• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Perception and Judgment Thick Descriptions

iauiugu

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I often find descriptions of the eight mbti categories (p, j, i, e...) to be inadequate for my taste

and have noticed that they seem to describe two interrelated but distinct aspects of human behavior; one relates to the phenomenological, moment-by-moment experiences of life, the other being the general characteristics of someone with a preference for the category.

I find there is a lot more effort dedicated to the latter behaviorial descriptions, while the former seems rarely addressed more than in passing

As such I was hoping for some feedback on my (few) collected thoughts on Judgment and Perception

Or if you could recommend some writing along a similar line of thinking

Perception

A process of information gathering, attuning oneself to the flux and flow of mental and physical content and ideation - just taking things in without forming a particular thought or feeling about them

Necessary in order to adapt to the ever-in-flux changes of life

The state of taking in information, such as novel stimuli or deviations from what has been previously decided upon

It is particularly evoked by curiosity and wonder, the free play of ideas and objects.

It is related to brainstorming, the open-ended generation of ideas

'Pure perception' is 'all sail, no rudder' – undifferentiated to the point of meaninglessness

Judgment

A process of formulating discrete ideas and concepts, defining static boundaries between distinct things

The state of minimizing extraneous information and focusing on essential parts to draw conclusions and make decisions from perceived information

It is particularly prompted by concern and guilt, the serious consideration of ideas and objects

'Pure judgment' is 'all form, no content' – differentiated to the point of incomprehensible opacity - esoteric

-

A nice example of the distinction for me comes from optical illusions that can be viewed in two distinct, exclusive ways (old hag-young woman, goblet-profiles), and how a perceptive state holds the image without defining it as one or the other, or is open to both ideas simultaneously, while a judgey state is closed from one interpretation or the other, its parts collectively signifying a static image

I hope that makes some sense.