• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Distinct differences between ENTJ and ESTP

Baron

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The reason i'm asking this is because i'm consistenly typed as ENTJ, a friend of mine who is a MBTI fan also typed me as ENTJ. Strangely enough, i live a very ESTP-ish life and many decisions i've made in the past also kind of ESTP-ish, so is my attitude and social habit(my girlfriend even think i'm an ESTP). However, after i intensively read about the cognitive functions since the last few days i can say my brain works more like that of ENTJ(Te Ni Se Fi) rather than ESTP(Se Ti Fe Ni).

My question is this, does MBTI typing include how someone lives his life or is it entirely about one's cognitive functionality? And is it about how i truly function or things(functions)that i value?

I'd like to explain how my mind works in case you need further details so i can get a clearer answer :
1.I'm a hardcore thinker
No hour i spend without thinking. This is why i can say my cognitive process works more like ENTJ because ESTP is Se dominant and would simply jump off to anything catch their interest while i tend to consider a few things before taking action like "does it worth my time, money and energy?" "what is so great about it that i can be so interested with?" "will it benefit me?" etc etc. But it'd never take long for me to finally find the answers; it takes only a few seconds. It happens all the time, whenever i could be, wherever i am.
2.Strong Se
This is also why i recognize the possibility that i could be mistyped because as much as i tend to think, i have an intense need for constant physical sensation. For instance, pretty girls can easily distract me, well not all pretty girls, i have an unique taste for woman but once i find that attractive one my thinking process can suddenly be turned off and then i'm become all focused about how to get that woman. However, i still can control myself. It's like if i find her while i'm doing my job i will choose to finish my job first and then talk to her but i will be unable to stop thinking about her and all the sensuality related about(this earned me a "Don Juan" reputation, i don't like it). Another instance, i can't stop smoking that it's almost as if i was born to breath smoke. I also have a strong interest in music, nice suits, watches, leather jackets/belts/pants/shoes, fine clothes, etc but i'm not glamour. So it's that i'd rather buy a used Omega watch than a new no-brand watch. But even so, i once take a side-job only to get myself enough money so i can buy a good personal audio equipments so i can listen to my favourite music whenever and wherever i feel like to. That's how much i like music. Without cigars, coffee or beers and music, i wouldn't like to do anything and get angry instead. My jobs and hobbies are also physical(audio-engineering, photography, public speaking, writing, acting, etc)
3.Emotionally cold
For all my life, i always find it's difficult to understand others feelings. It's not that i consciously or intentionally ignore others feelings. I just can't "connect" with them. However, i can sense when someone is upset or feel offended by me but my response is always like "i understand you feel bad, but i'm not your entertainer. Your emotions are not my business". I often get into trouble for this, even with my parents. But still, i don't mind. I'd never ask anyone else to care about how or what i feel as i prefer to take matters with my own hands anyway. So i'm fair enough. Personally, i think feelings should be a personal thing and i'm annoyed when someone become so emotional(but i don't blame them).
4.I like socializing. But i prefer to keep things impersonal.
Often times, i'd rather randomly meet some new people who knows nothing about me then keep myself in touch with the known ones. Some people think i'm an introvert because of this but i'm not. I just don't feel the need to build emotional relationships with people. I rarely come to family gatherings, birthday parties, weddings, etc simply because i don't appreciate those things. But i would come to party and prefer to take a vacation with people. However, i would not let them to be a part of my life so once we became so close i would leave them away and meet some new people again and the cycle goes on and on.
5.I'm good at both organising and executing
This is my natural talent. Ever since i was a kid, i'd never have any difficulty to plan something and execute it. People told me i'm a remarkable doer and a gifted strategist.
6.I work well alone or with people
There's an exception though. When i have to work with people i will either have to be the leader or i will just work alone. I dislike to follow at any cost.
7.I pay equal attention to both the process and the result
I'm more goal oriented about it though. Like say, i once need money and people suggest me to be a model. I hate modelling. I hate advertising others products and have to use my skin as if i have no brain like animals(you know people use reptile's skin to make bags, shoes, etc)even though i know it can easily get me some bucks. So i'm doing something else instead. That being said if ENTJ is all about the goals while ESTP prefer the present over the goals. This is where i get confused.
7.I like to learn, but i hate being taught. I learn better by myself
8.I dislike procedures, routine and schedules
I can stick to personal timetable though especially when i know i'm doing something that benefits me, i like to do it and the result will also satisfy me. But generally, i find that procedures, routine and schedules especially ones made by others does not help me and limits me instead. This is why i prefer to freelance than working in a company.
9.I'm stubborn when it comes to my decision
If i decide something, it has to be it no matter what. I hate to change my mind no matter how many people or who suggest me to. That's because i think carefully before i decide something and the time i used to think will be wasted if the conclusion it's not applied and i don't like it. I'm more decisive than impulsive despite i often follow my impulse but that's because i decide to follow it.
10.Related to point 9, because i carefully think before making a decision i'm always aware and ready to take consequences for the result of my decision as my decision can be dangerous sometimes. But i'm not afraid to take risks as long as i know it's worth it. I'd never afraid with troubles. With guts like this, i recently realize that i often use my IQ only to solve all the problems came by the consequences of my action rather than doing something intellectual my intelligence worth doing(Lol).

Some other friend suggested me to consider the possibility that i probably an ENTP or ESTJ as well. I've read as many information about both types from many sources as possible and i find myself too different with them(ex : My intuition isn't extroverted for i need external data and objects(something like inspiration)to correctly thinking and form a conclusion about something. Unlike Ne user as well, i don't like to dive in an ocean full of abstract possibilities. I tend to always make a conclusion about anything as a valid result of my thinking process because that's what i value the most from thinking. My sensing is clearly not introverted as well for i rarely rely on my past experiences in doing anything and instead, i often myself unconciously "forgot" about my past)Generally, i find my thinking-intuiting-sensing process couldn't be separated for i can see they often completing each other. The order of the preference that left me confused.

So, what do you think?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
for the most stereotypically SP response ever here...

it was a very long post and it wasn't illustrated... it also did not have many characters or an arc of drama

I got lost :sadbanana:

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=27651]Baron[/MENTION], ENTJ's and ESTP's are easily confused. An example would be Donald Trump. However ESTP's have Fe and are more con artists or social chameleons, whereas ENTJ's have Fi and are more likely not to conform to external values.

P.S Sorry for the nitpicking but 8w3 is not an ennegram type, enneagram wings are the numbers closest to the core type. If you are an 8 your wings would be 8w7 and 8w9, if you were a 3 they would be 3w4 and 3w2.

Baron

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
for the most stereotypically SP response ever here...

it was a very long post and it wasn't illustrated... it also did not have many characters or an arc of drama

I got lost :sadbanana:

Cut off 90% of your post and I'll think about it.

Thanks for your answer anyway. I can clearly see the difference now.

[MENTION=27651]Baron[/MENTION], ENTJ's and ESTP's are easily confused. An example would be Donald Trump. However ESTP's have Fe and are more con artists or social chameleons, whereas ENTJ's have Fi and are more likely not to conform to external values.

P.S Sorry for the nitpicking but 8w3 is not an ennegram type, enneagram wings are the numbers closest to the core type. If you are an 8 your wings would be 8w7 and 8w9, if you were a 3 they would be 3w4 and 3w2.

Yeah, i know i miswrote that. Thanks for reminding me of that again.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
Your responses and approach to life make you sound very ENTJish to me. I didn't really get the sense that ESTP could work. Activities and aesthetics don't really speak as much about your functions and type as your thought patterns, but you do display Te and Se, which fits well for the ENTJ thing.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
ENTJ

However that sx instinct and tertiary Se is giving you a few ESTP elements. Also the typical ESTP in general wouldn't just not have the patience to type all of that.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You definitely sound ENTJ to me. Lifestyles does not equal into a certain MBTI type.