• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intuition as it's seen in engineering

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm sensory leaning and I work in a pretty techy field. A lot of my coworkers are much more intuitive than me and are also probably much better at what they do than I am because they're able to think their way through a problem in a more abstract manner,

Can you provide an example?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Usually, they are going down to lower levels and operating their instead of on the surface level; e.g., approaching a task from a base physics approach rather than from the immediate issue.

Make any sense?
I thought the intuitive one is operating at a higher level than ideal, and making up the details as he goes

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I thought the intuitive one is operating at a higher level than ideal, and making up the details as he goes

Well, take for instance a situation of something being broken. You could just fix the thing at face-value, or you could go into basic principles to find the solution to why it broke. Although this is a "higher level" of thinking, it is really going down to the level underlying the issue.

When designing a new system, you first break apart the structures of an existing system to find weak links, then you design the new system with the weak links replaced by stronger links, even if the individual weak links are replaced by multiple links that together form a stronger link.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For a visual representation, when all the red looking framework stuff goes into the sky, this is the deconstruction into the constituent parts, and when it collapses back down is the reconstitution or reconstruction back into a new whole.

Make sense?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't know if computer science is classified as engineering (some may say yes others no), but intuitive thinking is often looked kindly upon. In fact CS itself is sometimes described as the art of problem solving.
A boss in my recent workplace called us programmers engineers. Most of us had an engineering degree in CS

edit: oh wait, it's Master's in English. But the Finnish word for that education includes the title "engineer".

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
From now on I'll say that CS is witchcraft and not engineering because I prefer that our users regard me as a wizard, rather than engineer :D

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
CS -> Witchcraft is a substitution Randall Munroe would approve of
substitutions.png

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
haha very funny. I'd totally forgotten about xkcd.

lolz
Xkcd_philosophy.png