• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inferior Se : what exactly makes it inferior ?

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
The primary source of perception is rooted in the conditioned mind of an Ni type.

Se is inferior because they have trouble breaking these conditions and seeing the world for what it is.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Inferiority is a convention;

Take a totally ordered set, and reverse the order -> inferior <-> superior

So, inferiority means to be at one end of a spectrum.

Se represents the material world. And thus opposes the spiritual, represented by Ni.

So, Se is inferior, because Ni is superior.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi all,

Could someone please explain in their own words how or why, in my case, my inferior Se function is in fact inferior ?
How does this translate to real life examples ? (is walking by a square you've crossed a thousand times, and not noticing a new statue for instance, a good example ? or not precisely ?)
And how does my inferior Se compare to someone who has Se as their 1st or 2nd function, ie someone with a well developed Se ?
Is Se only a matter of seeing the obvious or is it more broad than that ?
Does Se only relate to the senses or is it more intricate than that ? (I mean I have perfect eyesight and very heightened senses over all (smell, vision, hearing, touch), yet I think that is not what determines well developed Se right ?)
lots of questions prolly all boiling down to the same thing...

I know their are hundreds of topics that relate to this but I'd still appreciate some personal feedback. Thanks in advance !

I find that the best explanation for function position is the concept of "ego states" (which are basically "complexes"). If Se is inferior, it's because Ni is what the ego in its main "superior" (or "heroic") state has selected as its main world view. So this superior state is reflected by an inferior state (where you feel very vulnerable), which also becomes the dumping ground for the function and attitude opposite the dominant; hence, Se.
Any type not preferring Se can tend to "walk by a square you've crossed a thousand times, and not noticing a new statue". That just indicates the function being less conscious than one of the others. What makes it inferior is being connected with a specific Inferiority Complex.

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
Having Inferior Se is certainly no joke.

I struggle to be aware of my surroundings, and have the peculiar tendency of needing to focus on one real-world thing at a time (as I understand it).

I'm terribly absent-minded and basically need to compensate for this.

I'm sure many Sensors don't suffer from this sort of thing.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi all,

Could someone please explain in their own words how or why, in my case, my inferior Se function is in fact inferior ?
How does this translate to real life examples ? (is walking by a square you've crossed a thousand times, and not noticing a new statue for instance, a good example ? or not precisely ?)
And how does my inferior Se compare to someone who has Se as their 1st or 2nd function, ie someone with a well developed Se ?
Is Se only a matter of seeing the obvious or is it more broad than that ?
Does Se only relate to the senses or is it more intricate than that ? (I mean I have perfect eyesight and very heightened senses over all (smell, vision, hearing, touch), yet I think that is not what determines well developed Se right ?)
lots of questions prolly all boiling down to the same thing...

I know their are hundreds of topics that relate to this but I'd still appreciate some personal feedback. Thanks in advance !

Perhaps we should check the Ni-supremacist websites to see why Se is inferior.

:devil:

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think Inferior Se can help explain the INJ tendency to focus intensely, and I think that many of us can be prone to obsessive focus.

Ni plays a role, no doubt, but I think the all-or-nothing nature of Inferior Se helps explain why we can obsess over some specific things and push aside others. I thing we're quite prone to at times be careless with details, and at times strongly fixated on them.

I think that details pretty much can make us feel insecure, which I think is something linked to Inferior Se.

Of course, I am but one INFJ, so I can't speak for all INJs.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The primary source of perception is rooted in the conditioned mind of an Ni type.

Se is inferior because they have trouble breaking these conditions and seeing the world for what it is.

show me the world for what it is bb

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am typed as an INFP and my Se really sucks (even though it is not suppoused to be inferior). It manifests as a lack of awerness of my enviroment, I am the last one to spot what actually is around me, I am unaware of my surroudings to the point it makes me seem like an idiot. It's hard for me to spot the physical details, It's hard for me to remember how exactly something looks like. All I usually have is a foggy idea of how it might be but the reality is often very different, I have a terrible sense of orientation and I usually don't remember how to get from one place to another. I also constantly misplace things and I don't remember where I put them, finding them is especially hard, because I can't see them even if they are right infront of my eyes. I constantly space out, even if I try really hard to concentrate on the "here and now" my mind starts to wonder into its own fantasy world pretty soon. I am preccupied with my own fantasies and accessing the reality is really hard for me, usually I think about thousand different things and never about what is going on right now, my mind still wonders from one place to the other without staying in touch with the current.
I am simply an idiot.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here's some of my anecdotal experience on what inferior Se is like. I'm curious if other INJs can relate.
By default, I feel like I am constantly in a sort of meditative state. There is a certain disconnect between myself and my external environment. For example, even if the entire world was on fire, I would probably react in a very pragmatic, business-as-usual manner. I find that nothing really shocks me.

I came across an interesting description by Thomas King on INJs: "His hands are alien to him and his body is unfamiliar."
I noticed after reading this that I have a habit of staring blankly at my palms. As I stare, I contemplate how strange it is that I should even have hands and a body. It somehow fascinates me that I have a body that I can move by will of my thoughts. Does anyone else have such a habit? I've read that INJs tend to do this sort of thing more than other types. Is it really true?

This disconnectedness also leads to ennui at times, and I occasionally engage in uncharacteristically reckless and thrill seeking behaviour, because I want to feel more alive in the moment.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it is inferior bc we are and have been so busy with other things, so we do not incorporate/integrate it very well.

in other words, our intensified conscious attention (and adult thinking system) began being itself by making use of a different kind of information, and we are more used to cultivating this other type of information, so much of our learning and resourcefulness habitually comes from other pathways.

Se (and probably Ne, in a different way), gives a sense of presence. this helps us examine and explore more directly, staying attuned to the reality of the process around and through us, the one that ultimately is constructing our experience and that of others. staying with it, learning how to invite it into the conversation, check in, absorb it, gives us tools for truly centering ourselves not only emotionally but in terms of our awareness, in terms of the ongoing stories and ways of noticing that help us respond from our sense of the moment (and the intersecting threads that constitute it, that kind of bleed and pulse the energy of it).

it's opposite of Ni, which comes from this entranced, non-temporal place, where we blend together this sense of quasi absolute perspective that isn't really grounded by a sense of flow. it relies on meaningful abstractions and a sense of equivalence to explore ways of surveying the possibilities within, of remaking its own frameworks and communities of perspectives/ideas. it's always cross-contextualizing, finding ways to unify and separate, building this hierarchical context kabob that keeps eating itself, ultimately only orbiting other orbits. just looking for symmetry and scaling, linking perspectives rather than exploring and sequencing movements. we become projected into it rather than noticing how it becomes us.

Se is so helpful because it helps us explore ways of experiencing more directly, in turn helping support our ability to be ourselves all the way thru the moment. it wakes us up and allows us to respond to others with more vibrancy and full thereness. it also feels good and shakes us up with a darty, non-linguistic sense of fun.