• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cultural archetypes, stereotypes and modal types

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Thought I'd start a new thread on how "experts" look at type and culture--the people who are writing articles on it and getting paid to use type with teams to work with cultural and other diversity.

First, cultures have "archetypal" images of the best way to be. Heroes, values taught in school, traits that are rewarded at work, etc., are the kinds of things that are looked at to determine archetypes.
  • The president of the French type association points out how Decartes is held up as the greatest French Philosopher (I think therefore I am...) and the goddess of the Revolution is Reason
  • He pointed to many other characteristics of French schooling and business practices that point to Thinking being valued

Then there are the "stereotypes" other cultures hold. Most Americans, for example, when thinking of France are more likely to think "passion, amore" and come up with Feeling as the stereotype of that country.

Finally, there is the modal type--the one most frequent in the population. Solid research has only been done in a few countries--the statistically sound studies where a valid type sorter is used with random samplings of people. There isn't one yet for France, but the type association there reported at the 2005 International Conference on Psychological Type that they estimated about 65% of the population prefers Feeling. He said only half-jokingly that he believed that the archetypes developed in his country were an attempt to temper their natural temperaments...

Sometimes archetype, stereotype and modal type match up--The United States and Extraversion, for example. Sometimes they don't.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Although your post seems more like a statement then anything else, I'd like to debate this a bit. However, I need two questions answered first:

a/ When one says, "The amount of INTJs in the population is 1%," for instance, is that a world population total, or could, or has, that been broken down into country statistics?

b/ How do these samples work, exactly? In other words, would one type be more likely to respond to the sample/survey relative to another type?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think for germany, from observation, the things count as following by approximation:

E: 20%
I: 80%

T: 60%
F: 40%

S: 70%
N: 30%

P: 60%
J: 40%

The most intresting thing is, while I have come to know the stereotype that germany is S-land, it really is I-land. The most types, you will meet are ISTJ, ISTP and INTJ, from my opinion.

In the past years, everything is getting more "open-" and "-hearted" but it really still developes much around Introverted Sensing, which holds things in life for benevolent good gods or devilish bad things.

I wonder how easy it would be for an ENTP to become president here xD. Well forget this thought, I bet it is pretty impossible. Will do that in France :D

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
See . . . it's that type of sample and analysis that I fear.

"80%" introverts!? Never mind, don't answer that.

Anyway, I'll wait for your answer, ec. Thanks.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
USA is an extrovert feeler who got bullied at school, ran away from home when teenager and now suppresses all that shit but can't help exploding from time to time. That's how it seems from here.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Although your post seems more like a statement then anything else, I'd like to debate this a bit. However, I need two questions answered first:

a/ When one says, "The amount of INTJs in the population is 1%," for instance, is that a world population total, or could, or has, that been broken down into country statistics?

b/ How do these samples work, exactly? In other words, would one type be more likely to respond to the sample/survey relative to another type?

Thanks--I s'pose it was a statement, kind of a report on "how it's done" in some circles. I find it useful when working with groups of educators because a) when your school district has students who speak over a hundred languages you need something for convenience! b) it helps point out how students can differ from their cultural backgrounds as far as learning styles and c) it often prevents negative stereotyping. But to answer...

The samples are done country by country and there are two kinds
  • Samples of convenience, which means people who use type professionally turned in results of verified (hopefully) type from workshops. These can be really skewed, though, because often they're all corporate managers or something. The samples do show similarities around the world on who goes into management!
  • National representative samples. With these, the statisticians use their methods to figure out how many people they need to poll to get an adequate representation of the population--it was 3,009 in the United States, from across different demographic groups.

They do their best to correct for things like, will E's or I's be more likely to answer the phone, etc. There are a lot of details in the MBTI manual about how they chose the sampling. I do know they had trouble finding enough people from minority populations as, with good reason, they tend to be suspicious of tests and experiments...for the National Representative Sample, they multiplied these responses to equal their % in the general population--not perfect but a statistically acceptable method and better than nothing???

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
USA is an extrovert feeler who got bullied at school, ran away from home when teenager and now suppresses all that shit but can't help exploding from time to time. That's how it seems from here.

USA is a country, with like 300 million different people in it. Trying to "type" a country as a whole is just silly.

MBTI Type
ENTP
sorry....when did we get bullied, what's school, what's home, when were we a teenager, what are we suppressing, and what do you consider exploding?

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
USA is a country, with like 300 million different people in it. Trying to "type" a country as a whole is just silly.

The attempt isn't to say "everyone is this type" but that the country values some preferences over others. For example in the US Extraversion is way more valued
  • We grade on class participation
  • We worry about our "shy" children
  • There was just a study in Harvard Management Review expressing surprise that Introverts can be good leaders. Like thinking before acting is a bad thing...
  • In most settings those who speak up fastest are considered brighter or smarter. Compare that to many First Nations where those who listen to everyone else, then synthesize and add wisdom, are considered the great leaders

So it's looking systemically to see what is valued, not stereotyping behaviors. that's a different thing...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You got bullied the last soccer world championship :D

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
sorry....when did we get bullied, what's school, what's home, when were we a teenager, what are we suppressing, and what do you consider exploding?

Actually most think we're Extraverted Thinking--we do not step into the shoes of others to consider the impact of our decisions on them...:blush:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

Uh. It was a joke. :doh: I dislike explaining them...

USA started from being some small religious groups in europe (this is the bullying part) and sailed across the ocean (and this is the run-away-as-a-teenager part) and is now a country that starts a war every other decade, licks his wounds until they get new president and then go again. (That was the exploding part)

MBTI Type
ENTP
Actually most think we're Extraverted Thinking--we do not step into the shoes of others to consider the impact of our decisions on them...:blush:

Yeah, boo hoo. It must have really sucked for Europe when we saved its butt and forgave every debt.

Anyway, I want to expand on the ran away from home analogy. K, so we got bullied, ran away from home...that part's good. But substitute "suppressed all that shit" with "got rich and famous while distant relatives stayed unemployed and bitter".
:run:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
How about we compromise: "got rich and famous, yet feels empty inside and can't help but to feel for the senile relatives back home"? Plus some rage.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Uh. It was a joke. :doh: I dislike explaining them...

USA started from being some small religious groups in europe (this is the bullying part) and sailed across the ocean (and this is the run-away-as-a-teenager part) and is now a country that starts a war every other decade, licks his wounds until they get new president and then go again. (That was the exploding part)

Actually pretty accurate. Still think we're more T--their feelings get hurt too...

How about we compromise: "got rich and famous, yet feels empty inside and can't help but to feel for the senile relatives back home"? Plus some rage.

Is it rage or total obliviousness to others...

Last edited by a moderator:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Is it rage or total obliviousness to others...

You might be on to something. Maybe America is so total extrovert that he doesn't think about that much before doing? It must be the extrovert among the countries...