• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

J and Ps are you good at sticking to a day planner?

Arr you good at it?

• I am a P and i am good at it

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I am a P and i suck at it

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I am a j and i am good at it

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I am a j and i suck at it

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ugh, I don't even like writing in a day planner much less sticking to it. BORING.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ugh, I don't even like writing in a day planner much less sticking to it. BORING.

When I said day planner I meant monotonously repeating the same actions over and over again till you get there/achieve something.

I don't know what other way to accomplish something, not being driven and all.

Perhaps the 9 in my tri type is helping me out on this.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I try hard to make a good plan, but I more than often fail to meet it. I usually end up doing things just according to my current mood, if I feel like doing it, I'll do it, if I don't...well I just don't.
I know it's really bad and I try hard to fight my planning moodiness, but it's harder than it looks.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I said day planner I meant monotonously repeating the same actions over and over again till you get there/achieve something.

I don't know what other way to accomplish something, not being driven and all.

Perhaps the 9 in my tri type is helping me out on this.

Oh I don't do that either. Or rather, I slack off everyday unless and until I absolutely have to do something, which is when I do it in a mad rush. So I guess I do have some kind of routine. :alttongue:

I should say that like you, I also have ambitions. But right now, I have the advantage of having my time and five year plan relatively regimented, since I'm in school. So all I have to do is hit the requirements that school has laid out for me and I should be on track. But it's not a day-to-day thing, more a deadline-to-deadline thing.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I stick with actually having a day planner, but I don't stick with the same one for very long.

I'll switch from some task list on my phone to carving out time in Google Calendar, then Reminders, then MS Project, then a mind map, then a few more systems, and then probably back again. It feels as though the one that I'm using at any given time lacks something. In reality I'm probably getting bored with one and then move on.

My current is a "to-do" calendar in Google Calendar, where I put the things I need to do as "appointments." They have a start and end time representing how long I think it'll take -- 15 minutes, an hour, two hours, etc. And if I can't get to something I just click-and-drag it to another time or day. One psychological advantage is if f I can't or won't do something, then I have to actively move it -- which emphasizes to myself that I'm putting the thing off. "Huh, I sure have clicked and dragged this task to a later day like a hundred times.."

Oh, like day to day habits? Tracking those is boring as hell, and I use different systems from time to time with those too. They just remind me of how much monotonous bullshit I need to do every single day. It's too easy to say -- "Yeah, yeah; this thing again" and just let some habits lapse.

Right now I'm using https://habitica.com/ in an accountability 'party' of sorts with some folks here (@EJCC, [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION], [MENTION=23583]21lux[/MENTION], [MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION], ...), which forces me to do my things lest I slip up and screw them over.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I would have to remember to write things down in it. Which, I may as well just remember what I need to remember. That's my thinking, anyway. I don't do reminders in my phone, either. Something about planners and reminders are...irksome. lol... dunno.

For work, I have a post-it note system in front of my computer. Short term, weekly stuff that may pass through general checks and balances of the job.

Lark

I use them and constantly develop new ones and they do work for me.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am an EXXJ and suck at it. I sort of use my mind as a calendar.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I use the calendar on my phone constantly, but I often procrastinate.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
More than I used to. I can do it but don't ever get the impression I like being tied down to a schedule.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm good at being at certain places at certain times. If it ever gets to the point where I need a day planner (or as is done in modern times, G-calender the heck out of my day) to do this then I'm sure my life has become totally unacceptable to myself.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think it is important to develop discipline in one's self.. I used to really suck at it as a kid, barely making essentials scrape by. But, if you work at it, you'll find you can come to really love not feeling like you're procrastinating.

I don't do hourly planners... I tried that, and I suck at that. I cannot say, "For this one hour, I will study." ... But I CAN say, "Okay, I will read this chapter, and summarize the important parts, and then I will watch an episode of this show I want to binge on, then read more." It may take me forever to study, but I paid attention long enough to both things to make it happen that day.

Generally speaking, I just make a list everyday. What I want to accomplish and get done. That list is easier to make now with Habitica, but I literally have a giant white board in my living room with stuff.

I have vague to-do's, daily tasks, and habits I want to form.. This translated over pretty easily to Habitica. :)

As long as I get them done before I go to bed I'm happy.

... I think it also helps that I have over-arching goals. These.. longer term, bigger plans that help me stay on track. Because if I don't do a little bit towards them everyday, I won't make it. They are ambitious goals. Quite ambitious. I think I would label myself ambitious in the sense that I make very high marks for myself and strive hard for them. I do have goals like "Make an impact on the world" and "be able to communicate in another language" and shit like that that isn't a passive thing that can get done with time alone.

I think.. I think what really hit me is that cracked article I read. I'll never not post it.

6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person | Cracked.com

... Because really, truly. If you aren't CREATING something yourself, if you're just using creations, what's the point? Create something.. have something you impacted the world with.. even if that something is just a laugh.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I work different days/times almost every week so I always copy my schedule into my phone calendar and have my routine down for that. besides that I'm not much of a planner but I'm not really one to forget about commitments I've made either. if I don't show up I've probably been agonizing about it for a while.

I think the Si helps with this stuff, my ISTP boyfriend can't plan or schedule for shit.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the Si helps with this stuff, my ISTP boyfriend can't plan or schedule for shit.

Yeah. I don't even have to program my planners. They just text me "Are we still on for tonight? 8 good?" "

Me: Oh. Yeah. Now I remember. "Yeah sounds good." :blush:

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Schedules and cleaning and organization are things I just can't do. It only helps if it's something scheduled by someone else, sometimes.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I always liked the idea of day planners and calendars and there are times when I get really into the idea of organizing my life and start making plans. I'm really good at it for that one specific moment in time. Then my inability to plan kicks in and the calendar gets forgotten for about 6 months. Apparently you gotta use those things all the time for them to be effective and I just can't commit to something like that.

I even using my phone's calendar app, just to at least mark down my work days since I work all kinds of crazy shifts, but I can't handle it.

I do have a notebook however, but I'd be lying if I said there was order or sense to it. It started as a trip planning tool, then became a password book, afterwards an event notebook, a business idea book, work notes, a book quotes organizer, and now it's a general idea book.

I've bought my INTJ friend a day planner 2 years in a row now and it's kind of entertaining to watch him plan his life. I've whited out dates to mess with him before...gotta live a little, right? He wasn't happy. Js, wtf?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I use Ni actively yes. When Ni is used passively. No.

Ni is so easy cruise control wise. Makes me feel both dumb and smart at the same time.

If you get exactly what I mean you may be just my twin flame.

Because I'm lazy. I'm going to say a big fat NO.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I couldn't say if I'm particularly good or bad at something like this. My life is not heavily regimented, most of the time. I have a wall calendar (ASPCA sends me a free one annually for being a member). I keep my doctor appts on it, as they can be rather frequent. Same with veterinary stuff. I make a note of when my cat his once a week medicated bath, or when I have begun a new medication or supplement directed by my doctor, just to keep track of progress. If there's a band playing that I want to see, I put it up there.

Beyond that, any minor errands in my day-to-day life are fairly easy to remember in my head. I don't need to write it down. Most of my daily mental To-Do Lists are inherently flexible. I do as much as I have energy to, &/or switch around the tentative order of which things get done, & I try not to sweat what has to be left undone. I can get to it later. I've had to adapt this way due to a variety of health issues that can sometimes be unpredictable. I think if I had a checklist in front of me every day, I'd probably be more prone to a sense of needless distress or failure if I couldn't get to them all. As it is presently, I feel some degree of accomplishment at the end of my day, even if I was only able to get a couple things done. It may sound silly, but when medical stuff outside your control disrupts your life, the small things you CAN do, on the bad days, make all the difference. That sense of accomplishment keeps my momentum up, so I look forward to what I can do next - when I'm up to it - vs have all my energy just drained/feel constantly inadequate, focusing on the negative, what's always lacking.

I think an overly regimented lifestyle can create that kind of needless pressure for certain people, regardless of any health issues, etc. However, it could be argued that a total lack of structure could create the same issue, or perhaps others. But, whatever works for you to grow & improve your life, works for you. That's all that matters.

In short, I dunno if it's a J/P thing, to stick to a planner, & I can't really answer the poll. Regardless of type, humans thrive in a variety of ways.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am the master of organization and timeliness.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
No. Embarassingly bad. Feel incapable. Sure that I really am not incapable and that if I really made it my lifes goal to keep the planner I could do it-but... So many failed attempts. So much stress. I just hardly see it as... Worth the anxiety that it would cause.

I just try to remember. I have reminders on my phone now. And actually-maybe I do use a day planner because I mean habitica gets quite a bit of attention from me-in the 'to-do's' section as well as some of the others...

So electonically... Sure. Maybe. If I reach far for it.

I would always forget lose buy a new one forget get confused forget freak out forget double back freak out forget lose freak out give up start again and recycle.