• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] What is your method for typing people?

Personality Analyst

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've noticed many people have their own unique way of typing others. So what are your methods for typing IRL by cognitive functions? Do you focus on certain dimensions and indicators, then do a process of elimination? Do you cross-reference other typology systems and then draw parallels with Cognitive Functions? etc...

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Sadly, the easiest and often used method I use is intuitive, unconscious stereotype fitting. My stereotypes are pretty developed but they are still just that.

A more conscious method is studying their behavior, speech and actions in attempt to rate all their function preferences.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I didn't know MBTI in details (I'm still improving of course!:gleam:) I was focusing on words, body language mainly.

I still use that "method" which is actually not a method ! I call it intuition, feeling, observation, paying attention to details that put you on the right path.

First of all it is obvious to me if the person is extrovert or introvert. Then I observe his/her sensitivity, does that person wants to seem logical,

does he/she focus on intelligence, feelings, action ? Afterwards I focus on enneagramm. Then I'm back to MBTI.

When I am at the level of analyse and observation I must have found the right type at 90 per cent to be honest.

I think I am aware of the type of most people around me, which clearly helps me to understand them and/or avoid falling inter ego trap (or crap) !

I try now not to do the same mistakes again : for example, choose a partner that will not suit my own type/personality,

fight with the same types again and again, and so on...

Of course two persons that belong to the same type can be totally different on many aspects. But let's go to the essential : it avoids me to loose my time

when I must save my energies (so MBTI is a very efficient "short cut" guide).

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've noticed many people have their own unique way of typing others. So what are your methods for typing IRL by cognitive functions? Do you focus on certain dimensions and indicators, then do a process of elimination? Do you cross-reference other typology systems and then draw parallels with Cognitive Functions? etc...

hands-typing-on-classic-typewriter-o.jpg

^Simply type the correct keys

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Intuition and vibes only. Some people it jumps right out at me, and others I can't ever really figure out no matter how well I know them. I try not to force a guess if it doesn't come to me.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Flow and whys of the person. I dont generally try and figure out though. Usually it just hits me over time.

Personality Analyst

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sadly, the easiest and often used method I use is intuitive, unconscious stereotype fitting. My stereotypes are pretty developed but they are still just that.

A more conscious method is studying their behavior, speech and actions in attempt to rate all their function preferences.

At least you're aware of possible biases and trying to refine them. Going about typing this way seems to be the trend from what I've noticed, especially since we don't really have a way to quantify personality dimensions precisely and in a purely objective manner. How do you go refining your method, do you ask probing questions with the person after you makes some hypotheses or something else?

When I didn't know MBTI in details (I'm still improving of course!:gleam:) I was focusing on words, body language mainly.

I still use that "method" which is actually not a method ! I call it intuition, feeling, observation, paying attention to details that put you on the right path.

First of all it is obvious to me if the person is extrovert or introvert. Then I observe his/her sensitivity, does that person wants to seem logical,

does he/she focus on intelligence, feelings, action ? Afterwards I focus on enneagramm. Then I'm back to MBTI.

When I am at the level of analyse and observation I must have found the right type at 90 per cent to be honest.

I think I am aware of the type of most people around me, which clearly helps me to understand them and/or avoid falling inter ego trap (or crap) !

I try now not to do the same mistakes again : for example, choose a partner that will not suit my own type/personality,

fight with the same types again and again, and so on...

Of course two persons that belong to the same type can be totally different on many aspects. But let's go to the essential : it avoids me to loose my time

when I must save my energies (so MBTI is a very efficient "short cut" guide).

My approach is similar though maybe not necessarily as oriented around sensory details and less conscious. Though I'm curious, what do you focus on for typing enneagram types?

Flow and whys of the person. I dont generally try and figure out though. Usually it just hits me over time.

Same. I'm not good at typing on the spot, usually overtime the dots connect in my head to get at a certain type.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
observing and getting to know them. applying my knowledge of typology and functions.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

My approach is similar though maybe not necessarily as oriented around sensory details and less conscious.

Don't worry. You're still worth 10 thousand men :newwink:

Though I'm curious, what do you focus on for typing enneagram types?

I generally like INTJ curiosity :happy2: Even if those I know become quite/very sceptical (probably because they only trust their own brain

and on some points I can understand them...)

I have an enneagram certificate delivered in 2007 and I'm really passionate about it. I have 15 books at home about Enneagramm,

just to give you some idea of my interest. I've travelled to go to some seminars, most are abroad, and I have met some (famous) teachers

all devoted to human well-being and self-development.

I focus on exactly the same details as I do for mbti types : Is that person a feeling person ? an instinct/gut person ? a brain person ?

I focus on body language, the way they speak, what they are saying, are they expressing fears, hiding fears ?

Is their energy directed outward or inward ? What are they focusing on ?

Now, you ! Are you looking for tools to type people ? Who do you wanna type (work-colleagues- ? Family ? friends ? strangers ?) ?

Why ? Is that to protect yourself, to help them, to choose the right persons in your life and avoid eventual mistakes (whether at work or in your intimate life) ?

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I use observation, then I analyze their behavior and whether it fits into a certain pattern. After that I can type them with accuracy.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Trying to get over this, but I go by stereotyping them. :\

Personality Analyst

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't worry. You're still worth 10 thousand men :newwink:

Thank you for complementing me with my signature :)

I generally like INTJ curiosity :happy2: Even if those I know become quite/very sceptical (probably because they only trust their own brain

and on some points I can understand them...)

Guilty as charged (though it varies depending on the topic of discussion and its level of importance).

I have an enneagram certificate delivered in 2007 and I'm really passionate about it. I have 15 books at home about Enneagram,

just to give you some idea of my interest. I've travelled to go to some seminars, most are abroad, and I have met some (famous) teachers

all devoted to human well-being and self-development.

I focus on exactly the same details as I do for mbti types : Is that person a feeling person ? an instinct/gut person ? a brain person ?

I focus on body language, the way they speak, what they are saying, are they expressing fears, hiding fears ?

Is their energy directed outward or inward ? What are they focusing on ?

Very Interesting. Yes, I find using those cues to identify the enneagram centers do help in narrowing down the type even more in contrast to the Keirsey temperaments. So have you met Claudio Naranjo and Sandra Maitri? (Btw, your bolded sentence reminds me of Tony Robbins, who I've typed as an ESFP also and is one of my favorite motivational speakers).

Now, you ! Are you looking for tools to type people ? Who do you wanna type (work-colleagues- ? Family ? friends ? strangers ?) ?

My Typing Method: Observe the person over a long period of time, mainly the content of their thoughts and how their energy manifests (mainly get hunches from these), and later on recurrent behavior. As I observe things I make hypotheses in my head, and cross-reference them with MBTI, Enneagram, FIRO-B, Big Five Factor, and other stuff (Beren's interaction styles, Hofstede's cultural dimensions to isolate possible cultural influences, etc...).

Not necessarily looking for tools as to just wanting to spark a discussion on typing methods as well as comparing and contrasting. I'm really into social sciences, and personality theory is one of my favorite topics. I mainly type colleagues, friends, and family. Strangers are a bit difficult unless they're very extreme on the type dimensions.

Why ? Is that to protect yourself, to help them, to choose the right persons in your life and avoid eventual mistakes (whether at work or in your intimate life) ?

Pure interest in personalities and how people perceive each other. What made it so fascinating to me was the complexity of human nature, and my severe lack of understanding about it in the past drove me towards personality theory. I do use this knowledge in what you've written and it has enhanced my life greatly, they're secondary to my interest in the theory but pretty strong also.

Personality Analyst

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Trying to get over this, but I go by stereotyping them. :\

We're all prone to it. Human cognition is full of subjective biases and errors so I don't think anybody can fully get over it. However, research shows that when training people who are to evaluate others (mainly in workplace settings) on these biases and how they impact judgment, evaluation accuracy improves greatly. So you're ahead of most people just by being aware of it.[/QUOTE]

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do a few things. First, I have noticed a pattern for each of the 16 types and how they tend to interact with others. I compare the person to that pattern. The second thing is I look for evidence of them using certain cognitive functions by what they say. I also use the visual cognitive functions thing a little. For example ENFPs and INFPs have a certain expressiveness in their eyes. Ni doms have a certain thing going on with their eyes too. Here is an example of somebody who is using Ne.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Identify patterns in sentence structure. Picture choice, word choice. It just gets very much of a vibe, as in a clarity of thought.

Ni Dom eyes have been very difficult to find for me as of late. I have met a few Ne and sense of a very different personality than of mine.

Although I am really interested in knowing Fe/Ti because as of recent I found an interesting description of Te/Fi where it was clear to me that I prefer them. I believe I can now see what is authentic Te and what is stereotypical Te. Sometimes it helps after you read other things, you can look at something else, even words and you can understand them differently.

I feel when I attempt Fe it feels very off for me and people know that it isn't natural although if that's all I can focus on I can manipulate the environment although it comes very unnatural to me but possible with high concentration which means it cannot be my auxiliary function.

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Vibes, usually. Most of the time, they turn out to be right, but I'd rather not push my opinions on others unless if they asked for it, or external information proves my point.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We're all prone to it. Human cognition is full of subjective biases and errors so I don't think anybody can fully get over it. However, research shows that when training people who are to evaluate others (mainly in workplace settings) on these biases and how they impact judgment, evaluation accuracy improves greatly. So you're ahead of most people just by being aware of it.

Thank you so much. I must ask, how does one try to decipher another person's cognitive functions based on looks and behaviors alone? For me, trying to figure out someone's thought sequence has proven to be my greatest challenge simply because I cannot be inside their heads and know what they go through every second of the day.

Personality Analyst

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION], how do you go about using the visual cognitive thing in typing? Do you focus on certain visual aspects or anything goes? Do you infer them in isolation or together holistically?

In my experience, it hasn't been very helpful in inferring cognitive function use. The only thing I found consistent in my experience is Se vs. Si. Se-users have a sharpness and intensity in their gaze, while Si-users have a much softer gaze in comparison.

Thank you so much. I must ask, how does one try to decipher another person's cognitive functions based on looks and behaviors alone? For me, trying to figure out someone's thought sequence has proven to be my greatest challenge simply because I cannot be inside their heads and know what they go through every second of the day.

I'm not sure about it either hence why I don't refer to it too much (I asked highlander above, maybe he can give a different perspective). I usually analyze more the content of their thoughts and the energy they give off, not necessarily tying it sensory cues. I don't think you need to be with them all the time, usually seeing them in a few different settings (work, relaxation and fun, etc...) and with discussion it can be made apparent.

I find these tumblr blogs really good on talking about functions: What's my MBTI? & MBTI Notes. Also this article compiling Lenore Thomson's explanations: Socionics - the16types.info - Lenore Thomson's MBTI Wiki Explanation of Functions

Last edited:

iauiugu

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I've accepted the fact that I am generally bad at typing people and therefore put little stock in what i come up with, but otherwise use random jungian type sub-systems

I find those who are more prone to asserting opinions or beliefs to be judgers, while those who i envy for their ease in making less black-or-white comments to be perceivers
Unless one is exceptionally introverted or extroverted I rarely notice a difference
INTJs tend to jump out at me since I am partnered with one and am generally attracted to them, conversationally at minimum
I find Se-doms tend to have particularly 'open'-looking eyes and have this vibe of heightened awareness of the world around them that is foreign to me
Based on youtuber Michael Peirce's description of jcf axes I try to note those less inclined towards categorical systems and more about the grand unconfinable complexity of humanity to be Te-Fi inclined, versus not

Mostly if i am interested in typing someone i bring up the subject and go through with them certain typological ideas. Like when I explained Fi to a friend (who we decided is probably an INFP) it was clear on her face how much she resonated with the description of someone whose value system is highly articulated internally despite their rare overt assertions of right/wrong//good/bad towards others. so now I resist trusting my reads until i run them by people.