• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stereotype debunking thread.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In no particular order, and off the top of my head.

Ways I fit the stereotypes:
  • I'm organized, structured, consistent, and predictable. See this list? I'm obsessed with lists.
  • I get angry when things don't go my way, and I'm easily flustered.
  • I'm incredibly Lawful Good, and have always been, sometimes obnoxiously (moralizing, lecturing, etc). I'm basically Hermione Granger.
  • I'm uncomfortable expressing my emotions to others, unless I'm doing so in the context of getting something done, or making someone laugh. To this day, it's very difficult for me to open up in any way except the written word.
  • I act much older than I am. ( [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION], who thinks I'm a grandma, and [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION], who is 10 years older than me and thinks I act older than her, can back me up.)
  • Recently I've become passionate about exercise and healthy eating (though I have been a late bloomer in this regard).
  • I tend to evangelize the things that I care about.
  • I'm very judgmental.
  • I think I would have done well in the military, if it lined up with my moral code, which it doesn't.
  • I am literally a middle manager.

Ways I break the stereotypes:
  • I'm capable of critical thinking.
  • I enjoy thought experiments (e.g. alternate history narratives) and sci-fi/fantasy books.
  • I was the artistic one, growing up (even with the moody artistic temperament). Most of my hobbies relate to the arts. My general well-being suffers when I don't have an artistic outlet.
  • I'm actually intelligent(!), went to an elite college, and did well at said college.
  • I understand, and appreciate, the value of diplomacy, and I try to be diplomatic in my interactions with people -- because being a bull in a china shop isn't always the best way to get what you want out of a situation. In order to get what you want, you need to be able to adapt. The strongest structures are also the most flexible.
  • I'm socially and fiscally liberal, very socially progressive, and hipster af. Someday I hope to have a lot of tattoos, but I don't know what they'll be yet.
  • Not only am I thoughtful and introspective, but I actually enjoy being thoughtful and introspective -- creating order in my internal environment is relaxing for my Te in the same way as creating order in my external environment.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
^ Powerful tert Ne. :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Powerful tert Ne. :D
That's what happens when you have an INTP dad who likes to play the "let's see how smart my kid is" game. :D We did thought experiments all the time.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's what happens when you have an INTP dad who likes to play the "let's see how smart my kid is" game. :D We did thought experiments all the time.

On the flip side it could explain why I have some 'sensorish' tendencies (step father ISTJ/mother ESFJ). All that exposure incubated my baby Si.

You could be an ESNTJ?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
On the flip side it could explain why I have some 'sensorish' tendencies (step father ISTJ/mother ESFJ). All that exposure incubated my baby Si.
:yes: Sounds right.

You could be an ESNTJ?
Oh definitely not. I score pretty strongly on every letter, when I take tests. And my Ne fits the stereotypical tertiary-Ne role pretty well, even if it is strong and well-developed.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't know about other INTPs but I don't only befriend 'intellectuals'. I can be friends with anyone I have something in common with.
I don't think I'm that bad at reading people's emotions at all, acting in response to them is a diff matter.
I believe in God.
Yes, I don't think I know it all and am always open to people disproving things that I say, but in some instances with certain people, I have a problem verbally admitting I was wrong.
I haven't constantly had top grades.
Also I'm a very thoughtful, kind person thank you very much, it might not show all the time but I do try to help when appropriate and I wish people would stop ignoring and forgetting those times.
Lastly, enough with the INTPs don't care about pop culture or celebrities or this or that. I will be interested in whatever I'm interested in at the time, regardless of how intellectual you think it is.

P.S. I hate video games cos they're rarely interesting, and I suck at majority of them.

á´…eparted

passages
I should probably make a proper list instead of just posting things to poke fun. These are the general ones anyway. I could write a lot.

ENFJ stereotypes I fit:

+ I am super expressive and emotive in voice, face, and body language. If I feel something, and it's not entirely inappropriate, I am going to express it.
+ I am constantly reading social dynamics and have a persistent internal dialouge that is tracking it. It dictates what I say and do.
+ If someone is hurt (emotionally or physically) or experiences an emergency, I will leap to solve it and help as much as possible.
+ I'm very political and feel very strongly about many political and social causes.
+ I am enthusiastic about many things and it's generally infectious.
+ I have opinions for days and I freely share them and can get rather soap boxy about them.
+ I play moral police very frequently.
+ I am kinda crazy.
+ I am capable of being socially down right evil a la Regina George.

ENFJ stereotypes I break:

- I do not love everyone. In fact, I hate far more people than I like.
- I'm a scientist and I am very good at it.
- I can be extremely cold, and it's my default around most new people.
- I have a dial where I can turn off my emotions.
- I am staunchly atheist, and generally really dislike religion/spiritual things.
- I have absolutely zero desire to get involved in activism or volunteerism.
- I have absolutely no problem with confrontation, and willingly engage in it in various forms on a regular basis.
- While tempered, I am extremely blunt and straight-forward.
- I put no effort into making people feel comfortable when joining a group. I put that responsibility on them.
- I have a fairly strong "do as I say not as I do!" mentality. In particular when I am being "bad".

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
In no particular order, and off the top of my head.

Ways I fit the stereotypes:
  • I'm organized, structured, consistent, and predictable. See this list? I'm obsessed with lists.
  • I get angry when things don't go my way, and I'm easily flustered.
  • I'm incredibly Lawful Good, and have always been, sometimes obnoxiously (moralizing, lecturing, etc). I'm basically Hermione Granger.
  • I'm uncomfortable expressing my emotions to others, unless I'm doing so in the context of getting something done, or making someone laugh. To this day, it's very difficult for me to open up in any way except the written word.
  • I act much older than I am. ( [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION], who thinks I'm a grandma, and [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION], who is 10 years older than me and thinks I act older than her, can back me up.)
  • Recently I've become passionate about exercise and healthy eating (though I have been a late bloomer in this regard).
  • I tend to evangelize the things that I care about.
  • I'm very judgmental.
  • I think I would have done well in the military, if it lined up with my moral code, which it doesn't.
  • I am literally a middle manager.

Ways I break the stereotypes:
  • I'm capable of critical thinking.
  • I enjoy thought experiments (e.g. alternate history narratives) and sci-fi/fantasy books.
  • I was the artistic one, growing up (even with the moody artistic temperament). Most of my hobbies relate to the arts. My general well-being suffers when I don't have an artistic outlet.
  • I'm actually intelligent(!), went to an elite college, and did well at said college.
  • I understand, and appreciate, the value of diplomacy, and I try to be diplomatic in my interactions with people -- because being a bull in a china shop isn't always the best way to get what you want out of a situation. In order to get what you want, you need to be able to adapt. The strongest structures are also the most flexible.
  • I'm socially and fiscally liberal, very socially progressive, and hipster af. Someday I hope to have a lot of tattoos, but I don't know what they'll be yet.
  • Not only am I thoughtful and introspective, but I actually enjoy being thoughtful and introspective -- creating order in my internal environment is relaxing for my Te in the same way as creating order in my external environment.

but you knit.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Stereotypical Introversion Traits:
  1. My energy gets drained after prolonged social interaction. (A big one)
  2. If given the choice, I would choose to have a very few but very loyal friends over having hundreds of fairweather but fun friends.
  3. I think first before I speak or do something. I need time to work up the energy to say or do something, and hate it when I have to rush into something without having the proper time to soak up information about it first.
  4. I love spending time either alone, or with 1-3 other people.
  5. I love doing solitary hobbies, such as reading a book or walking in a forest.
  6. I've been told that I need to socialize more, and I have offended a few students during my time in college before because I don't speak enough and therefore I must be a b*tch.
Surprising Ways I Break The Stereotypes:
  1. I am annoying.
  2. I can be outgoing when I'm in my element, for example, a forum or in a group of good friends.
  3. Despite being introverted, I frequently feel lonely and desire relationships with other people.
  4. I can be loud sometimes. Don't know why.
  5. I used to be very gushy and huggy with friends and family when I was younger. Can still be like that, though it is going away the older I am becoming.
  6. The prospect of socializing excites me. Oh, you're inviting me to the movies with you??? OMG YES LET ME GET MY COAT!

Stereotypical Intuitive Traits:
  1. I daydream a lot as a child, and I still catch myself doing it from time to time. Real life overwhelms me.
  2. I love getting to know about the mysterious, the unknown, theories, and so on.
  3. Details are of no concern for me. Because of this, I often miss a lot of things that are obvious to others until they point it out to me. I frequently trip over myself and hit myself by accident. (Bad situation awareness)
  4. I process information with my brain rather than my five senses, though of course, I do notice sighs, smells, etc. I just like to think about what I'm looking at over what it looks or smells like or whatever.
  5. I frequently read between the lines.
  6. I connect the dots, the hidden trends, so much so that I can be psychic and know what's going to happen next before it happens.
  1. I do sometimes miss the big picture.
  2. I can be so hung up on the tiny details that I aggrivate other people.
  3. I prefer realistic artwork over abstract art.
  4. I connect with real people over fictional characters.
  5. I can be surprisingly traditional/conservative on a few subjects.
  6. I am realistic rather than cynical or even idealistic.
  7. I enjoy reading books about practical hobbies such as how to cook or play an instrument.

Stereotypical Feeling Traits:
  1. I am emotional, though I try to hide it.
  2. I am sensitive.
  3. I feel for people and things in life very strongly, and I wear my heart on my sleeves.
  4. I desire and enjoy human relationships.
  5. I'd rather focus on my personal relationships over inanimate objects.
  6. I am careful to choose my words so that I do not offend others, and hate it when other people are rude just because.
  7. Emotions are frequently obvious on my face, despite trying so hard not to show this too much.
  8. When life gets too much, I break down and cry.
  1. When in anger, annoyance, or other negative emotions, I can say something deep and cutting to another person seemingly out of nowhere.
  2. I understand that logical steps must be taken, even if it may cost a relationship or even hurt somebody else.
  3. I get annoyed by logical inconsistencies in other people.
  4. I really love scientific topics; space travel, medical science, zoology, etc.
  5. I love debating with others. The more riled up I can make other people feel, the better.
  6. I strive for fairness in most of the things I do.

Stereotypical Judging Traits:
  1. I am nearly always on time. For school, for work, for appointments, to meet up with friends, you name the time, and I'll be there on the dot.
  2. I cannot stand people who act super spontaneous all the time, or are late or wasting my time. I need consistency.
  3. I love making lists and daily activities to cross off when I'm done for the day.
  4. I am high strung.
  5. Even when I do take quite a while to finish something, I wil make sure, even if it is many years from now, that I will complete it. Don't worry.
  6. I am anal retentive about where I put my belongings, and I will have a panic attack if people just put my stuff wherever they want. And even if I do sometimes put my stuff wherever I want, I know I'll regret it because it just creates chaos all around me.
  7. I can make a decision and stick with it, unlike my dear spouse, who makes a million and one pauses and second guesses about what to choose. :wubbie:
  8. I love commitment.
  1. I am really not into that Pinterest "How To Organize Your Room So Well That Your Friends Will Convulse" BS. I can make my room neat and clean, but I just can't deal with systems or anything insane like that.
  2. Yes, I was bad at school. Yes, I skipped class, I faked illness to stay home, I broke the rules, I got into trouble.
  3. I have crappy handwriting, and my study notes leave a lot to be desired.
  4. I procrasinate like nobody's business.
  5. I can be lazy a lot of the times. I just love to relax and move slowly through daily life!
  6. I can say something offputting out of nowhere, surprising a lot of people in the process.
  7. There were a few moments in my life where I've acted out of control, such as sneaking around or lying to see friends when I wasn't supposed to be outside.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] All your non-stereotypical ENFJ things are stereotypical 1 things!

but you knit.
Yes. But is that hipster or is that grandma?

Or is there a difference??

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] All your non-stereotypical ENFJ things are stereotypical 1 things!

Yes. But is that hipster or is that grandma?

Or is there a difference??

the fact that i thought you were 50 when you first joined and the fact that you knit and bake makes you a grandma in my mind that wants to be a 20 something hipster.