• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How well do you fit one of the 16 types?

How well do you fit one of the 16 types?

• I know my type and it fits me very well.

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • I am not sure: Sometimes I suspect I might not fit into any of the types.

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • I feel I don't fit any of the type descriptions.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I feel I don't fit because my top two function are not one of the 16 allowed combinations.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
This is inspired by the MBTI is almost totally useless thread. I am trying to get a feel of how many people feel they are "exceptions" people who don't fit into one of the 16 types.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Many people don't think they do. There may possibly be those who really don't, but I haven't seen one yet. :) I fit.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
The interplay and intensity of the letters can make for a lot of different "exceptions" - we should re-evaluate the tenability of non-exception, I guess. You can chalk me up for spilling out over the edges of the INTJ box. I izz jelly.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I don't think I fit any of them exactly. For a while I was confused because I got hung up on function ordering, too. But when I read the descriptions, one fits better than the rest (INTP>ENTP>ENTJ). When I take (non-function) MBTI tests online, its mostly INTP over INTJ by a little. The comparative approach is the only way I get to pick one of the 16 types.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Your type is just something about you. One aspect of your personality. People think if they make it to work on time they're breaking the rules of being a P. There are no ****ing rules. /rant

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Whilst the ENTP, Ne/Ti description fits me pretty damn well, the further down the function list you go the more inaccurate it gets for me. As an ENTP I'm not supposed to have as good Te as I do, and Fi is meant to be better than Si, yet it's my inferior. The professional that tested me said that I was like an ambidextrous person where left hand was ENTJ and right was ENTP, and because it's just easier to be right-handed, that's what I 'chose' most of the time, but I can still write with my left hand better than most people.

Don't blame me, it's not my analogy. I would've thought of a better one lol

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
This is inspired by the MBTI is almost totally useless thread. I am trying to get a feel of how many people feel they are "exceptions" people who don't fit into one of the 16 types.
Jung and Myers-Briggs says there are no pure types, but it does not preclude people from making attempts at boxing themselves into a specific mode in particularly dichotomous modes. You are not pure on those levels because the cognitive functions are fluid.

I did not come to appreciate type until I determined my best fit type, not from a forced choice test but from having to do some real self analysis. I have said it before and will continue to say the easiest and most accurate means of determining your best fit type is to first determine your temperament then determine your interaction style. It leads to one and only one choice. Whether I feel social does not change that I prefer introversion. Having an appreciation for the abstract does not change that I prefer sensing. Considering the human element does not discard that I prefer thinking and J/P merely a joke that simply means you're not discussing type when you focus on it.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
^Well said, question mark. (even if I only 99% agree)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I fit pretty well. There are isolated elements of some descriptions that I don't agree with (and as much as I think Keirsey is dead-on about a lot of things he says about SP's overall, I think he doesn't understand ISFP's very well, so he's very vague in his descriptions of us) but overall I think I could be a good example of an ISFP. The funny thing is I have read some contradictory stuff on ISFPs than when I thought about it, they could both be true. Like one said we aren't competitive at all, and the other said we can get very competitive. And the truth is I have times where both are true. Like most other things, it kinda goes in phases.

redacted

I think that I'm technically an INFJ because I'm an Ni dominant and a Ti/Fe user. But I believe I'm more Thinking focused than Feeling focused. I do approach the outer world with Extroverted Feeling, but Ni+Ti processing takes precedence.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i've always thought i fit the ENFJ profile
i read several profiles before, and a light went off in my head.
thats probably because its so dark in there........

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have too high of Se to be a good NT, but more Ne than Se, so I'm stuck as a freakish N I fear :(

lastrailway

I've never been really sure of my type.
At the first test I ever took I scored INTJ, read the type description, laughed and dismissed the whole MBTI thing.

Then I read some more type descriptions and INTP seemed to fit so well that I was surprised. While trying to understand the whole system a bit better, I realised that the similarities I have with the INTP description are more often than not, superficial ones.

All I'm sure about is that I'm not E or J. I think I am T but I'm not sure, I always score N but I'm having trouble to describe myself as an iNtuitive and I've even had doubts on the I/E part at some point.
I can't help but wonder - regardless of whether I understand the MBTI correctly - how far can really this theory go. I'd say cognitive processes give more depth to the system, but I'm not very sure.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've doubted each of my letters before, and I don't really fit into ISTP all that well, but I fit into the other types even worse, so it remains.

I think it's just too vague and ambiguous for me.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I fit extremely well. Now, if you're referring to the type descriptions, then not completely... but those aren't supposed to fit everyone anyway. It's about the functions, man!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I guess I fit INTJ pretty well.

But I'm not quite so misanthropic and laugh a lot more. And no, not all of the laughter is maniacal laughter, actually.

Then again, I could be completely wrong...

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I know INFJ fits me best, but one of the things type trainers say is that you're like every person who shares your type, and like no other person who shares your type. In other words knowing another person's type tells you a little bit about them but they still have unique experiences, family background, education, training, culture that influences their behavior, the skills they develop, and their values and principles--all things that make them unique.

For example, the one "accusation" I get from others is that I sometimes act as Te as I do Fe. Well, duh, I have 4 older brothers (our culture trains boys to act T), went to a math/science high school, have an MBA in finance and spent 10 years working as a bank examiner/controller. I can do T but believe me, my first inclination when making a decision is thinking of the impact on others and how the community will react, not the logic and precedents I'm setting.

And I do think that past the first two functions, people develop in no set order. There's at least 4 theories wandering around on type development and they seem to be influenced more by the personal experiences of those who uphold them than they are likely to admit in any venue...

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Sometimes I feel im the epitome of a male ENFP, I would say at most only 5% of any ENFP descriptions dont fit me. I most definitely fit...:devil:

redacted

I can do T but believe me, my first inclination when making a decision is thinking of the impact on others and how the community will react, not the logic and precedents I'm setting.

Would you say this is a rule for INFJs? Or are you just trying to say that you happen to fit the prototype?

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Would you say this is a rule for INFJs? Or are you just trying to say that you happen to fit the prototype?

I'm saying that type is about preferences and my preference is to use Fe in decisions--that's where my mind naturally goes. But...I've had lots of training and wonderful opportunities that have helped me develop skills with Te and Ti. People sometimes see me using those skills and say, "Oh you must be INTJ." No, because I actually prefer Fe I'm INFJ. If my mind went first to the Te considerations I'd prefer Te.

INFJs certainly do exist whose childhoods were so anti-Fe that they haven't been able to develop the skills for their preferred decision making style, so they would really struggle to use it and might not feel like they fit the prototype very well.

One set of descriptions (not available on line) only deals with what each type values, not with behaviors. Descriptions of the 16 Types by Gordon Lawrence. It helps a lot of people work through these kinds of nature-but-influenced-by-nurture (or lack thereof) issues that cloud type development.