• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stereotype debunking thread.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most SFJs are female, and most women will be ISFJs. That is a correct stereotype.
Most MBTI statistics I see show men as over 30% of ISFJs, with over 40% of men being some F type. Those are very large minorities. Large enough that one's odds of being incorrect in a gender-based assumption are quite high, too high for my tastes.

As for INTJs, not all of us want to take over the world. For some of us, it is enough to take over our own small corner of it.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTPs aren't all interested strictly in math and science fields. May be greatly due to the fact that at least at less advanced levels, these subjects are most generally taught with Te style, not allowing them to spark much intrigue. INTPs are instead interested in a variety of subject areas and bring their unusual logic to that subject. INTPs are not all stereotypical nerds who don't have any interest outside of theorizing, although I do end up doing a lot of theorizing and analyzing even if I am involved in a more hands-on activity. I find that the way I learn is by understanding the ins and outs of every aspect of the subject, exploring possibilities for improvement and different ways that a goal might be approaches. Understanding is generally the key to success.

rmrf

INTPs aren't as level headed and dispassionate as we give on; we are dispassionately passionate, and while we seldom express Fi, we internally have strong Fi opinions which we pass of as Ti

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Not all rabbits are rabbits. Some rabbits are jackelopes.

As for INTPs, I hate soda (especially Mountain Dew) and being in basements. But I'm from Michigan and our basmenents are notoriously bad, so that might have something to do with it.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
There are no stereotypes only mistypes.

Happy to play an advocationary devil. :devil:

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Not all rabbits are rabbits. Some rabbits are jackelopes.

As for INTPs, I hate soda (especially Mountain Dew) and being in basements. But I'm from Michigan and our basmenents are notoriously bad, so that might have something to do with it.

I'm more of a coffee guy myself.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SJs don't value tradition any more than other types, have a good memory, and like routine.
ISTJs are not robots or incapable of being abstract.

Most SFJs are female, and most women will be ISFJs. That is a correct stereotype.

One source does not prove that most SFJs are female.

Also debunk the stereotype that women are mostly feelers and men are mostly thinkers. This causes a lot of mistypes.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not all 5's are Thinkers, not all 5's are into science and mathematics entirely.

Not all 5's are reclusive, some are very social.

Not all INFJ's are female. Don't assume the male INFJ will somehow integrate with masculine qualities easily just because he is biologically a male.

Same for male ISFJ's. But somehow male ISFJ's integrate better with the ladies. Lol. (regardless of sexual orientation, although could have harder time more masculine-like males)

Not every FJ is a SJW. Not every FJ has to submit to your commands, in fact some may command you.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also debunk the stereotype that women are mostly feelers and men are mostly thinkers. This causes a lot of mistypes.

Even though I get your point. Please remember they are preferences and not necessarily majority/minority (in terms of preferences). I.E. T != T >> F; F != F >> T.

Therefore there still could be a man 60% thinker, women 60% feeler with all different levels of thinker/feeler variations.

40% is still a super high number to make it seem you're immersed with many female thinkers and many male feelers.

Plus I don't think men and women wouldn't have such an issue with gender if it wasn't a majority/minority issue. The majority can still learn to appreciate the other half, not necessarily to be become their opposite, but to consider their views.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
How I defy stereotypes as an ISFJ.

-Not conservative (I'm a Bernie supporter)
-Can't cook or clean to save my life
-Room so filthy it smells like dust and you can't even see the floor
-Procrastinating
-Conformity is wretched, I would never want to be "normal"
-I think and write about mysterious things and concepts
-It's hard to get out of my head and focus on the real world
-Self-aware, more comfortable with my own feelings than others'
-I love fantasy
-Idealist
-Can be cynical or terse
-Has personal values and core principles differing from society's

I'll throw in some stuff for Enneagram 2 as well.

-Doesn't have a problem taking care of self
-Relatively uncomfortable with outside emotions
-Not controlling or meddlesome
-Stingy and reluctant with money
-Passive and mellow
-Needs lots of private time
-Desires to be unique, different
-Struggles with moodiness and self-centeredness
-Fairly slow to open up
-Fantasist, introspective

I mistyped as INFP 4 for a long time because of stereotypes.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As an S, I enjoy and create works of fantasy and horror. Hundred-year-old monster fiction is my biggest inspiration. In my context, it doesn't feel like a contradiction to my functional stack at all. In fact, I feel that it supports it.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
More women are feelers and more men are thinkers, but these are small majorities. Significant percentages of each gender have the opposite preference. Much of what is presented as male/female differences is actually T/F differences. This leads to criticisms of women Ts as being mannish, and male Fs as being effeminate. Nothing of the sort. They are simply being the Ts and Fs they naturally are.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More women are feelers and more men are thinkers, but these are small majorities. Significant percentages of each gender have the opposite preference. Much of what is presented as male/female differences is actually T/F differences. This leads to criticisms of women Ts as being mannish, and male Fs as being effeminate. Nothing of the sort. They are simply being the Ts and Fs they naturally are.

That is the idea, yes. But there is no evidence to confirm that this is actually biologically true. It could easily be a stereotype that we have been led to believe. Because of that it could be true that there is a majority that exists. Even so, it could still lead to people mistyping themselves as a feeler/thinker because of the majority of their gender. I think everyone should consider that bias when finding their personality type.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I want the rose colored glasses I'm guaranteed as an INFP. I've checked my mailbox, under the bed, my closet, and the food cupboard. I've also checked my face but those are just my regular glasses.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That is the idea, yes. But there is no evidence to confirm that this is actually biologically true. It could easily be a stereotype that we have been led to believe. Because of that it could be true that there is a majority that exists. Even so, it could still lead to people mistyping themselves as a feeler/thinker because of the majority of their gender. I think everyone should consider that bias when finding their personality type.
It is a fact that a small majority of women score as F on MBTI, and a small majority of men as T. This points to (at least) two questions here: (1) How accurately does the test measure actual type? and (2) Is psychological type inborn, or developed as one grows up? Everything I have read suggests type is inborn, which would mean whatever we are, it is hardwired and indeed part of our biology. So, either the gender dependence is also part of our biology, or the tests do not measure type accurately, perhaps because people's answers on the test are influenced by social conditioning. On the other hand, if there is any hereditary basis for type, the skewed gender distribution of T/F might be the result of generations of F women and T men being more likely to reproduce.

Kerik_S

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm...

Fe is not about harmony. It can be aware of it, but it in no ways makes one strive for it.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Didn't read the thread because lazy...

Also of note, I am very confident with labeling myself as an introvert and a sensor. The others are less confident.

---

Introversion - No, I do not get "drained" by other people. It's actually the opposite. I need people. People energize me. The difference is that I do not naturally tend to have very high energy levels. I am more subdued than extraverts. But it does not mean I don't like people and it does not mean I need to be alone forever (though I seem to get by on less socialization than most). Humans are social creatures! A great majority of us (though there are some SMALL exceptions) need other people, whether we like to admit it or not.

Sensing - No, I am not at all aware of the environment. Please stop with your annoying "sensotard moments" posts. I am one of the least observant people I know. Perhaps Se-dominant people (and Se-aux people depending on their mood) tend to be more highly aware of the environment than others, but that does NOT mean that I am. Introverts tend to live more in their heads than extroverts. I am clumsy and unobservant.

Thinking - I am probably a LOT more emotionally unstable than the typical thinker seems to be (though obviously I am very private about this sort of thing and don't let it show irl). I also seem to be rather emotionally aware of other people, though this was not always the case. I started to notice other people maybe in my early teen years. I also seem to give people the benefit of the doubt more often than a lot of people seem to, which is interesting. I suppose this makes me sound more like a feeler, and I will admit that I am not overly confident in the thinker aspect of my type. However, I have a reason for the typing if anyone wishes to know.

Judging/Te - I am extremely disorganized, messy, lazy, and procrastinate like there's no tomorrow. I am the least J that ever J'd.

This last bit is always annoying to get through though. The "proper" way to determine the final lettering is supposedly to determine one's cognitive functions. But then why not just do away with the current lettering system and just use FiNe for types instead of writing INFP? In MBTI, there still are definitions for more general judging and perceiving types as a dichotomy rather than as cognitive functions. The annoying bit is that there doesn't appear to be a great dichotomous definition in MBTI. Going by the big five, I am VERY unstructured. This is supposed to highly correlate with MBTI perceiving...BUT the thing is that structuredness/unstructuredness is only a small part of the MBTI judging/perceiving dichotomy. I also don't identify with Te definitions relating to organization, but I do relate to Te definitions relating to empiricism. Idk I am rambling and it is 3:30am so I am giving up on this post and stopping with all coherent thought. Cool.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am not warm and affectionate.

I'm bad at talking about my emotions and what I feel with people face to face.

I can't deal with other people's emotions. Don't cry around me

not religious, not conservative

What is cooking

Forget your name and face 2 seconds after you introduce yourself

I don't mindlessly conform to societal values and will fight for what I believe

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have a university education and like to read, in fact feel more aware of current events than a lot of "comfortable" people.