• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I've Figured it Out: Distinguishing Someone as S or N

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here is how you can narrow down the search by four types: sensors reflexively touch computer screens as part of an explanation, and this drives judging intuitives crazy.

People who touch anything of mine drive me crazy.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Here is how you can narrow down the search by four types: sensors reflexively touch computer screens as part of an explanation, and this drives judging intuitives crazy.
It drives me crazy as well...actually, I'll have to agree with what Uberfuhrer says. Sometimes I'm just sitting there when I let someone borrow my laptop smothering my urge to take it back...my computer. Mine.:dry:

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

Curiously I am the one who touches the screen to explain something (but only because I have to) and it drives my sensor-parents crazy.

Them: How can I do xyZ?
Me: It's easy, move X to Y and then do Z.
Them: How?
Me: OMG, move THIS *touches screen* over THERE *touches screen*.
Them: DONT TOUCH THE SCREEN! You'll make fingerprints on it.
Me: lol, what?

Usehername

On a mission
Curiously I am the one who touches the screen to explain something (but only because I have to) and it drives my sensor-parents crazy.

lol

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It's not really touching the screen that bothers me...that's why we have paper towels.

My nervousness comes from me lending my stuff to other people. There is no conclusive proof that I'll ever see that item again. And that makes me spiteful.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
It's not really touching the screen that bothers me...that's why we have paper towels.

My nervousness comes from me lending my stuff to other people. There is no conclusive proof that I'll ever see that item again. And that makes me spiteful.

I am the same way, I dont like people touching my things, ever, especially my computer. I think it's a control issue, often I dont really have any specific reason for it, only the strong feeling "I dont want you to touch this".

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Oh god that drives me insane. So does sitting at public computers--no one EVER wipes off those damn screens! I don't want to stare at a bunch of people's fingerprints and have to try to focus at the screen through all the smudges!

But as with some of you, I also don't like lending people things. I'm so paranoid that 1) I won't get it back quickly enough (as in...I want my stuff back about a couple hours after I've lent it...eventhough that is unreasonable) and 2) it won't look exactly the same as it was when I lent it.

I don't usually mind if someone touches my stuff, but if someone lays a hand on my computer, blinds (I don't know why, I just hate it when someone fusses with them), and anything on my desk/art table I go ballistic (things are carefully and nonchalantly organised and I swear I think that if someone moves something, its location is lost in my brain).

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
It's not really touching the screen that bothers

Yes. I've lost so many books this way. <shudder>

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
ISFJ Mother.

Daydreamed, daydreamed in possibilities, very shy and aware of what could happen. Definitely NOT an N. Couldn't follow my explanations nor my fathers for more than 5 minutes without getting lost. Not a common occurance before anyone starts.

Sorry but I'm with pt on this one.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISFJ Mother.

Daydreamed, daydreamed in possibilities, very shy and aware of what could happen. Definitely NOT an N. Couldn't follow my explanations nor my fathers for more than 5 minutes without getting lost. Not a common occurance before anyone starts.

Sorry but I'm with pt on this one.

I think this is a misconception of what "literal" and "figurative" means in connection with S/N dichotomies.

Taking things "literally" in terms of S is more like taking things at face value as they are. An N will take things "figuratively" by idealizing their environment (i.e. daydreaming).

Being literal in someone's words is very true of any strong IxxJ, since their natural tendency is to internalize their outer perceptions. ExxPs tend to be quicker in understanding. An IxxJ will often need a more detailed explanation of things.

A lot of this also has to do with what one is interested in. For example, an N could be completely lost at sea in a literature course if he/she is not interested in it. A lack of interest in something makes it difficult to understand, particularly for an IxxJ, since they find it difficult to broaden their interests.

When I read a fictional book, I have trouble understanding the meaning of the text until I read it over again once or twice. Since my N function is Introverted, it simply just takes more time for me to process. And if I'm not interested in something, then I'll often need a detailed explanation.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP

Not to mention getting their fingerprints all over my screen. Drives me nuts.

I'm the same with people touching my computer, or lending things. I don't like doing it.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I agree but I fail to see how you linked it to what I said. Still you got good points.

On the subject of literature my mother used to work in a library. She had to review some Cyberpunk/ Dark Future books for some committee or other. She gave up on the first page after much anguish. She couldn't understand nor get past the word 'plasticrete'. Definitely an S thing. Possibly just SJ but definitely S.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Very interesting replies from all of you on screen-touching -- I had just thrown out the temperament qualifications. Apparently, those who don't like it really don't like it.

Edit: I will note that my coworkers consist of an ESFP, an ISFP, an ISTJ and an ESFJ. Screens are touched.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
My wife, an ISFJ, has informed me that she never daydreams. She is very grounded in the here and now. I, however, still daydream a lot ... even at my advanced age.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
My wife, an ISFJ, has informed me that she never daydreams. She is very grounded in the here and now.

My ISTJ just told me he never day dreams. He observes the world around him, noticing things like how nice the sapplings look, or how the annuals need watering. He said it's what keeps him grounded.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree but I fail to see how you linked it to what I said. Still you got good points.

On the subject of literature my mother used to work in a library. She had to review some Cyberpunk/ Dark Future books for some committee or other. She gave up on the first page after much anguish. She couldn't understand nor get past the word 'plasticrete'. Definitely an S thing. Possibly just SJ but definitely S.

What you seem to be saying is that she obsesses about minor, unimportant details. Yeah, in of itself, that's an S thing, but what you're saying seems to be more stress-related, in which case leads INxJs to use their inferior Se function in an unproductive way -- such as obsessing about a word.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
My ISFJ friend has told me she's frequently unaware of what's happening around her because she's daydreaming. I've never asked her what she daydreams about.

The S/N difference is the most confusing to me. The more I get to know a person, the blurrier it becomes. Sometimes it's obvious if a person's a S or N (there's a gaggle of SFJs in my office and it comes off them in waves) but when I speak to them individually I wonder if it's one or two dominant SFJs creating the climate for this group. Individually they tend to be more moderate and open-minded, but when they get together...just smile and agree.

As far as interacting with the natural world, sometimes I go for walks and I notice the sunlight and water and I wonder why I don't do that more often. Dirt is the stuff that catches me most by surprise. I like dirt, but only clean dirt not dirty dirt. (Think potting soil or something like that :) ).

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
What you seem to be saying is that she obsesses about minor, unimportant details. Yeah, in of itself, that's an S thing, but what you're saying seems to be more stress-related, in which case leads INxJs to use their inferior Se function in an unproductive way -- such as obsessing about a word.
Well essentially yes but I was more pointing to the inability to divide the word plasticrete into two words plastic and concrete and then get her to accept that it's just a combination of the two. For some reason this did not sink in.

I wonder if Ss tend to enjoy science fiction which either is based in the past or has explained technology where as Ns would enjoy the concepts developed in these stories which are new to them?

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
I spoke with my husband (ISTP) about this pretty recently as I came to a conclusion like this. I spend plenty of time daydreaming so much so that it makes me appear 'forgetful'. I was shocked to discover that he does way more daydreaming then I assumed. I was surprised that most of his daydreams have a 'vigilante' tone too. The example he gave was that we have a drug house down the road from us that lures some very young people. In the year we have been here we have seen kids (15-17) that were pretty normal turn into meth addicts. The police although at that house often have been unable to shut it down. We don't have 'deep' discussions that much so when he opened up I was intrigued. I didn't stop him when he started telling me in detail what he daydreamed about doing to stop it himself. After he finished though I tried not to give it away he could tell he caught me off guard! I told him what I would do instead of that and it turned into a great talk. I am not sure if the daydreaming factor is the best way to draw a conclusion on S/N but I will test it more.

Shimpei

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
I used to daydream a lot, now I daydream only before falling asleep. These are typical female daydreams (e.g. romantic ones).
Otherwise I'd rather plunge into observing my environment instead of daydreaming.

Edit: to Xander - I don't like science-fiction at all except those based in the past.