• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Behaviorism and Functions

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Observed relationships between behaviors and functions, well, my viewpoint at least:

Convergent Perception - Tendency for perception to converge on a singular point, or from point to smaller point within larger point. Associated with predatory vision and hearing.
Divergent Perception - Tendency for perception to diverge from singular point to nondescript, peripheral, or unfocused state. Associated with anti-predatory, or prey, vision and hearing.
Movement Response - Movement towards or away from food sources or predators; fight or flight
Signal Response - Signals inability of movement control in presence of loss of food sources or predators; cries for help, signal of inability to change Movement Response

Sensing, Intuition, Thinking, and Feeling, respectively.

Annaifiwas

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Divergent Perception - Tendency for perception to diverge from singular point to nondescript, peripheral, or unfocused state. Associated with anti-predatory, or prey, vision and hearing.
Movement Response - Movement towards or away from food sources or predators; fight or flight.

I couldn't agree more with you on these two points.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I couldn't agree more with you on these two points.

If you have the wherewithal for it, you should be able to practice going from a default divergent perception state, to convergent perception more, to default convergent perception state. E.g., my eyes generally are in a neutral position that allows equal perception from peripheral to center, but walking around and converging my vision on objects and finer details in the objects, leads me to become more Sensory in all behaviors.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Extroversion being "doing" and Introversion being "considering," we thus can cause the following examples:

Consideration of Signal Responses with secondary Divergent Perception; other members of tribe's crying or yelling in fear being considered with subsequent perception of nearby predators; Introverted Feeling with Extroverted Intuition

Convergent Perception with secondary consideration of Movement Response; predatory perception of food source and secondary consideration of movements compared to food source (hunt & chase); Extroverted Sensing with Introverted Thinking

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
More of an evolutionary psych perspective than behaviorism methinks? I don't know that behaviorism could ever be connected with the functions because behaviorism holds the mind and cognition to be unknowable. It is behaviorism that led to the rejection of Jungian type, and then MBTI, in favor of the Big 5, which rejects cognitive functions in favor of observable personality behaviors.

I do think you are on to something here. Particularly with convergent/divergent perception.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
More of an evolutionary psych perspective than behaviorism methinks? I don't know that behaviorism could ever be connected with the functions because behaviorism holds the mind and cognition to be unknowable. It is behaviorism that led to the rejection of Jungian type, and then MBTI, in favor of the Big 5, which rejects cognitive functions in favor of observable personality behaviors.

I do think you are on to something here. Particularly with convergent/divergent perception.

It wouldn't be evolutionary psych, because it is dependent upon environment, first and foremost. If a person with scarce resources is moved to a place with abundant resources (e.g. Food), then the behaviors will change to reflect such.

I had stopped my formal thought after the perception ones, so didn't manage to come up with clearer distinctions for the T/F side. But my mindset is such: Bunch of small rabbits in the face of a wolf... One rabbit notices and cries... Other rabbits pick up on this and all cry...various levels of F. Wolf sees prey with predator vision and moves to attack. So, still no formal thought, but left with those who make emotional displays for primal reasons and those who notice, and those who move towards such (causing the former) and those who notice. Make sense, sorta?

More versed in Socionics, where I am consciously Fi->Ne->Ti->Se, which places me as paying attention to the various emotional stuff of people around me, looking for the "predator" of the situation, paying attention to the movements of those involved, and looking at the root of who to "attack", which then goes in reverse to the emotional stuff of people around me being "okay" as a whole.