• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ADHD making a J mistype as a P?

psyche

I know there have been a few threads examining the correlation (or lack thereof) of ADHD and MBIT types. However, I am specifically interested in the question of whether someone with (untreated) ADHD might be be mistype themselves as a P when they are in fact a J.

I'd be very curious to hear any thoughts and experiences in this area.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am pretty sure my friend is an ENFJ with severe ADHD.... At first, he seems to be very Pish because he can be rather impulsive, constantly has 10 million things going on at once, has a hard time keeping track of his schedule, reactive, has a hard time with being consistent, does almost everything at the last minute.

However, his whole worldview is incredibly Fe because he's always talking about how we can impact OTHERS, how he wants to be "all things to all people". His network of relationships is incredibly thought-out and somewhat methodical. He constantly seeks out and craves "deep connection" with others.

Plus, he gets really annoyed at people if they can't get things the way he sees them (Ni).

I considered ENTP, but he's seems way too verbally emotive and emotionally reactive to be centered on Ti. I actually have to correct his word usage because he has a habit of making up words, misusing them.

Funnily enough, as another ENFJ, I can get his thought process better than most, but I also help him to keep his vision (Ni) on track, especially with my diligence partly caused by my anxiety issues.

Basically, it's about looking at the actual motivations rather than reading too much into surface behaviors.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Hm, I think this is why it's a good idea to type by functions instead.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is what I have been trying to say for the past 5 months...

I am pretty sure my friend is an ENFJ with severe ADHD.... At first, he seems to be very Pish because he can be rather impulsive, constantly has 10 million things going on at once, has a hard time keeping track of his schedule, reactive, has a hard time with being consistent, does almost everything at the last minute.

However, his whole worldview is incredibly Fe because he's always talking about how we can impact OTHERS, how he wants to be "all things to all people". His network of relationships is incredibly thought-out and somewhat methodical. He constantly seeks out and craves "deep connection" with others.

Plus, he gets really annoyed at people if they can't get things the way he sees them (Ni).

I considered ENTP, but he's seems way too verbally emotive and emotionally reactive to be centered on Ti. I actually have to correct his word usage because he has a habit of making up words, misusing them.

Basically, it's about looking at the actual motivations rather than reading too much into surface behaviors.

Thank you.

This is why people are so set on me being Pe-Dom.
They never actually read between the lines.
They never actually think outside the box.
They never actually think about things rationally.
They go by surface behaviour.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank you.

This is why people are so set on me being Pe-Dom.
They never actually read between the lines.
They never actually think outside the box.
They never actually think about things rationally.
They go by surface behaviour.

My ENFJ friend wouldn't even bother with such people... he would be like, "whatever" and would have better things to do... But yeah, that stuff gets annoying. Lol .

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My ENFJ friend wouldn't even bother with such people... he would be like, "whatever" and would have better things to do... But yeah, that stuff gets annoying. Lol .

Meh, yeah.
Whatever.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would think it's the other way around. Especially 7w8 thinking they're a J

DaftGuru

[MENTION=7609]psyche[/MENTION] - See, the thing is that people tend to treat the J/P dichotomy as the structured/unstructured dichotomy in the big five. Supposedly, the two highly correlate with one another. That is, those with a high structured score in the big five supposedly are more than likely J types in MBTI. But what's strange about this is that people insist that the J/P dichotomy in MBTI is NOT simply the structured/unstructured dichotomy in the big five. So what is it really then? I can't say for certain...as no one seems to be able to define it clear enough without just saying "herp derp look at the functions." I see that as a bit of a cop out, personally.

What I'm getting at is the answer to your question is most definitely "yes." In the big five, someone with bad enough ADHD is likely to be an unstructured type, which I do NOT necessarily see as correlating with the MBTI P type. That is, provided that the J/P dichotomy IS actually more complicated than the big five dichotomy. You'll find contrasting ideas everywhere. MBTI is not a science, it's a game...and everyone likes to play by their own rules.

KitchenFly

I'm an INFP and one of the one in a hundred ADDH types who is classed ADHD.

You may know more about it than me but my thinking is,. if a J mistypes as a P it's not because of there ADHD. Hyperactivity is hyperactivity and it flowers with, against, through, and via all four energies, S. N. F. T.

psyche

Thanks for your posts. One thing is that not all people with ADHD are in fact hyperactive, and I'm referring only to those ADHD behaviors that do in fact overlap with the description of perceiving. That said, no doubt ADHD, like other psychological diagnoses, clearly complicates the picture when it comes to typing.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ADHD without hyperactivity is called simply ADD, or at least that is what I think...