to be developed, but I just find concrete reality so completely uninteresting. What's more, I'm so completely unfamiliar with my Se that I wouldn't even know how to begin going about it. My Se, as far as I can tell, pretty much only distinguishes between "good" and "unpleasant/painful".

In regard to the fiction conversation, I will read fiction, but only if it's by authors who write about fantastic applications of things I have an interest in, such as Neil Stephenson. As a result the only fiction I read is science fiction. Well, no, that's not entirely true; I will periodically read a "classic" for the sake of edification.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I relate strongly to what Laughing Dolphin posted earlier. It requires tremendous concentration on my part to keep focused on the here-and-now for even so much as a few minutes. Whenever I wind up having to run errands all day, I feel completely mentally drained, and I usually have a headache from the constant concentrating it required; far more drained than even if I'd been at a large party, for example. I also am extremely absent-minded and have had to train myself to pat my pockets for my keys, wallet, and cell phone. It's gotten to the point where I do it subconsciously now. A few friends have noted this and chided me for "patting my own ass" every time I go through a door. When I lived in the States and drove, I can't even tell you how many times I was headed someplace, but wound up driving halfway to my workplace instead as I zoned out and autopilot took over.

I realize that for such practical concerns, if nothing else, my Se needs to be developed, but I just find concrete reality so completely uninteresting. What's more, I'm so completely unfamiliar with my Se that I wouldn't even know how to begin going about it. My Se, as far as I can tell, pretty much only distinguishes between "good" and "unpleasant/painful".

In regard to the fiction conversation, I will read fiction, but only if it's by authors who write about fantastic applications of things I have an interest in, such as Neil Stephenson. As a result the only fiction I read is science fiction. Well, no, that's not entirely true; I will periodically read a "classic" for the sake of edification.
I identified a lot with the first paragraph. The other two, not so much. I'm relatively hedonistic about my favored physical pleasures (chiefly food and sex) and I enjoy many kinds of fiction including some of the classics. As a matter of fact, I've found (free) audio-novels a great tool for keeping my mind happily distracted while I do mundane tasks that don't take a lot of serious thought.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Everyone daydreams, because all types use all eight cognitive functions. Daydreaming about things that may never, or has yet to, occur takes Ni. Daydreaming about the past utilizes Si. All four functions may be misconceived as daydreaming, however only Ni and Si can be used for this type activity.

I wonder if this applies to dreaming? Assuming you could remember your dreams. My husband tends to dream about things from his past, especially when it comes to nightmares. I, on the other hand, have really disjointed, end of the world dreams/ nightmares.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I identified a lot with the first paragraph.

So did I... I am constantly doing the "clothes patting" thing too (to check for wallet, keys, inhaler, and whatnot!) I do better when driving, because I focus more on it, but I can run routes in autopilot easily.

And mostly it is because I find the internal world much more interesting than the outer. I collect data from the outer to construct my ideas, but I have trouble just sitting and "basking" in stimulation.

Another thing that frustrates me is just not having a sensory-impression memory. I will sit and try to ingrain the details of a scene in my mind (a building, or a nature view, some large landscape, or the specific features of someone's face)... and as soon as I leave, I can't remember (!). Unless the data is being used specifically to support a concept, I just cannot for the life of me remember it. Although i am very good at immediately recognizing patterns and data I've seen before (like someone's face) I store concepts, not details, and couldn't recreate the actual image -- only the "form" of it" -- from scratch at all.

So it's annoying when I would love to draw something, but unless it's in front of me, forget recalling anything specific. Only the concepts or the things that directly impact/change my internal world are recalled with clarity.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I just had an experience that I thought was quite telling regarding S/N differences. I was talking to my sister, ENTJ, and my friend Dave, ISTJ. I was saying that I usually can't picture people's appearances in my mind if they're not around for a couple of days or more, but that I can vividly recall their 'essence'.

Dave looked really stumped like he didn't know what I meant. I tried to explain: "If someone's sitting next to you, and you close your eyes, can't you sense that there's someone there, even though you can't see or hear them or actually feel them touching you or anything? If they get up and walk out, even if they do it absolutely silently and your eyes are closed, can't you feel that they're not there any more?"

My sister was nodding a lot, while Dave was just scowling and looking at me like I was some kind of crackpot.

My sister then said, "Haven't you ever had that Dave? Like you can close your eyes and 'summon up' the person's essence, like you can 'see' their soul, who they are, and really feel their personality, as real as if you could reach out your hand and touch them, even though you can't SEE anything?"

My sister and I agreed that neither of us can very easily picture people's faces in detail in our minds, and that we think it's because we're never paying attention to those details anyway and using our minds to 'see' rather than our eyes. I was avoiding using the word 'intuition' because I didn't want to bias the conversation and my sister doesn't know about MBTI - But she used the word herself, she said "I rely on my intuition really, more than what I can see - you can never go by what you see, so I tend not to pay much attention to it".

And Dave just made WTF faces and seemed torn as to whether he thought we were crazy or if he felt a bit worried that he was inadequate in some way because he couldn't do this thing we were talking about doing so easily.

It's weird, because this conversation happened because my dad just died on Sunday, and it got started cos we were saying how his face is one of the few faces - as well as my daughter's - that we really can clearly picture all the time in our minds. We talked about how it's strange that they both had in common Asperger's Syndrome, and speculated on whether that lack of 'connection' from their side meant that our intuition was a bit stumped as to grasping the essence of them (or because of our lack of understanding of ASD until recent years), and so we tended to rely more on our senses with them, as we had little else to go by. A bit like a Betazoid being 'stumped' by Data :)

What do you guys think?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just had an experience that I thought was quite telling regarding S/N differences. I was talking to my sister, ENTJ, and my friend Dave, ISTJ. I was saying that I usually can't picture people's appearances in my mind if they're not around for a couple of days or more, but that I can vividly recall their 'essence'. ... My sister then said, "Haven't you ever had that Dave? Like you can close your eyes and 'summon up' the person's essence, like you can 'see' their soul, who they are, and really feel their personality, as real as if you could reach out your hand and touch them, even though you can't SEE anything?"

Yes, that's what I do. The details escape me, but I know "them" -- I don't NEED to know their physical face particulars. I can "feel" them. I know who they are.

[Tangent: I wonder if this will revive the "Hitler type" argument: He had such a grasp of details he could sketch large architectural structures to the smallest detail simply by viewing them in real life. It's hard to imagine someone as disturbed as him being balanced enough to be primarily an N, yet develop that sort of Se skill which would have likely been his inferior then. I can't buy that.]

It's weird, because this conversation happened because my dad just died on Sunday,

Nice way to sneak it in. :dry:

I'm so sorry. I hope that you are all doing okay and glad your family can be there for each other. :hug: There is probably no tangible way we can help, but we're here if you need people to talk to.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, that's what I do. The details escape me, but I know "them" -- I don't NEED to know their physical face particulars. I can "feel" them. I know who they are.

I've often thought it's why I connect so strongly and easily with historical people, because the fact that I never meet them or see them, never get any sensual connection with them doesn't matter and doesn't stop me from feeling that I'm 'with' them, if I can get their essence through their writing and/or studying their life and actions.

[Tangent: I wonder if this will revive the "Hitler type" argument: He had such a grasp of details he could sketch large architectural structures to the smallest detail simply by viewing them in real life. It's hard to imagine someone as disturbed as him being balanced enough to be primarily an N, yet develop that sort of Se skill which would have likely been his inferior then. I can't buy that.]

Not sure what you mean old bean, wouldn't mind expanding on that would you?

Nice way to sneak it in. :dry:

I'm so sorry. I hope that you are all doing okay and glad your family can be there for each other. :hug: There is probably no tangible way we can help, but we're here if you need people to talk to.

Don't worry, I'm alright at the moment. True to my type, I'm currently teaming up with my ENTJ sister and we're taking control of all the planning, details, legal stuff, while our less pro-active relatives (ESFJ mom, ENFP brother, ESFP and ENFJ sisters) are doing all the crying and escapism. We're also the only ones with the balls to go and see the dead body, having to keep going back to put more things in the coffin for people who can't bear to do it themselves. Right now I'm just too busy with all that, I can't really think about my feelings while I've got things to do and people to take care of. We'll probably fall apart ourselves at some point, when we've a window in our diaries for it ;)

I have written a bit on my blog about it though (he mentions, forlornly).

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I wonder if this applies to dreaming? Assuming you could remember your dreams. My husband tends to dream about things from his past, especially when it comes to nightmares. I, on the other hand, have really disjointed, end of the world dreams/ nightmares.
Yet dreams are different, because they are most likely not lucid. Instead your hubby probably has a great deal on his mind, which are usually fragmented thoughts carried over into his dreams. I would say this is most likely to occur with those preferring Ti as their dominant or auxilary. Ti types usually like internal order and make all attempts to preclude too much chaotic thoughts.

heart

heart on fire
So did I... I am constantly doing the "clothes patting" thing too (to check for wallet, keys, inhaler, and whatnot!) I do better when driving, because I focus more on it, but I can run routes in autopilot easily.

I get "purse panic", that is all of a sudden I wonder if I have left my purse somewhere and I have to grab it or if I intentionally left it in the trunk of the car I need to remind myself.

The year my mother first allowed me to carry a purse, I lost five of them in as many months. I am always losing my keys and other things.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yet dreams are different, because they are most likely not lucid. Instead your hubby probably has a great deal on his mind, which are usually fragmented thoughts carried over into his dreams. I would say this is most likely to occur with those preferring Ti as their dominant or auxilary. Ti types usually like internal order and make all attempts to preclude too much chaotic thoughts.

Is there any research on this, by any chance? I find it fascinating.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I get "purse panic", that is all of a sudden I wonder if I have left my purse somewhere and I have to grab it or if I intentionally left it in the trunk of the car I need to remind myself.

The year my mother first allowed me to carry a purse, I lost five of them in as many months. I am always losing my keys and other things.

I loose my stupid sunglasses every month or so, and I have to wear them because my eyes are extra sensitive to sunlight. And I do the clothes-patting thing too, often I have the feeling I forgot something and HAVE to check.

btw. I found that a good way to distinguish someone as S or N is to determine if they are into spectator sports, all the Ns I know either dont care for them at all or are only mildly interested in them, mostly because they also play that particular sport they are interested in. All the people I know that are really nuts about football and other sports and who know all the facts about them and who constanly have small-talk about them, are sensors.

Also, it might help to look at someone's car, if it looks like this:
celica1.jpg

you have found yourself an SP, though SJ are not as easily recognizable.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I would say that talk about spectator sports is a good indicator of S and N. Although some of the Ns I know also like race cars, but it's mostly for the crashes and stuff.

LadyInWaiting

MBTI Type
INFP
I love spectator sports (football is my absolute favorite, but I'm into sports in general). I've never participated in any. I am not myself athletic nor do I care for athletic people or that lifestyle. But I love sports. I know other Ns who love spectator sports.

I also don't think my love of sports has much to do with Sensing. I wouldn't say I know lots of "facts" about sports. I also don't care for bone-crushing hits, spectacular crashes or fights. I find all of that painfully distracting. I just know how the games are supposed to be played, and I can spot good strategy and bad strategy in every aspect of sports (even if it's a sport I have never seen before, it doesn't take me long to "get" it). However, I have often studied facts in detail if I was in the middle of solidifying an idea. And then I can use those facts when making an argument about strategy.

I love talking about sports, serious talk. Don't care for "rah rah" or shallow stuff. I can chat for hours in sports chat rooms, and I have thousands of posts in sports forums. So I think we need to scratch that criteria.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Everyone daydreams, because all types use all eight cognitive functions. Daydreaming about things that may never, or has yet to, occur takes Ni. Daydreaming about the past utilizes Si. You don't daydream with Ti and Fi because they are both action based cognitive functions. Instead, when in deep thought and analyzing a current problem Ti emerges, and when determining whether something fits into your value system you use Fi. All four functions may be misconceived as daydreaming, however only Ni and Si can be used for this type activity.
Ti and Fi action based?

Very odd.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
The difference between N and S is of intellectual variety.
It is the difference of the organization of intelligence.

The difference is seen in the first approach to any problem.

The S have their feet on the ground. They are proud of the fact and they tend to remind the N colleague that her feet are not on the ground.

The auditory context is linear but the visual/imaginary context is spatial.

A picture does not have a sequence. It is all there.

An S does not see a picture that way. He goes through the picture bit by bit.

Does he see the picture?

Edit: Unfortunately the majority of the NTs are highly conditioned.
It is the price to pay to fare well in an S school and environment.
Therefore the original N disposition is to be found only among the NFs.

The true intellectuals.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think that a liking for mainstream music has much to do with S or N. I mean, after all, music is music. Mainstream bands are just the ones who got lucky.

I do, however, think that Ns might prefer classical music because of what it tends to do with one's mind -- it's more abstract and requires a bit of personal interpretation. It more forcibly demands attention.

I think S types are more likely to sing along to songs because they're more in tune with what is more direct, but an N will probably be more appreciative of the overtones of music and the more background impressions, such as rhythm, tone, and melody, but not the actual words. They listen to music because it paints imagery in the mind, and requires more abstract, subjective interpretation.

The same thing happens when I'm watching a movie. I tend not to fully concentrate on the story, but more on the aesthetic overtones such as how the scene is put together for purposes of stimulating my own imagination. I have less concern with what's happening directly and I have to watch a movie several times to understand it.

Again, I get this sort of experience with either mainstream or indie films. A film for me is a more operatic experience.

I tend to enjoy mainstream films even more because I am appreciative of big-budget special effects. The subtleties of a digital character and the way an action sequence is done stimulates my mind and makes a film seem more poetic, but again, I have to watch the film more than once to take notice of the story, which is a more direct and concrete aspect of the film.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think that a liking for mainstream music has much to do with S or N. I mean, after all, music is music. Mainstream bands are just the ones who got lucky.

I do, however, think that Ns might prefer classical music because of what it tends to do with one's mind -- it's more abstract and requires a bit of personal interpretation. It more forcibly demands attention.

I think S types are more likely to sing along to songs because they're more in tune with what is more direct, but an N will probably be more appreciative of the overtones of music and the more background impressions, such as rhythm, tone, and melody, but not the actual words. They listen to music because it paints imagery in the mind, and requires more abstract, subjective interpretation.

The same thing happens when I'm watching a movie. I tend not to fully concentrate on the story, but more on the aesthetic overtones such as how the scene is put together for purposes of stimulating my own imagination. I have less concern with what's happening directly and I have to watch a movie several times to understand it.

Again, I get this sort of experience with either mainstream or indie films. A film for me is a more operatic experience.

I tend to enjoy mainstream films even more because I am appreciative of big-budget special effects. The subtleties of a digital character and the way an action sequence is done stimulates my mind and makes a film seem more poetic, but again, I have to watch the film more than once to take notice of the story, which is a more direct and concrete aspect of the film.
This is strange. You are the only one to admit you do not listen to the words in a song or do not see the story in the movie.