• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] Wherever you have Si in your stack of pancakes, how do you identify with it?

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Hey Dreamer,

I'm going through some old files and found this in papers I had saved. I have no idea where it came from (apologies to the author) but have often referred back to it and think you (@Enthusiastic_Dreamer) might gain value from it also. [MENTION=22178]hel[/MENTION] I am mentioning you also cuz of your post in this thread.

Here goes:

Many people, in learning about Si, often wonder about how Si and Ni are different because they function in very similar ways.

So let me just try to vomit out my thoughts a bit. And you (anyone) can let me know their thoughts :)

So my impression of Si is that it takes things very literally.

Anecdote:

If Si walks into a dark room, flips a light switch up, and sees that the light comes on, it will know that flipping the light switch up will probably turn the light on in the future since it did that in the past.

It doesn't know, however, what flipping the light switch down will do. Because it's never done that before. It could speculate about what might happen, but that's when Si starts to feel very uncomfortable and starts thinking of grand visions of gloom and doom. Si will want to study up on the effects of flipping light switches down and making preparations for all the things that could possibly go wrong before it moves forward and flips the light switch down.

If there isn't enough information available about the effects of flipping the light switch down, Si will not feel comfortable touching the light switch and will leave the light switch in the up (on) position until more information becomes available.

And once it is ready to flip the light switch down, it will do so. And then it will see that the light went off. And Si will make a mental note of this. "So when I flip the light switch up, I expect it will probably turn the light on since it did that last time. And when I flip the light switch down, it will turn the light off since it did that last time."

Si will keep these assumptions until something changes.

For example, if Si walks into this room on another day and the light is off and it tries flipping the light switch up, it may be be very surprised when the light doesn't come on. It will want to investigate this and will need to explore its past knowledge of why the light might not come on.

If it has no past knowledge, it's rather screwed. Si is going to need to call in some back up--an expert on lights. Si will need to read up on what others have to say about lights not coming on. And what might cause that.

And Si will learn that there are many possibilities for why a light might not come on. And this is really going to annoy Si because it has no previous knowledge of this situation to help it narrow down the possibilities.

So Si is really going to want to call in an electrician to fix the problem. Or painstakingly try out every possibility before it finds the one that fixes the problem.

If, however, Si does have past information about lights, then it will be in much better shape. Perhaps Si ran into a situation in the past in which the light didn't come on. And the problem was that the light bulb needed to be changed. Si will remember this when the light doesn't come on in the future, and will think "well, maybe the light bulb needs to be changed"--regardless of when the last time the light bulb was changed--and will try changing the bulb to see if it fixes the problem.

Si will start working on this problem right away and will not feel comfortable stopping until the problem is resolved. It will almost feel as though the broken light impedes on its peace of mind and comfort. And will want this problem resolved ASAP.

My impression of Ni is that it can be pretty terrible at taking things literally. Ni thinks it's smarter than the world. Ni makes predictions that aren't founded in reality--but rather that are inspired by reality and then are imbued with critical thinking that comes from the user.

Anecdote:

Ni walks into a dark room and flips a light switch up. It sees that this turns the light on.

Ni will see this and immediately "know" that flipping the light switch down will turn the light off, as that makes the most intuitive sense.

So Ni will flip the light switch down. And is very excited to find out that it was right!

And so Ni will even indulge in this a bit and keep flipping the light switch up and down and watching the light do exactly what Ni expected it to do. Ni will feel really pleased about this.

Ni will come back on a different day and feel very confident in its ability to turn the light on and off, and so will walk into the dark room and flip the switch up.

But if the light doesn't come on, then Ni is really confused. And maybe even a bit scared. Because an Ni without any previous knowledge of lights or electricity or about light bulbs or anything like that is probably going to assume that it was the reason that the light broke. It may think that by turning the light on and off so much, it caused the light to break and not turn on.

Ni may even start to feel really confident about this assumption. And may even think to have discovered something new about lights--you can't turn them on or off too much or else they'll break.

Ni will go through life without ever questioning this, really, unless it sees conflicting evidence (such as they know a friend who turns his light on and off all the time and it still works just fine). Once Ni is exposed to this, it will realize that it was wrong and that it needs to rethink its assumption. Before that, though, it will probably accept it unquestioningly.

Anyway, Ni may even decide that it doesn't need that room with the broken light and will go find another room with a light in it. Yes, Ni will just leave the problem as it is. And feels totally fine not fixing it. Actually, it prefers to not fix it because Ni hates having to interact with and affect its environment. And prefers to just ignore it for as long as it can get away with.

If the room with the broken light is one of thousands of available rooms to choose from, Ni will keep going through room after room until all of them except for one have a broken light.

Then Ni will start to feel really pressured into solving this problem. Because it knows that its time is ticking away.. and that soon all the rooms will have broken lights and it will have no rooms left to use.

So Ni will learn about this issue finally. And/or hire someone to fix it for them. Or teach them how so that they don't have to rely on anyone in the future and can just fix it themselves.

But, let's say Ni does have knowledge of previous electrical equipment. Say Ni has a refrigerator at home, and sometimes the light in the refrigerator doesn't work. Ni will see this and immediately see the connection between the refrigerator and the electrical circuit in this room--they both require electricity, and they both require light bulbs!

So Ni will sort of "know" immediately that the problem is caused by one of two things:
1. Electricity isn't reaching the light bulb.
2. The light bulb is defunct.

Despite being no expert whatsoever on light bulbs, electrical circuits, lighting, anything like this, it will still be able to narrow down the results via intuitively knowing what makes sense and what doesn't.

So it will start with the easier task--changing the light bulb--and see if that works. If it doesn't, it will have to get help from someone who can work with the electricity to fix it.

Ni without past knowledge of similar intuitive structures to the problem they're dealing with is going to be very screwed in the same way that Si without previous, detailed knowledge of the exact situation at hand is going to be very screwed.

In this way, you can see how Ni relies on the non-literal to get by, whereas Si relies on the literal.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION] I never knew reading about a light switch could be so entertaining. :D

The thrust of your description is right on though. Si naturally deals with contingencies and preparation. In some sense it shows its clear relationship to Ne. It's sort of like Si tries to overcome Ne in the Si dom/aux Jungian type. Ne is the exploratory function. It wants to charge out into the world and see what potential is to be had. The Si dom actually wants to charge out there too. Even their inferior Ne is enough to grant them some kind of 'forward' momentum sort of like a river current. However dom Si is not to be unprepared for whatever hazards await. Si is kind of like the person that's built the specially fortified bunker complete with food and water rations for the zombie apocalypse. It understands, through Ne, the 'worst case' scenarios and wants to be prepared.

The problem with this of course is that they could be over-preparing for nothing or they could be spending too much time preparing that they 'miss' the event all together or that whatever they are preparing for has already changed. While Si excels at preparation and accumulating 360 knowledge about certain things it really struggles with adaptability. The higher the Ne is in the stack the better it can compensate and adapt but may find itself woefully unprepared for some overwhelming calamity. I think people with more balanced Ne-Si like INxPs and ESxJs are better equipped to manage both adaptability and preparation.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION] I never knew reading about a light switch could be so entertaining. :D

The thrust of your description is right on though. Si naturally deals with contingencies and preparation. In some sense it shows its clear relationship to Ne. It's sort of like Si tries to overcome Ne in the Si dom/aux Jungian type. Ne is the exploratory function. It wants to charge out into the world and see what potential is to be had. The Si dom actually wants to charge out there too. Even their inferior Ne is enough to grant them some kind of 'forward' momentum sort of like a river current. However dom Si is not to be unprepared for whatever hazards await. Si is kind of like the person that's built the specially fortified bunker complete with food and water rations for the zombie apocalypse. It understands, through Ne, the 'worst case' scenarios and wants to be prepared.

The problem with this of course is that they could be over-preparing for nothing or they could be spending too much time preparing that they 'miss' the event all together or that whatever they are preparing for has already changed. While Si excels at preparation and accumulating 360 knowledge about certain things it really struggles with adaptability. The higher the Ne is in the stack the better it can compensate and adapt but may find itself woefully unprepared for some overwhelming calamity. I think people with more balanced Ne-Si like INxPs and ESxJs are better equipped to manage both adaptability and preparation.

Agreed except for that I actually really don't want to "charge out there." It's very comfortable "in here." :p

I like to explore outside my comfort zone occasionally. When I feel safe doing so. I'll order the same food at the same restaurant every single time unless maybe I'm with a bunch of friends, we're all relaxed having a good time, I feel totally at ease, and then I might think, "You know what, fuck it. I'm gonna try this new food instead of the one I always get." And maybe I'll regret it and maybe I won't, but no one's forcing me to do so, and I feel free to go back to doing what I'm comfortable always doing if I decide it's not for me.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I'm curious what all of you have to say about Si and what it means to you regardless of where it sits in your stack, how it plays with your other functions, and all that yummy stuff. What Zombie noted about inferior Ne users is that they have a rather negative view of Ne. Is this the same for everyone with their inferior function or is this just a case of bad Ne? But, no, let's stay on topic here shall we?

... So with Si as an inferior function, I definitely see it's valuable use and I do have an appreciation for it, but it's a place I can't hang out in for too long if I want to stay the best version of me that I can.

Hey Dreamer, I found this resource immensely helpful. Hope you enjoy it :hug:

How Functions Work: Inferior Si (ENTP/ENFP) - Exploring Cognitive Function Theory