User Tag List

12 Last

Default ADHD making a J mistype as a P?

I know there have been a few threads examining the correlation (or lack thereof) of ADHD and MBIT types. However, I am specifically interested in the question of whether someone with (untreated) ADHD might be be mistype themselves as a P when they are in fact a J.

I'd be very curious to hear any thoughts and experiences in this area.
    Likes Masokissed liked this post

I am pretty sure my friend is an ENFJ with severe ADHD.... At first, he seems to be very Pish because he can be rather impulsive, constantly has 10 million things going on at once, has a hard time keeping track of his schedule, reactive, has a hard time with being consistent, does almost everything at the last minute.

However, his whole worldview is incredibly Fe because he's always talking about how we can impact OTHERS, how he wants to be "all things to all people". His network of relationships is incredibly thought-out and somewhat methodical. He constantly seeks out and craves "deep connection" with others.

Plus, he gets really annoyed at people if they can't get things the way he sees them (Ni).

I considered ENTP, but he's seems way too verbally emotive and emotionally reactive to be centered on Ti. I actually have to correct his word usage because he has a habit of making up words, misusing them.

Funnily enough, as another ENFJ, I can get his thought process better than most, but I also help him to keep his vision (Ni) on track, especially with my diligence partly caused by my anxiety issues.

Basically, it's about looking at the actual motivations rather than reading too much into surface behaviors.

Enneagram
    6w7

Hm, I think this is why it's a good idea to type by functions instead.
    6w7 // 2w3 // xxx

Senior Member Captain_Invincible's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    IDK sx/so

Wink This is what I have been trying to say for the past 5 months...

Quote Originally Posted by Protege View Post
    I am pretty sure my friend is an ENFJ with severe ADHD.... At first, he seems to be very Pish because he can be rather impulsive, constantly has 10 million things going on at once, has a hard time keeping track of his schedule, reactive, has a hard time with being consistent, does almost everything at the last minute.

However, his whole worldview is incredibly Fe because he's always talking about how we can impact OTHERS, how he wants to be "all things to all people". His network of relationships is incredibly thought-out and somewhat methodical. He constantly seeks out and craves "deep connection" with others.

Plus, he gets really annoyed at people if they can't get things the way he sees them (Ni).

I considered ENTP, but he's seems way too verbally emotive and emotionally reactive to be centered on Ti. I actually have to correct his word usage because he has a habit of making up words, misusing them.

Basically, it's about looking at the actual motivations rather than reading too much into surface behaviors.
    Thank you.

This is why people are so set on me being Pe-Dom.
    They never actually read between the lines.
    They never actually think outside the box.
    They never actually think about things rationally.
    They go by surface behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    Thank you.

This is why people are so set on me being Pe-Dom.
    They never actually read between the lines.
    They never actually think outside the box.
    They never actually think about things rationally.
    They go by surface behaviour.
    My ENFJ friend wouldn't even bother with such people... he would be like, "whatever" and would have better things to do... But yeah, that stuff gets annoying. Lol .

Senior Member Captain_Invincible's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    IDK sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Protege View Post
    My ENFJ friend wouldn't even bother with such people... he would be like, "whatever" and would have better things to do... But yeah, that stuff gets annoying. Lol .
    Meh, yeah.
    Whatever.
    Likes Tilt liked this post

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I would think it's the other way around. Especially 7w8 thinking they're a J

@psyche - See, the thing is that people tend to treat the J/P dichotomy as the structured/unstructured dichotomy in the big five. Supposedly, the two highly correlate with one another. That is, those with a high structured score in the big five supposedly are more than likely J types in MBTI. But what's strange about this is that people insist that the J/P dichotomy in MBTI is NOT simply the structured/unstructured dichotomy in the big five. So what is it really then? I can't say for certain...as no one seems to be able to define it clear enough without just saying "herp derp look at the functions." I see that as a bit of a cop out, personally.

What I'm getting at is the answer to your question is most definitely "yes." In the big five, someone with bad enough ADHD is likely to be an unstructured type, which I do NOT necessarily see as correlating with the MBTI P type. That is, provided that the J/P dichotomy IS actually more complicated than the big five dichotomy. You'll find contrasting ideas everywhere. MBTI is not a science, it's a game...and everyone likes to play by their own rules.

Default ADHD making a J mistype as a P?

I'm an INFP and one of the one in a hundred ADDH types who is classed ADHD.

You may know more about it than me but my thinking is,. if a J mistypes as a P it's not because of there ADHD. Hyperactivity is hyperactivity and it flowers with, against, through, and via all four energies, S. N. F. T.

Thanks for your posts. One thing is that not all people with ADHD are in fact hyperactive, and I'm referring only to those ADHD behaviors that do in fact overlap with the description of perceiving. That said, no doubt ADHD, like other psychological diagnoses, clearly complicates the picture when it comes to typing.