• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are thinkers naturally competitive?

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find that I basically have to turn things into a game or an experiment in order to gain interest. If it's not lucrative in terms of enjoyment, then I simply don't see enough value. I would rather not exist than live a fruitless existence.
Any experiences for or against this idea?

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Nah, I'm not really competitive

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm competitive. IMO, you sound more like an INFP than an INTP. INTP's aren't as goal oriented as INFP's ime.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm competitive. IMO, you sound more like an INFP than an INTP. INTP's aren't as goal oriented as INFP's ime.

Based on this particular post, or are there other things that lead you to that? I don't know if I really consider this or what I occupy with myself "goals" though. :shrug: I certainly don't think of them that way as they arise, it's just whatever's enjoyable or worthwhile. <- Wow, evaluating the worth of something, such Fi. I've considered INFP plenty, as a close contender to INTP. My understanding of Ti and Fi are quite blurred, as Ji basically stands out as making decisions based on one's personal notions and understandings. However, I don't really "get feelings." It could be postulated that my Fi is so inherent/natural at this point that I don't notice these things. As far as I can tell though, the way that I go about things and how I conceive of them, what attracts me, is all quite Ti-oriented. I've only had descriptions of INTP, INTj, ENTP, and ENTp be spot on enough. :shrug:

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, this may be way too highly based on stereotype. But due to my categorizations of the types and how I view them based on functional stackings and descriptions creating certain images/characters in my mind, and some people I know with likely accurate typings, my entire understanding would become f*cked if I were actually a different type. That's practically unthinkable for me, since I usually am able to assess people accurately and then their viewpoints and actions follow through from there. If my understanding of the system is wrong in such a major respect as myself, (since I introvert first, looking inwards, draw conclusions there and then project it outwards and apply the system to external things) I wouldn't know much of what to do with it anymore. Basically, if I'm not INTP, in all the strange things I do and conceive of that I believe fit the stack, then I don't even want to know what an actual INTP is like... Must be horrid, or something.

Mole

Permabanned
I find that I basically have to turn things into a game or an experiment in order to gain interest. If it's not lucrative in terms of enjoyment, then I simply don't see enough value. I would rather not exist than live a fruitless existence.

It is an interesting question. And the question has been asked of me, would I prefer to be right, or would I like to make friends?

And I am afraid I have been too concerned with being right, and not enough with making friends.

Being right leaves me lonely, while making friends warms me, warms my whole body and my heart.

So I really need a change of heart. I need to see what being right does to others. For me it's like a survival mechanism while for other it is rejection.

Of course sometimes I need to be right, but not very often.

I am entranced by integrity and originality, but I think I need to wake up to empathy and creativity.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is an interesting question. And the question has been asked of me, would I prefer to be right, or would I like to make friends?

And I am afraid I have been too concerned with being right, and not enough with making friends.

Being right leaves me lonely, while making friends warms me, warms my whole body and my heart.

So I really need a change of heart. I need to see what being right does to others. For me it's like a survival mechanism while for other it is rejection.

Of course sometimes I need to be right, but not very often.

I am entranced by integrity and originality, but I think I need to wake up to empathy and creativity.

Yeah, I find that I won't really compromise truth in 95% of situations. Nicely written! How are you differentiating originality and creativity?

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member

Can relate to this. Will often make games of things or view my actions as 'experiments' with data to be gathered.

Pros: motivates, allows for variety of rich experiences, almost always having fun or getting a kick out of most situations I am in.

Cons: Sometimes keeps me from being IN the moment. Still working on balance re: insatiable desire for more!! and being content with what currently exists.

Contrary to other personal imperfections I find more frustrating to address > this is fun to contemplate and tweak ;)

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not connected to type. I also happen to be very competitive.

Can relate to this. Will often make games of things or view my actions as 'experiments' with data to be gathered.

Pros: motivates, allows for variety of rich experiences, almost always having fun or getting a kick out of most situations I am in.

Cons: Sometimes keeps me from being IN the moment. Still working on balance re: insatiable desire for more!! and being content with what currently exists.

Contrary to other personal imperfections I find more frustrating to address > this is fun to contemplate and tweak ;)

Well, it seems like the INFPs seem to share my view of this "game" or "competition." I would guess that saying "competitive" is too general, but needs to be defined in differentiating ways.

So I guess it could be that I'm INFP, or that there are vast similarities in the INxP view. I already view INxP as very similar, as it is.

In fact, what I may be trying to define may be more particular to the two types. It could be explained by their propensity to experiment (secondary Ne), but guided first by their internal decision making Ji. So because they're the types that lead with Ji but are also stuck in constant planning of possible courses, that makes them basically what I'm trying to describe.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not competitive in the same sense as an ESTP might be.

I tend to approach situations with a strategic mindset quite often.

I would say that I am very competitive with myself, trying to experiment with doing tasks and jobs in different manners to give myself a challenge and keep things from becoming boring and rote.

Not sure how T/F related this is, just based on my own experience. Usually my esfj dad was highly competitive in shit like board game night while I was more meh about it.

Sorry would have typed a longer response but using my phone at the moment

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Iam not competitive with anyone but myself. I strive to be better then i was. :shrug:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Answer to pretty much every question that is constructed on "Which type(s) .... ?" basis has only one rational answer.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm definitely a statistic in this case. The only time I come all the way out of my "shell" is when there's a competition involved.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFP girlfriend is more competitive then i am. Gives her a goal, she has more issues with open endedness.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I definitely think the thinking function has something to do with it, or at least how competitiveness is expressed. Specifically when it comes to Extroverted Thinking, no matter where it is on your function stack, it shines through with this want to prove yourself compared to others. Whether that is one of your striving points (ExTJs and Type 3s), it's something you see as par for the course (IxTJs and Type 8s), it helps make things more exciting (ExFPs and Type 7s) or it repels you because you want that but feel unable to act on it (IxFPs and Type 4s).

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not competitive in the same sense as an ESTP might be.

I tend to approach situations with a strategic mindset quite often.

I would say that I am very competitive with myself, trying to experiment with doing tasks and jobs in different manners to give myself a challenge and keep things from becoming boring and rote.

Not sure how T/F related this is, just based on my own experience. Usually my esfj dad was highly competitive in shit like board game night while I was more meh about it.

Sorry would have typed a longer response but using my phone at the moment

Exactly the same. It does not require others. But I definitely require strategy and critical thinking, otherwise I just get depressed. I don't necessarily prefer to compete with others, but I find that it's an easy outlet when it comes to online gaming - a huge one for me.

After reading all the posts - I must conclude that Ti valuing needs to appear competent by progressing one's mental assets and ways of understanding/viewing (I guess, my understanding of Ti). Singularly competent. And Te valuing is more concerned with appearing competent by out-valuing others. Relatively competent. The thinking is instead outwardly projected.