• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How would you explain or how do you understand?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
:huh: The predominately observant? That would be you... Ne Fi.

Do you perhaps mean people like ESTPs? Se Ti? The primarily observant sensors.. those who require more focused data and load points?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe you mean... How do Ns explain iNtuition to Sensing types?

If that's what you mean, I'd like to know that, too. I'd also like to know how Sensing types explain to iNtuitives how they think. I've seen a lot of explanatory threads on the other letters, but not the second one as much.

It'd be cool to see someone take that impressive task on. I would, but I'm too much of a n00b and I'd rather leave it to an expert.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Contemplation and manipulation of one's ideas about the world, rather than the world itself.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
"More concerned with imagination than reality/the future and past as opposed to here and now"

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Okay if we're going to go with explaining S versus N...

Intuition is a framework of all experiences... errm... experienced (yeah my vocablary iz gud). It's a database of memories. New information is analysed with reference to this. It provides context for everything. Hence N is more about how it connects to everything else than what it is as a singular entity.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Question for the Intuitives... how do you explain intuition to the predominantly Observant?
By its behavior.

I.e. when describing a book or a movie, an "N" will tend to describe the "big picture" or say, "I don't remember the details, but the gist of it was..."

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm liking what I'm getting so far... =) I've been trying to explain it to some observant friends... but I some how feel like I offend them whenever I try to explain it... as if they lack something... =( when really it's just a different way of looking at the world.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Gut. You just know.

frenchkiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
I'd also like to know how Sensing types explain to iNtuitives how they think. I've seen a lot of explanatory threads on the other letters, but not the second one as much.

It'd be cool to see someone take that impressive task on. I would, but I'm too much of a n00b and I'd rather leave it to an expert.

I'm the n00biest but I feel like talking anyway, ha.

As for Si - I was initially confused with my type because I thought that my Ni was strong. The thing that really solidified my primary-Si for me was when I read this blurb describing Si:

"Observe in a subjective way, selecting and relating facts that others would not, and seeing those facts more in terms of impressions and significance than pure fact"

I had confused Si and Ni, and that's what caused my confusion. For me, Sensing isn't all/only about tangible things. It might be that way for Se, I think.

I absorb details and facts from the outer world and process them through sort of a values/feelings filter before I really analyze them. For example, if I'm not sure how to move forward with someone after a conflict, I might remember specific details of my interaction with them...words spoken, facial expressions, etc. I would filter that through my value system and feelings about the situation and use any conclusions derived from that.

Hopefully that makes sense?

I'm still really new to MBTI and I'm only speaking for myself; I don't know if this is how all ISFJs experience Si.

Hopefully it's ok I derailed from the OPs question which was directed at iNtuitives. I do wish I understood N better. Specific examples (like what INTJMom said) are very helpful, if possible.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Okay if we're going to go with explaining S versus N...

Intuition is a framework of all experiences... errm... experienced (yeah my vocablary iz gud). It's a database of memories. New information is analysed with reference to this. It provides context for everything. Hence N is more about how it connects to everything else than what it is as a singular entity.

Good effort. +1
But also, reference ZiL's post in the extrospection thread.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Good effort. +1
But also, reference ZiL's post in the extrospection thread.
That is a good example of the theory. There is of course the aftermath of all that intuition though. Each piece of information has links not necessarily in context to the situation which the piece of information was raised in. If you ever notice an intuitive person going off on a tangent, it's usually due to their intuitive matrix (the database of information and links inside their heads) following one of the links which they've made which is not related to the rest of the context of the subject being discussed but is related to the context which their matrix has created.

I guess you could say that sensor's are better, in general, at staying within context in coversation and thought.. It's also why intuitives often seem "deeper". Their matrix is more fluid and less structured, with many complex relationships between data (to stick with the database parallel).

Yeah, personally I'd describe it as similar to a complex (read poorly laid out) database.

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
Intuition is like connecting dots that no one else can see.

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
I can tell you HOW I experience my intuition and see if that helps...

I am a life coach so one of the things I do is listen to people explain their problems to me. As they talk and I listen my intuition sometimes comes up with information that my client may not literally be telling me but FEELS true and relevant to me and to the situation at hand.

So for example a client was telling me how she was having a hard time with her living space. It didn't seem right for her and she was spending a lot of time and energy trying to remedy that but she wasn't satisfied. My intuition went beyond her living space issues and "told" me that her issue probably was not her physical living space but something about her in herself that she was unsatisfied with currently. My intuition led me to think that the living space issue was just her conscious way of pointing out an unconscious issue... I asked her some questions relating more to her internal and her other issues and we finally realized that it had more to do with her being unhappy with her current work than it did with her living space. After we dealt with her sense of identity and work her living space issues disappeared...

Does that make sense?

I technically had no reason to make that connection. My intuition led me to a resolution.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Show them this picture:

sensing_intuition.GIF