• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How To Find Out Whether You Are Introvert vs Extrovert

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Undoubtedly the most frustrating part of discovering the Myers Briggs Theory is whether one is an extrovert or an introvert based on reading the various profiles of the personality types. Society has colored our views of what makes a person extrovert, and what makes a person an introvert. Images of the shy bookworm or the weird geek is pinned on the introvert label, unfairly causing many people to either doubt themselves or try and force themselves away from it by trying to become more social, and failing. With extrovert, people immediately imagine the party animal, the person who seems to know exactly what to say, and is charismatic with everybody they meet.

The point is, there is no such thing as the ideal introvert or an extrovert, and the MBTI stresses on some sources that we are all a different variety of these two extremes. The ISFJ type, for example, has made some people ponder that they seem very talkative and outgoing despite supposedly being an introverted type, and in other places, the ENFP and even the ENTP types are regarded as the most reserved extroverts out of the other extroverts in the MBTI. Many people are then, mistyped, either from their own doing, or asking others who are also confused on the introvert vs extrovert dynamic.

I hope, for some people, that this thread can help in deciphering where you fall in that first letter of your type. So, the most important aspect to remember is this: The first letter is literally how you conserve energy and how you expend it.

energy.jpg

The terms Extravert and Introvert are used in a different sense when discussing the Myers-Briggs Type IndicatorI®. Here Extravert and Introvert refer to where people focus their attention in order to get their energy – either the OUTER or INNER world. This innate and inborn preference has an important role in personality development and plays an important part in determing a person's dominant function.
[Source]

If talking to your friends, your coworkers, your family members, strangers, the deli guy, the florist lady, whomever it is, gives you an elated feeling that keeps climbing the more people you talk to, and you can do this all day without much issue, this may point to you being an extrovert. Now, it is also highly possible that you can also be a shy extrovert; the difference between that, and a true introvert, is that the extrovert has a strong urge to speak with other people and enjoy being out there with everybody else, but cannot due to their shyness. The introvert, on the other hand, whether they are shy or not, although they enjoy socializing and desiring relationships with others, become drained by repeated exposures of socializing and being outside of their heads and need to be alone to recharge. That's the biggest and main difference.

If you find joy of being inside your head, living in your own inner world of imagination, thoughts, and emotions, getting time alone in your office or in the bedroom, and daily life of chatty strangers and being outside gives you sensory overload, you might be an introvert. It is also possible to be this absolutely charming, charismatic, outgoing introvert whom most people in town know and love. It is possible to be an introvert and have hundreds of Facebook friends. It is possible and in the end, it doesn't make you an extrovert. Again, it is mainly an energy thing. You can be a great conversationalist, but if the prospect of hanging out with your dear friends for more than a couple of days gives you a miniature panic attack and dreaming up of an escape plan, then you are an introvert. And there's nothing wrong with that.

This thread is made because a lot of folks here are confused about this part the most and I totally get it. It's maddening, isn't it? But, hopefully this may be of help to some. And do remember that this is not an extreme black and white situation: Some introverts can socialize and stay out for days at a time, and there are some extroverts who enjoy time alone. It is a continuum, if you can imagine it. The question you must ask yourself is this: Does time alone help me recharge my batteries and I can then get back out there again, or does it drain me and I need to be with others in order to feel alive again? That's all you should really be asking yourself.

Till then! :cuppajoe:

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Well, it's maybe worth noting that Jung certainly didn't believe in "shy extraverts" and "outgoing introverts." Here's how he viewed them:

[Extraverts and introverts] are so different and present such a striking contrast that their existence becomes quite obvious even to the layman once it has been pointed out. Everyone knows those reserved, inscrutable, rather shy people who form the strongest possible contrast to the open, sociable, jovial, or at least friendly and approachable characters who are on good terms with everybody, or quarrel with everybody, but always relate to them in some way and in turn are affected by them.​

Jung believed that extraversion and introversion were products of evolution, and had evolved to produce two contrasting sets of behaviors, with introverts hardwired to have "a hesitant, reflective, retiring nature that keeps itself to itself, shrinks from objects, is always slightly on the defensive and prefers to hide behind mistrustful scrutiny"; and extraverts hardwired to have "an outgoing, candid, and accommodating nature that adapts easily to a given situation, quickly forms attachments, and ... will often venture forth with careless confidence into unknown situations."

Jung viewed extraversion/introversion as the most fundamental division underlying his types, and spent more of Psychological Types talking about the personality characteristics he thought extraverts tended to have in common and introverts tended to have in common than he spent talking about all eight of the functions put together.

And it's true that Jung assigned too many aspects of personality to E/I, but he was right to view E/I as a multifaceted dimension, and Myers also recognized that — and any MBTI source that tells you that E/I is basically just about where you get your energy, man is an MBTI source you should cross off your list.

For a longer introduction to E/I that does more justice to its multifacetedness, see this post.

And if you want to read the descriptions of the five E/I "facets" in the Step II version of the MBTI (from the Step II Manual), you can find those in this PerC post.

As a final note: the concept of extraversion basically originated with Jung, and he spelled it "extraversion"; and so did Myers; and so should you.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think this is actually fluid and parhaps the most fluid component in the whole system. Alot depends upon the culture, people you meet (and are they fiting in your life), do you have major traumas or medical problems ... etc. If you look reality there is no reason to believe that I/E is something completely static trought the life of average person. In a way it can be said that you have a really boring life if you always test exacly the same. :cool:

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is why I like that there's subtypes in socionics.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
So an introvert that gets her energy from a cup of coffee or a line of coke is really an extrovert since these things exist in the outer world?

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, it's maybe worth noting that Jung certainly didn't believe in "shy extraverts" and "outgoing introverts."

You're right, although those people do exist in the real world sometimes. I've known them in my life before.

Here's how he viewed them:

[Extraverts and introverts] are so different and present such a striking contrast that their existence becomes quite obvious even to the layman once it has been pointed out. Everyone knows those reserved, inscrutable, rather shy people who form the strongest possible contrast to the open, sociable, jovial, or at least friendly and approachable characters who are on good terms with everybody, or quarrel with everybody, but always relate to them in some way and in turn are affected by them.​

Do you agree with that?

Jung believed that extraversion and introversion were products of evolution, and had evolved to produce two contrasting sets of behaviors, with introverts hardwired to have "a hesitant, reflective, retiring nature that keeps itself to itself, shrinks from objects, is always slightly on the defensive and prefers to hide behind mistrustful scrutiny"; and extraverts hardwired to have "an outgoing, candid, and accommodating nature that adapts easily to a given situation, quickly forms attachments, and ... will often venture forth with careless confidence into unknown situations."

Jung believed a lot of things, I think theories can also evolve as new information comes in. I of course, do agree that introverts are more cautious and hesitant to most things in life in contrast to extroverts, but shyness shouldn't be an indicator to where someone leans.

Jung viewed extraversion/introversion as the most fundamental division underlying his types, and spent more of Psychological Types talking about the personality characteristics he thought extraverts tended to have in common and introverts tended to have in common than he spent talking about all eight of the functions put together.

And it's true that Jung assigned too many aspects of personality to E/I, but he was right to view E/I as a multifaceted dimension, and Myers also recognized that — and any MBTI source that tells you that E/I is basically just about where you get your energy, man is an MBTI source you should cross off your list.

Its not like I'm making this kind of thing up. Energy is a good aspect to look for if for some reason somebody is doubting whether they are E or I. Introverts are overwhelmed by daily life, extroverts thrive in it. This is something observed in humans.

For a longer introduction to E/I that does more justice to its multifacetedness, see this post.

And if you want to read the descriptions of the five E/I "facets" in the Step II version of the MBTI (from the Step II Manual), you can find those in this PerC post.

As a final note: the concept of extraversion basically originated with Jung, and he spelled it "extraversion"; and so did Myers; and so should you.

:hippie: Stay chill, man.

I think this is actually fluid and parhaps the most fluid component in the whole system. Alot depends upon the culture, people you meet (and are they fiting in your life), do you have major traumas or medical problems ... etc. If you look reality there is no reason to believe that I/E is something completely static trought the life of average person. In a way it can be said that you have a really boring life if you always test exacly the same. :cool:

Maybe social openness can drastically change due to aging and life circumstances. I know I read somewhere that people become more introverted the older they become, I think.

This is why I like that there's subtypes in socionics.

Same here! It definitely delves deeper and recognizes the shades of grey between each and every person.

So an introvert that gets her energy from a cup of coffee or a line of coke is really an extrovert since these things exist in the outer world?

I know I can't always enjoy a cup of coffee since I get the jitters, no matter how tasty. No comment on the coke. :D

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I know I can't always enjoy a cup of coffee since I get the jitters, no matter how tasty. No comment on the coke. :D

I know the question was a bit of a joke, but the point behind it is valid. What is your response to it?

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know the question was a bit of a joke, but the point behind it is valid. What is your response to it?

I would think that energy that comes from a physical object would be different than the kind of energy one gets from engaging with the outer world vs their inner world. And yes, I do think that E/I is also more than just energy in versus out, and I do wonder if perhaps I have angered some by not putting that in my OP.

(sorry if i'm typing weird, its 4am here and i cannot sleep)

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would think that energy that comes from a physical object would be different than the kind of energy one gets from engaging with the outer world vs their inner world. And yes, I do think that E/I is also more than just energy in versus out, and I do wonder if perhaps I have angered some by not putting that in my OP.

(sorry if i'm typing weird, its 4am here and i cannot sleep)

To add on, I do think it's different. To snort a line of coke or getting an energy boost from coffee is a physiological process. Just like eating food. Everyone eats food to survive.

So if they eat food to survive, that means you get energy from the outside world, making you an extrovert? /eyeroll/

With that being said, since this is personality types we're talking about, I would think it has to do with mental processes. I read somewhere (I read too many things back when I was super interested in this) that extroverts have lesser brainwave activity, causing them to seek outer objects or experiences to interact with, so as to "stimulate" their brain. Introverts are the opposite, they have a lot of brainwave activity, that too much external stimuli will "short circuit" their brain, causing them to retract and seek solitude.

Don't quote me on this, I might be wrong, and I'm more than happy to be corrected.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To add on, I do think it's different. To snort a line of coke or getting an energy boost from coffee is a physiological process. Just like eating food. Everyone eats food to survive.

So if they eat food to survive, that means you get energy from the outside world, making you an extrovert? /eyeroll/

With that being said, since this is personality types we're talking about, I would think it has to do with mental processes. I read somewhere (I read too many things back when I was super interested in this) that extroverts have lesser brainwave activity, causing them to seek outer objects or experiences to interact with, so as to "stimulate" their brain. Introverts are the opposite, they have a lot of brainwave activity, that too much external stimuli will "short circuit" their brain, causing them to retract and seek solitude.

Don't quote me on this, I might be wrong, and I'm more than happy to be corrected.

You worded this better than I ever could. Thank you. :wubbie:

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

I need a USB socket on the side of my head, I could charge my phone with my introverted brain

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I need a USB socket on the side of my head, I could charge my phone with my introverted brain

I'm sure it would save you from those sleepless nights where your brain refuses to stfu.

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7

In older English texts, "s"s were originally written as "f"s. Are we incorrect to use "s"s now?

I prefer current dictionary standards, thanks, which don't seem to have a preference for either spelling.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
If you have a comedown a while after doing a line of coke and need time to recharge, does that make you an introvert?

Extroverts don't need coffee, they are coffee. And alcohol. Extroverts are also alcohol.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Spoiler: half of the people is pertty much just ambiverted. :wink:

I was even thinking that the first letter should be I,E or A since it would cut out so many dillemas.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am rather fond of this description of the key difference between introverts and extraverts:

introverts seem more likely to experience wholeness as individuals early in life. It may not be until later in life that they feel at peace with the outside world or with a romantic partner. We see the opposite phenomenon in extraverts, who, early on, seem geared to feel at peace or “at home” in the outside world or in the context of relationships. It may not be until later in life that they experience wholeness while alone.

Childish vs. Mature Love & Relationships

Although I am an extravert, I typed myself as an introvert for years. While it's true that I spend a lot of time "in my head," I think that's an N feature, not an E feature of my personality. ENFj (EIE) is a natural performer. No stage actor is expected to perform for eight hours straight. No stageplay lasts that long, and that's for a good reason. Performing is hard work, and even natural performers need time alone to re-charge, so to speak. That said, I really dislike being alone, and even when I am alone, I'm either talking to myself (in my head), talking to someone else (in my head), practicing what I am going to say to someone else (in my head), or writing on an internet forum (effectively, talking to other people "in my head"). Meditation does not come naturally to me. I think that introverts are, as described above, more comfortable in their own skin but more uncomfortable engaging with the world and dealing with relationships. Extraverts, by contrast, are more comfortable engaging with the world and dealing with relationships but less comfortable being alone and feeling "at peace" in their own skin, so to speak. Ideally, both types can learn, over time, to overcome these deficiencies, but it takes some effort, mental health (higher self-esteem), and self-knowledge to do so.

For what that's worth. :shrug:

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx

So by this logic is it impossible for a blind and deaf/mute person to be an extrovert since processing 'outer' stimuli is so much more difficult?

And sorry, I just quoted you :shrug:

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Although I am an extravert, I typed myself as an introvert for years. While it's true that I spend a lot of time "in my head," I think that's an N feature, not an E feature of my personality. ENFj (EIE) is a natural performer. No stage actor is expected to perform for eight hours straight. No stageplay lasts that long, and that's for a good reason. Performing is hard work, and even natural performers need time alone to re-charge, so to speak.

Good point. I frequently get into these 'moods' (maybe call it 'Ti time') where I'm not very receptive to the 'outer world.' Maybe it has something to do with my socionics subtype? The popular definition of extrovert and introvert revolving around 'being energized' by people is woefully lacking and probably should be abandoned. What if an extrovert is stranded on a deserted island with no people around? Do they just wither and die due to being depleted of all energy? The 'outer world' is much more than just people and more often than not I'll find some 'object' more interesting than another actual person to the point where I might even ignore said person in favor of devoting my attention to the object.

That said, I really dislike being alone, and even when I am alone, I'm either talking to myself (in my head), talking to someone else (in my head), practicing what I am going to say to someone else (in my head), or writing on an internet forum (effectively, talking to other people "in my head"). Meditation does not come naturally to me.

My behavior is the same way but I like to do this so much sometimes that I like being alone because of it.

I think that introverts are, as described above, more comfortable in their own skin but more uncomfortable engaging with the world and dealing with relationships. Extraverts, by contrast, are more comfortable engaging with the world and dealing with relationships but less comfortable being alone and feeling "at peace" in their own skin, so to speak. Ideally, both types can learn, over time, to overcome these deficiencies, but it takes some effort, mental health (higher self-esteem), and self-knowledge to do so.

For what that's worth. :shrug:

My experience has been that introverts lack more self-confidence and genuine comfort with themselves than extroverts. Some introverts may fear letting go and diving into the 'outer world' because they think the rest of the world won't understand them and might look down on them. Some avoid many external interactions because they fear humiliation or being perceived negatively. I think, for some, the lack of desire to interact is precisely because of discomfort in their own skin.

Of course there are many other introverts that are exactly as you say. They can carry themselves just fine in the world but prefer to keep it at arms length because they prefer to examine more before interacting.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So by this logic is it impossible for a blind and deaf/mute person to be an extrovert since processing 'outer' stimuli is so much more difficult?

And sorry, I just quoted you :shrug:

Does anyone hear that buzzing?