• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Ti Dominance vs Te Dominance

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is the difference between Ti dominance and Te dominance?

I can relate to both these functions as my dominance, and Inferior Feeling.

I have read both in depth and can relate to both of them strongly.

People have typed me as both Ti and Te dominant in the past.

What is the best way to define, and differentiate between the two?

I want to know, so that I can get a more accurate image of the two functions and decide once and for all which one dominates my functional stack.

Thanks.

VagrantFarce

It seems to me that Ti & Te are both interested in creating "logical" distinctions. The difference is between introverted & extroverted judgement.

• Extroverted Judgement (Te, Fe) is linear, utilitarian, directive, rationalizing, objective and controlling. It's about organising people and the environment, rationalizing things "out loud", and providing a forward momentum that's easy to follow and make sense of.

• Introverted Judgement (Ti & Fi) is more like an inner barometer - it's non-linear, personal and holistic. It's less about pinning things down externally, but rather about providing a kind of compass for the individual's subjective awareness. As a result, the process becomes far less accessible to others.
To focus on Ti & Te specifically:

• Te, being objective, is "logic" tied to a time and place. There are agreements that must be made, and logical outcomes we must be mindful of. Reason speaks for itself, and our job is to simply point it out and let it guide us. It's linear, rational, authoritative, deferential, accessible and inclusive. In the same way Fe reasons about a "greater good" amongst people, Te speaks on behalf of a "reason" that is bigger than any one of us - almost as something that we must submit ourselves to (see Objectivism as a very extreme, but illustrative example of this).

• Ti is more of an internal barometer - in a way, what you're making logical sense of is yourself and your own subjective experience. In the same way Fi asks "what is important to me?", Ti asks "what makes sense to me?" It's not something that's generally applicable to other people, and is only really raised in the "objective" world as the exception to the rule. It's timeless, personal and holistic, much in the same way Te is circumstantial, "objective" and purpose-driven. Types that orient around Ti generally understand that everyone has their own weird logic that they live by, and often talk in terms of "internal logic".

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ti is concerned with form and function of thought. All ideas, concepts, associations, etc are filtered in and sorted into a framework with dom Ti.

Te is concerned with form of function in the external (i.e. the environment external to the walls of where inner thought meet outward expression and application of thought).

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=5632]VagrantFarce[/MENTION] - Thank you for defining and explaining the differences between Ji and Je. Why do people still think these are similar. Is it because of the similarity between the processes involved to create both functions or the fact they both Judgement functions?

VagrantFarce

[MENTION=5632]VagrantFarce[/MENTION] - Thank you for defining and explaining the differences between Ji and Je. Why do people still think these are similar. Is it because of the similarity between the processes involved to create both functions or the fact they both Judgement functions?

I couldn't tell you. Perhaps it's just that they're both referred to as "thinking" processes, which creates too much of a false equivelency. They're both to do with "logic", but then they shift in wildly different ways.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always have to clarify to people many times that "thinking" means assessing with logic, and it doesn't mean that a feeling type doesn't think, it simply means that they assess based on feelings and not rationality. I personally don't like adhering to Te, as it's often a conflict of my personal logic's interest. Like [MENTION=5632]VagrantFarce[/MENTION] said, Ti users understand that people have different perspectives and different points of interest - or seemingly make decisions more often considerate of this. Instead of judging, say, the moral value of one's actions, the Ti dominant may try to rationalize why they did, and if they cannot rationalize it, then determine that it was "incorrect." This is why I will often have trouble with things like certain plots or choosing sides in an argument (not only because it's petty or uninteresting) - because it's easy to understand what someone's reasoning behind something might be, and you even learn to sympathize with the "bad guy," who is only subjectively "bad."

Anyway, [MENTION=23098]Captain_Invincible[/MENTION], I'm quite convinced that you're a ES type, at the least. More than anything, I know that you are not Ji dominant.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I couldn't tell you. Perhaps it's just that they're both referred to as "thinking" processes, which creates too much of a false equivelency. They're both to do with "logic", but then they shift in wildly different ways.

Yes.

I always have to clarify to people many times that "thinking" means assessing with logic, and it doesn't mean that a feeling type doesn't think, it simply means that they assess based on feelings and not rationality. I personally don't like adhering to Te, as it's often a conflict of my personal logic's interest. Like [MENTION=5632]VagrantFarce[/MENTION] said, Ti users understand that people have different perspectives and different points of interest - or seemingly make decisions more often considerate of this. Instead of judging, say, the moral value of one's actions, the Ti dominant may try to rationalize why they did, and if they cannot rationalize it, then determine that it was "incorrect." This is why I will often have trouble with things like certain plots or choosing sides in an argument (not only because it's petty or uninteresting) - because it's easy to understand what someone's reasoning behind something might be, and you even learn to sympathize with the "bad guy," who is only subjectively "bad."

Anyway, [MENTION=23098]Captain_Invincible[/MENTION], I'm quite convinced that you're a ES type, at the least. More than anything, I know that you are not Ji dominant.

Thanks for your input.

Do you find that if you are in a group of people (say a social circle, a class project or work etc.), that Te users may find your Ti 'inefficient' to them because it is focused subjectively as opposed to objectively?

On a side note: I didn't ask you to type me. If I did, I would have placed this in 'What's My Type?'. I just want to know how one can differentiate between Ti and Te on a basic level.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Ji inhibits one from making decisions. It needs to process and process again its thoughts/environment and conclude/what it all means/the ultimate logic behind it all before it does it all over again. Not so sure about Fi doms (since I have no Fi) but this is what I have noticed with Ti doms.

Te is decisive. It takes action. These are the facts, this is the best course of action one could arrive at from the facts.

So which one are you? The one who feels overwhelmed to make decisions but the one that makes decisions quickly. It is possible you are neither one of these doms.

Last edited:

D'Ascoyne

Do you find that if you are in a group of people (say a social circle, a class project or work etc.), that Te users may find your Ti 'inefficient' to them because it is focused subjectively as opposed to objectively?

If I can jump into this discussion, my impression of Ti Dom is they are independent. 'Inefficient' can sort of play into it, but once you get to know better the intimate workings of any individual IxTP's mind, then 'independent' > 'inefficient', I think.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

From my biased pov, I find Ti to be very tedious. Breaking things down really minutely, desiring and explaining details, needing those pieces to form their cohesive picture of what's going on. From Te pov it can be very tiresome.

Te to a Ti user is I think glossing over important things, is more blunt, impatient, is more interested in execution than defining. And isn't capturing all of what's needed.

In general. ofc both are useful/needed in different areas of life.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From my biased pov, I find Ti to be very tedious. Breaking things down really minutely, desiring and explaining details, needing those pieces to form their cohesive picture of what's going on. From Te pov it can be very tiresome.

Te to a Ti user is I think glossing over important things, is more blunt, impatient, is more interested in execution than defining. And isn't capturing all of what's needed.

In general. ofc both are useful/needed in different areas of life.

Do you find that you tire a lot easier with Ti Dominants than EXTPs in general conversation when they try explain their concepts of what they believe to be logical to you, or do you have a certain threshold of Ti exposure that tires you, no matter what the type? Curious to know.

I find myself to get frustrated after a certain amount of Pe Dominance (especially Ne), regardless of type. The high energy randomity really starts to not make sense to me after a while. I just give up and move on to something I have to/want to do.

Yeah, so basically Ti wants to be able to assess the whole picture before making any decisions that may effect their own understanding of the impact they will make on their environment and Te is more interested in making a decision through a brief assessment of facts and impacting their environment through those facts? Internal vs External pretty much-- logic vs facts (in short?)

I guess they are both useful or needed in different areas of life like engineering, statistical analysis, managing business etc. Both functions are need for different jobs, which is why you can see a lot of IxTPs or ExTJs within one field.

If I can jump into this discussion, my impression of Ti Dom is they are independent. 'Inefficient' can sort of play into it, but once you get to know better the intimate workings of any individual IxTP's mind, then 'independent' > 'inefficient', I think.

This. I guess this is why some Ti users think of Te Dominants (especially ESTJs) as being robot-like, following instructions to the letter, and not able to "think for themselves". To me, that is more likely to do with Si than Te.

Ji inhibits one from making decisions. It needs to processes processes its thoughts/environment and conclude/what it all means/the ultimate logic behind it all before it does it all over again. Not so sure about Fi doms (since I have no Fi) but this is what I have noticed with Ti doms.

Te is decisive. It takes action. These are the facts, this is the best course of action one could arrive at from the facts.

So which one are you? The one who feels overwhelmed to make decisions but the one that makes decisions quickly. It is possible you are neither one of these doms.

So Ti is like a detailed view of logic that dissects each part of the whole scenario and assesses that whole scenario, analyzing it and forming their own logical conclusions about it before making any decisions that will impact their environment, and Te will take the core facts/ logical essance of the whole, make their decision and base their decision on that in order to impact the environment around them?

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
So Ti is like a detailed view of logic that dissects each part of the whole scenario and assesses that whole scenario, analyzing it and forming their own logical conclusions about it before making any decisions that will impact their environment, and Te will take the core facts/ logical essance of the whole, make their decision and base their decision on that in order to impact the environment around them?

I don't know that impact measurement is the best way to talk about Ti, since it is more concerned with internal systems - soundness, validity and consistency in theories is one example; how all the minuscule parts in a machine work is another.

Te is the one concerned with external mechanics - bills and payment, business, order and priority, task completion, RESULTS measurable by an external standard. Te-doms want to know what works and then put it to use. Ti-doms are probably more interested in how it works and whether the internal system is complete and consistent.

For what it's worth, as an ESTJ, my interest in internal systems is limited - once I learn what I need to know in order to tackle my next endeavor, I move on and my interest wanes there. I rarely pursue a theory or invest much time into how an appliance works beyond what I need to know in order to achieve results. Ti-doms are much more likely to pursue these topics with enthusiasm and the drive to know beyond what is necessary, because they want to complete the system map in their minds as it were and make certain it is consistent.

Permabanned
Ti: a hammer is useful to hammer a nail.
Te: everything looks like a nail.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ti - Looks at the internal, seeks for the internal process within the object to be able to define it based on a subjective logic. The basic quiestion for Ti therefor is - "how does this work?"

Te - Looks at the external, seeks for the logical implication of the object in the real world around them. The basic question for Te therefor is - "How can I make this work?"

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It seems to me that Ti & Te are both interested in creating "logical" distinctions. The difference is between introverted & extroverted judgement.

• Extroverted Judgement (Te, Fe) is linear, utilitarian, directive, rationalizing, objective and controlling. It's about organising people and the environment, rationalizing things "out loud", and providing a forward momentum that's easy to follow and make sense of.

• Introverted Judgement (Ti & Fi) is more like an inner barometer - it's non-linear, personal and holistic. It's less about pinning things down externally, but rather about providing a kind of compass for the individual's subjective awareness. As a result, the process becomes far less accessible to others.
To focus on Ti & Te specifically:

• Te, being objective, is "logic" tied to a time and place. There are agreements that must be made, and logical outcomes we must be mindful of. Reason speaks for itself, and our job is to simply point it out and let it guide us. It's linear, rational, authoritative, deferential, accessible and inclusive. In the same way Fe reasons about a "greater good" amongst people, Te speaks on behalf of a "reason" that is bigger than any one of us - almost as something that we must submit ourselves to (see Objectivism as a very extreme, but illustrative example of this).

• Ti is more of an internal barometer - in a way, what you're making logical sense of is yourself and your own subjective experience. In the same way Fi asks "what is important to me?", Ti asks "what makes sense to me?" It's not something that's generally applicable to other people, and is only really raised in the "objective" world as the exception to the rule. It's timeless, personal and holistic, much in the same way Te is circumstantial, "objective" and purpose-driven. Types that orient around Ti generally understand that everyone has their own weird logic that they live by, and often talk in terms of "internal logic".

Ji will say " I believe" while Je says "this is how things are". I don't really see Te as anymore objective then Ti.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ji will say " I believe" while Je says "this is how things are". I don't really see Te as anymore objective then Ti.

I agree. Well-stated.

VagrantFarce

I mean objective in the Jungian sense of being impartial, or just plain without subjectivity.

When you say "objective", do you mean "impersonal", or perhaps "truthful"? Because I don't think it's accurate to treat them as synonymous in this case.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ti - Looks at the internal, seeks for the internal process within the object to be able to define it based on a subjective logic. The basic quiestion for Ti therefor is - "how does this work?"

Te - Looks at the external, seeks for the logical implication of the object in the real world around them. The basic question for Te therefor is - "How can I make this work?"

Would you say that shows like 'How It's Made' are Ti based, and documentaries are more Te based traditionally?

If Ti is 'I believe this is how X works', and Te is 'X is a lever, and this is how it will work', does Ni and Ne work in a similar way, only with Inuition? (I know this is a little off topic, but I am curious, because I see so many differences between xNTJs and xNTPs who use Dominant/Auxiliary Thinking/Intuition, yet people still see them as coming across similarly).

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Would you say that shows like 'How It's Made' are Ti based, and documentaries are more Te based traditionally?

I don't see how documentaries are Te.... documentaries just explain or analyze a problem, they don't make things work. Management is Te, the most succesful managers are ExTJs.